Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Thinking of trying red sea coral pro salt. Decision made: yes! with results

reefernanoman

reefernanoman

I went to buy some frags from a buddy of mine and his corals look amazing. He told me that he used to use Kent marine like me and that the red sea salt has worked for him much better. Another person in his house agreed, since he is using it too. Would it really matter in my 28G and 10g tanks? They have big tanks. This salt is twice the price of KM. MY corals have been doing pretty well on KM after 3 months. Should I try to see if it makes a difference? Thanks.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey bud. For what its worth, i've used the Red Sea since I started my tank, and my coral are all thriving. I've got nothing to compare it to, but I definitely will be buying it again when I need to....

I am just starting out and the folks at my LFS (Aquatica Aquarium Gallery) recommended Red Seal Coral Pro. They sell and stock all of the major brands (several were more expensive) and they still recommended the Red Sea. I actually went in to buy Salinity and they talked me out of it.

reefernanoman

Thanks for your replies! I can buy the 50G salt mix for KM locally for like $17. I can get the bucket of RS for 55 gallons for $33 on Amazon. That's a big price difference. So do you need 1/2 a cup per one gallon on the RS to make 1.025 specific gravity? or do you need more?

I use 2 cups per week, so I don't know if the salt in a bucket would get too hard? The KM jug works great for me at keeping the salt soft. The KM looks just like sugar.

I paid $55.00 for my 175 gallon bucket of the Red Sea. I will be mixing my first batch to fill my tank tonight; I will let you know how things go. Aquatica (LFS) said that they liked the red sea because it mixes to the specs on the side of the bucket every time.

Thanks for your replies! I can buy the 50G salt mix for KM locally for like $17. I can get the bucket of RS for 55 gallons for $33 on Amazon. That's a big price difference. So do you need 1/2 a cup per one gallon on the RS to make 1.025 specific gravity? or do you need more?

I use 2 cups per week, so I don't know if the salt in a bucket would get too hard? The KM jug works great for me at keeping the salt soft. The KM looks just like sugar.

The RS is very similar to sugar, maybe a little more fine. believe it or not, there are literally NO instructions on the bucket for mixing ratios. I have to mix a fresh batch tonight so I will pay more attention and let you know. I believe its "1/2 cup:Gal" for 1.025

reefernanoman

The RS is very similar to sugar, maybe a little more fine. believe it or not, there are literally NO instructions on the bucket for mixing ratios. I have to mix a fresh batch tonight so I will pay more attention and let you know. I believe its "1/2 cup:Gal" for 1.025

I think that someone mentioned it was 1/2 cup per gallon somewhere.

I paid $55.00 for my 175 gallon bucket of the Red Sea. I will be mixing my first batch to fill my tank tonight; I will let you know how things go. Aquatica (LFS) said that they liked the red sea because it mixes to the specs on the side of the bucket every time.

Well, $33 for 50g mix doesn't sound like a good deal to me(free shipping though). Where did you buy it?

Marc.The.Shark

Yep, I get about 1.025 @ 1/2 cup per gallon. Only mix for 30-60 mins, then bring up to temp & do water change. I have a bag of Kent that I quit using for the Coral Pro, works good. Need to donate the Kent to a homeless shelter or Goodwill & get a tax credit! Lol

reefernanoman

I'm thinking I got it wrong. I think that with the bucket, 150 gallons can come out of this from what I have read.

En,

I bought my 55 gallon mix from Marine Depot for $26.99, not a bad price. Not sure on the shipping side of things though....

Plus shipping(ground), which comes out the same as Amz, but Amz is free 2 day shipping

Yep, I get about 1.025 @ 1/2 cup per gallon. Only mix for 30-60 mins, then bring up to temp & do water change. I have a bag of Kent that I quit using for the Coral Pro, works good. Need to donate the Kent to a homeless shelter or Goodwill & get a tax credit! Lol

Yeah, I think that I'm going to try it out!

I purchased it at Aquatica Aquarium Gallery

www.aquaticsuperstore.com

They used to have a web store but I believe that they are working on a new web site. Just give them a call 330-866-0559. They actually distribute to many of the LFS in the Cleveland area. They have a pretty cool store.

reefernanoman

OK. I ordered the RS! I'll post an update after like 3 months.

I purchased it at Aquatica Aquarium Gallery

www.aquaticsuperstore.com

They used to have a web store but I believe that they are working on a new web site. Just give them a call 330-866-0559. They actually distribute to many of the LFS in the Cleveland area. They have a pretty cool store.

Cool, but I live in TX. I just got it from Amz.

RSCP should be mixed 38.2 grams per liter ow RODI to get 1.025. These instrctions are on the bucket. Works every time. Measuring salt by volume is not the best way to go IMO.

RSCP is the only salt I have used since starting my new tank last May. IMO this is the best mix I have ever used. Considering all the other costs of this hobby, I don't think it is that expensive.

I just did my first water change with it. I've used reef crystals forever but as of late I've decided to try something new. Tank looks pretty good and stuff has grown, but I think the SPS could be way better.

reefernanoman

I just cancelled my order since people say that this is a tiny bucket? I'm confused:

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Sea-ARE11220-Aquarium-55-Gallon/dp/B000YIYTIC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423757980&sr=8-2&keywords=red+sea+salt

En,

I bought my 55 gallon mix from Marine Depot for $26.99, not a bad price. Not sure on the shipping side of things though....

How big is the bucket? Sometimes Amz messes up in the description? Is it a standard size bucket or a little one?

RSCP is a good salt. I used it for years before switching to reef crystals. I couldn't tell a difference between the two other than RC being a little cheaper.

I just cancelled my order since people say that this is a tiny bucket? I'm confused:

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Sea-ARE11220-Aquarium-55-Gallon/dp/B000YIYTIC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1423757980&sr=8-2&keywords=red+sea+salt

How big is the bucket? Sometimes Amz messes up in the description? Is it a standard size bucket or a little one?

I would give Aquatica a call. I am sure that they will ship the RS.

RSCP is a good salt. I used it for years before switching to reef crystals. I couldn't tell a difference between the two other than RC being a little cheaper.

Any cyano issues over the years? I have my suspicions it's a contributing factor to mine.

reefernanoman

So I guess this is an endless debate. Some people state that they have great results with cheaper salts, and others say no.

So I guess this is an endless debate. Some people state that they have great results with cheaper salts, and others say no.

I used Kent for a few months, and had nothing spectacular happen. My growth was slow/not there at all. No corraline etc. I recently swapped to Red Sea Coral Pro (two months ago) And now my growth has exploded and I'm scraping corraline off every week.

reefernanoman

The heck with it! I did go for the bigger bucket that makes 175G, since getting the smaller one is not cost effective. Got it from MD for $77.98(ground shipping included). That amount should last me a LONG time, since I only use 2 cups per week. I'll post results in three months or so.

I used Kent for a few months, and had nothing spectacular happen. My growth was slow/not there at all. No corraline etc. I recently swapped to Red Sea Coral Pro (two months ago) And now my growth has exploded and I'm scraping corraline off every week.

Well I feel better now bud!

I honestly couldn't tell you. You apparently keep track of my tanks better than I do! In fact, I didn't even remember having those issues until you brought it up. IIRC, I knocked out those issues by increasing flow within the display. I had SPS colonies as big as a basketball in that tank so flow was lacking in some areas. I also had a semi-tank crash due to a prolonged power outage, that may have had something to do with it too. I don't remember exactly when that happened though...

But if you want to place the blame on the salt, go right ahead.

Archived