Cultivated Reef

Nutrients in Water and Relationship with Clams, Elegance and Goni corals.

Snow_Phoenix

Quick question - does anyone here have a clean tank with perfect parameters (as in zero nitrates and zero phosphates) that has kept a clam, elegance coral or goniopora coral long-term successfully?

To my knowledge, research and googling (both on NR and offsite), these three animals require slightly 'dirty' water to thrive (not just 'survive').

At which point would you say a clam, elegance or goni is 'thriving' or 'surviving' in a nutrient-free system?

Is this possible, or is the douchebag on my local forum just a braggart with a pigheaded mindset? He claims that you need perfectly zero nitrates and phosphates to keep these three guys happy. I disagreed, because I have kept all three of these guys before and the elegance and goni quickly withered away when I began using a skimmer and phosphate remover to control my nutrient levels (this was in one of my setups 1.5 years ago). The clam on the other hand, survived, but only started opening up fully when I placed it in a higher nutrient system (different tank). I eventually gave it away when I was moving my livestock around.

As far as my experience serves, these guys need constant feeding and at least some amount of nitrates and a bit of phosphates to do well.

Would love it if someone could chime in here.

Even with SPS, undetectable nutrients are not considered perfect parameters. However, nutrient levels, which are too low, usually aren't a problem unless you are dosing organic carbon. The animals that you mentioned might benefit from even higher nutrient levels than what is ideal for a SPS dominant tank. Still, it's possible to have too much phosphate and/or nitrate (which can cause algae problems, poor coloration, as well as poor coral health).

Archived