Pod Your Reef

Help Needed - Stocking a 20 Long

VW_TDI_02

I have a 20 long display tank and a 20 long sump and was looking for some help with which fish to add but I'm new to the hobby and I'm not exactly sure what I can and can't do. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Equipment

20 Long Display

20 Long Sump

PF300 Overflow Box

SCA-301 Skimmer

Current Orbit Marine

Jebao RW-4

1" Sandbed

Livestock

2 Black/White Percula Clownfish

2 Acans

1 Ricordia Mushroom

Zoanthids

1 Hammer Coral

Possible Livestock

Cleaner Shrimp - Probably the next thing I buy

Canary Blenny

Black Combtooth Blenny

Forktail Blenny

Tail Spot Blenny (kinda meh about)

Banggai Cardinal (Can I keep just two of these??)

Yellowstriped Cardinalfish

Pajama Cardinalfish

Flame Cardinal

Royal Gramma

Black Cap Basslet

Blue/Green Chromis (Do I need a school for these? If so, would I have room?)

Lemon Chromis (Same as Blue/Green Chromis. Do I need a school and do I have room?)

Bicolor Dottyback

Blue Eye Royal Dottyback

Purple Dottyback

Purplestripe Dottyback

Splended Dottyback

Yellow Dottyback

Yellow Clown Goby

Fish I Don't Want

Anything that jumps

- Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse (want but don't want a lid)

- White Banded Possum Wrasse (want but don't want a lid)

- Yellow Banded Possum Wrasse (want but don't want a lid)

- Fire fish (not really a fan)

Stay away from the dottybacks if you don't want to risk tank bullies ;)
Two banggai cardinals is what I would go for in a 20G. :)
The Chromis schools have a tendency to dwindle down to only the strongest individual. Some people keep larger schools for long periods, but that is usually in larger tanks. Chromis will thrive alone :) Just consider the fact that they are next to impossible to catch, if you ever want to remove them from the tank, lol :lol:

Good luck with the choice, dude! :)

Two banggai are definitely up there and would be pretty nice. If they thrive alone I may have to just go with a single chromis. I love the banggai cardinals but I was hoping for something with a bit more color. Would the dottybacks even bully a pair of perc clowns? Guess it's time to update the list.

Canary Blenny

Black Combtooth Blenny

Forktail Blenny

Banggai Cardinal (Two of these)

Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Two of these)

Pajama Cardinalfish (Two of these)

Flame Cardinal (Two of these)

Royal Gramma

Black Cap Basslet

Blue/Green Chromis (Only 1)

Lemon Chromis (Only 1)

Bicolor Dottyback

Blue Eye Royal Dottyback

Purple Dottyback

Purplestripe Dottyback

Splended Dottyback

Yellow Dottyback

Yellow Clown Goby

Hello. If you already have a clown pair in there, I'd probably cut it to just one more fish in the tank before things get a little....crampy.

Thinking solely on the lines of building a contrast in the tank, I might suggest a scissortail dartfish or a scooter blenny.....however, I don't think those are really great. I like clown gobies, maybe get a green one for a little color contrast? I like the cardinals and blennies, but I'd really suggest one more, not a pair. However, definitely come to a conclusion yourself - my advice is based solely on my pretty not-so-great intuition, there are also plenty of other people out there who I am sure are happy to offer advice as well.

Good luck choosing a fish, I wish you many happy returns on continuing this tank!

Hello. If you already have a clown pair in there, I'd probably cut it to just one more fish in the tank before things get a little....crampy.

Thinking solely on the lines of building a contrast in the tank, I might suggest a scissortail dartfish or a scooter blenny.....however, I don't think those are really great. I like clown gobies, maybe get a green one for a little color contrast? I like the cardinals and blennies, but I'd really suggest one more, not a pair. However, definitely come to a conclusion yourself - my advice is based solely on my pretty not-so-great intuition, there are also plenty of other people out there who I am sure are happy to offer advice as well.

Good luck choosing a fish, I wish you many happy returns on continuing this tank!

While the dartfish looks great, I'm worried about it jumping out. I was looking at the LiveAquaria page and it says that it needs a lid which I don't have/want.

In regards to the clown gobies, I just saw this but do they have to have branching corals such as acros?? I don't have any of those or any branching corals. I don't have the light for a SPS corals so those are out of the question. If they don't need the branching corals then they look like great fish. Amazing color too.

The scooter blenny is definitely interesting and looks great. I'm a little worried about feeding it though.

I think adding an extra two fish will be the limit for this set up. I'm holding off before getting any more fish though. I'm still waiting to get my skimmer broken in so there is still a good bit of time. By then I should get paid again so that's always a bonus.

While the dartfish looks great, I'm worried about it jumping out. I was looking at the LiveAquaria page and it says that it needs a lid which I don't have/want.

In regards to the clown gobies, I just saw this but do they have to have branching corals such as acros?? I don't have any of those or any branching corals. I don't have the light for a SPS corals so those are out of the question. If they don't need the branching corals then they look like great fish. Amazing color too.

The scooter blenny is definitely interesting and looks great. I'm a little worried about feeding it though.

I think adding an extra two fish will be the limit for this set up. I'm holding off before getting any more fish though. I'm still waiting to get my skimmer broken in so there is still a good bit of time. By then I should get paid again so that's always a bonus.

I hate to break it to you but any fish will jump. There are countless stories on here about clowns jumping etc. There are no fish that aren't jumping risks. That's the risk you run by not using some sort of top.

I hate to break it to you but any fish will jump. There are countless stories on here about clowns jumping etc. There are no fish that aren't jumping risks. That's the risk you run by not using some sort of top.

Well I agree that any fish can jump but obviously some are more prone to jumping than others.

Hello again. About the clown goby, no, SPS are not necessary (stay away from panda gobies just now), but buying a little Pocillopora would make them feel at home. I think that your tank should house one all right. (One clown and one coral, to clarify.)

I'm actually worried about the lighting for the coral. I only have the Current Orbit Marine and from what I've gathered, SPS need more light than that and even the LPS need to be at the top of the tank.

So any of the following would be fine for my tank??

Canary Blenny

Black Combtooth Blenny

Forktail Blenny

Royal Gramma

Black Cap Basslet

Lemon Chromis (Only 1)

Bicolor Dottyback

Blue Eye Royal Dottyback

Purple Dottyback

Purplestripe Dottyback

Splended Dottyback

Yellow Dottyback

Yellow Clown Goby

[Edit]

Skipping the blennies. Just trying to narrow it down.

So I have it narrowed down to these. I'm leaning towards either a blue/green chromis and a scooter blenny or a pair of cardinalfish. Not sure which though.

Scooter blenny

Royal Gramma

Black Cap Basslet

Lemon Chromis (Only 1)

Yellow Clown Goby

Archived