ReefCleaners.org

White Poo Purple Firefish

fordsvtmfl

Hello all,

I have been following this forum for several months but just now joined after setting up my 10 gallon, (I will be posting a build thread later on).

Anyway, I currently only have 1 purple filefish in my tank, and he has been in there for about 5 days. He hides a lot but will come out when its time to eat or when no one is in the room. Today right before I fed him I noticed he had white poop. Its not the stringy kind that I have seen in some of my sick cichlids, but more solid. Should I be concerned? Are there any precautions I should take? He eats well and doesn't seem lethargic, just shy.

I feed him Omega One Marine Flakes.

Levels are PH 8.0, Am 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0. Salinity 1.0235, Temp 76.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

In the past week there have been several developments. The white poo has continued off and on, but a small bump appeared on his side, and over the next few days slowly moved down his body to his tail and then fell off. I couldn't find any definitive answers online or at my lfs.

Here are some pictures:

After several days I noticed his stomach was looking sunken in even though he is eating great. At that point I decided to dose the tank with prazipro. Since then (about 3 days ago), his poo is normal and he seems to be more active. His stomach is still a little sunken in, but looking much better. I have also started feeding him frozen brine and pellets.

I think you should set up a quarantine tank for the fish and treat it in there for parasites. A lot of products used to treat parasites have copper and other ingredients that will ruin the display tank for invertabrates.

Archived