Cultivated Reef

StellaBlue's da Vinci Cube - RETIRED

ReefWeeds

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just caught up on your thread - everything looks awesome! And you will love Gena's monti cap frags. My purple grape that I got from her grow like crazy :wub:

Those do look like vermetid snails a couple pages back. I know all about them from when my 4g tank got infested. They don't really hurt much when they are small and few, but in my tank they multiplied until I had hundreds of them. They still come back every few months, and I have to pull the rocks out and crush them with a pair of long nose pliers. You can also use superglue to cover them up but it's really hard to do underwater. And I figure if I'm going to pull the rock out to get them anyway, it's much easier just to crunch them up.

Don't make the mistake I made of just breaking off the tube. Unless you break open the base, they just grow right back.

Also, I've found that when I have trouble getting the glue to hold well for frags, I drain enough water so that the spot where I'm gluing the frag is above the water line. Then I dry off the base of the frag, put plenty of glue on it, and put it right on the wet rock. It seems to bond much more strongly when it's not underwater. Just hold it in place for about 30 seconds and you're good to go. And you've done a nice water change as a free bonus ;)

Those zoos are a nice color for sure. Maybe it's a good crab??

Here's to hoping! I've had my fill of bad crabs for sure! It's so tiny that I know for right now, it can't do much damage. But I'm definitely going to keep my eye on it! I've been contemplating putting that whole rock in the monster tank. It's the one piece of live rock that seeded the rest of my tank and it's got some cool hidden cup corals and a few bright orange tunicates on it as well as some spots of halimeda (sp?). I know all those things will be toast in the monster tank with the urchin and the crabs so I'm having trouble making that decision.

I just caught up on your thread - everything looks awesome! And you will love Gena's monti cap frags. My purple grape that I got from her grow like crazy :wub:

Those do look like vermetid snails a couple pages back. I know all about them from when my 4g tank got infested. They don't really hurt much when they are small and few, but in my tank they multiplied until I had hundreds of them. They still come back every few months, and I have to pull the rocks out and crush them with a pair of long nose pliers. You can also use superglue to cover them up but it's really hard to do underwater. And I figure if I'm going to pull the rock out to get them anyway, it's much easier just to crunch them up.

Don't make the mistake I made of just breaking off the tube. Unless you break open the base, they just grow right back.

Also, I've found that when I have trouble getting the glue to hold well for frags, I drain enough water so that the spot where I'm gluing the frag is above the water line. Then I dry off the base of the frag, put plenty of glue on it, and put it right on the wet rock. It seems to bond much more strongly when it's not underwater. Just hold it in place for about 30 seconds and you're good to go. And you've done a nice water change as a free bonus ;)

Very good advice on the vermetids! I did just break off the tubes and saw one growing back. Luckily they're just on corals now so I will unglue the corals and make sure I crush the snails. I noticed a few mucus strings last night.

Good advice on the frags too! I'm going to try that. The snails only seem to knock stuff off the top rocks so draining water is definitely a great option. They knocked off my sour apple birds nest and my small frag of spongodes last night. I'm not looking forward to putting my hands in the tank to glue them up. My female clown just goes after me something fierce. She pulled off a piece of skin on my knuckle last week! I was really nervous about what she would do to the cleaner gobies, but she's totally fine with them. Just doesn't like hands in her tank :) I've tried gloves, but using gloves makes me really clumsy when trying to glue stuff on and I end up knocking more off than I'm gluing on.

Did you see your tank featured on Dave's Nano Box Facebook page? SO AWESOME! That made my day yesterday.

Oh and of course the snails unglued my Idaho grape from Gena! Actually, it was a really nice sized frag and it snapped clean in half so now I've got two frags so I'm going to put them in different parts of the tank. I love that Idaho grape!

Franklin said he wanted top billing on this page, so here he is in all his goofy glory.

yDLK94R.jpg

I love these orange and blue and green zoas! I got them from saltcritters.com for $5. They seem to be growing well.

Oif0agX.jpg

Over the past week, I've been preparing for an open studio tour. I still have so many paintings to frame up and hang, but I'm getting there.

right side of foyer when you walk in:

POTCvYp.jpg

left side of foyer when you walk in:

x1whBB5.jpg

2mQA624.jpg

The disaster of a dining room which will eventually be part of the tour as well. All the paintings I still need to hang.

TUzmBid.jpg

HA! i just realized I've been using the dining room as a storage area since at least Christmas time since there is a christmas tablecloth on the table and some sort of tin in the middle of the table.

Oh and one more photo! I got these zoas from Live Aquaria when I got the fish from the Diver's Den. I LOVE the color. They really are that aqua. I have no idea what they are, LA said they were Tinkerbell Zoas. They look like palys to me.

aVor78H.jpg?1

I love the color! I think Morgan has the same ones in her 20L. Your house looks gorgeous too!

I love the color! I think Morgan has the same ones in her 20L. Your house looks gorgeous too!

Thanks! I didn't post the rooms that were total disasters lol! It's a 1920's Dutch colonial. I love that era of home. Although it is definitely drafty in the winter!

I will have to check out Morgan's! The photo on LA made it hard to tell the color so I was so happy when they got here.

Just ordered my NanoBox Retro from Dave! Yahoo! I can't wait!!!!!!

I like the Franklin takeover. With all those paintings who needs wallpaper.

Franklin likes being the center of attention. Why should here be any different??? :P

HA! True! With all the ones I have laying around, I'm pretty sure there won't be any wall showing anywhere in about a week :)

Yay for Nanobox!

And how did I miss your paintings? They are beautiful :)

Thanks Teeny! The framing and hanging is feeling a bit overwhelming at the moment. I didn't realize how many I hadn't framed so I'm actually thinking of just having a discount pile in the corner without frames. I'm running out of time and am going to be away in Florida for my "day job" next week. Here's to hoping Jeff doesn't forget we have fish tanks :)

So I'm officially really addicted! I'm going to turn my little 6.25 gal Petco Arc into a pico/nano. Not sure what constitutes a pico! I just ordered a used Maxspect Razor Nano. Oh and got two RFAs - a red and a white. Now I just need a name for my new thread! I need a good name for this one too.

Well, I finally kicked about 90% of the cyano. I still see it pop up in the same spot between a couple rocks, but if I blow it off it takes a couple days to come back. I've stepped up water changes to about 4 gallons 3x a week and that seemed to do it. I also realized I hadn't cleaned the intake sponge for a while and also realized I don't really need it in there so I removed it altogether. I also added another powerhead to increase flow on the side of the tank that the cyano was building in. So, between the water changes, more flow, getting the skimmer dialed in and keeping sand bed stirred, I haven't seen it for at least a week. Thank goodness. It was really only in one section, but I was nervous about it spreading.

I also noticed the few macros that came on the piece of live rock have ceased to grow completely. I hadn't been seeing a lot of growth, but now growth has totally stopped. Nitrates have been at about 5 all along, so my guess is the macros were trying to do their job and higher nitrates were to blame for the cyano.

I have something weird (well, I think it is weird) going on with one of my acans. It is all happy and puffy during daylights then about 2 hours after when it extends its feeders, some white weird stuff shows in its mouth and in other spots. Any ideas? Here are the photos:

Happy happy:

o1ny9lS.jpg

Weird white stuff:

d1Elr66.jpg

And I forgot to post this the other day! I did another reef painting. Thank you Sk8n Reefer for the photo inspiration! Here's "Benny the Blenny", acrylic on MDF 4"x4". TSBs are so freaking cute.

yjJJvcu.jpg

It is so weird for me to paint reef scenes. The colors are all so out of this world that I feel like I'm painting cartoons :) It's fun.

thecoralbeauty

oh and of course I found another hitchhiker crab. Tiny white crab. You can see it in the hole in the rock here.

ehwEP7O.jpg?1

Oh and one more photo! I got these zoas from Live Aquaria when I got the fish from the Diver's Den. I LOVE the color. They really are that aqua. I have no idea what they are, LA said they were Tinkerbell Zoas. They look like palys to me.

aVor78H.jpg?1

these look exactly like my palys!

Love the painting! :wub:

I don't know what the weird white stuff is. Someone more experienced than me will have to comment :(

Thanks Teeny!! I still am trying to figure out the balance when painting reef scenes. It's fun - much less "serious" than my usual work. It's enjoyable for sure.

The white stuff is so weird.

jedimasterben

aVor78H.jpg?1

They are Palythoa mutuki or grandiflora, depending on whether they're from the Indo-Pacific or Caribbean. Be very careful with touching them or cutting them - they typically contain significant palytoxin. Just wear gloves around them and you'll be good though :)

thecoralbeauty

They are Palythoa mutuki or grandiflora, depending on whether they're from the Indo-Pacific or Caribbean. Be very careful with touching them or cutting them - they typically contain significant palytoxin. Just wear gloves around them and you'll be good though :)

good to know- i have TONS of them. Actually several have broken away from the colony and are rolling around my sand bed. Had no idea they could be toxic little buggers. I was considering pulling some off and giving them away- so if i decide to do that, now i'll know to use caution!

Thanks Ben!!!!

guess what came in the mail today??? MY LIGHTS!!! :haha:

Guess where I am not? Home :( Has to wait until I get back. I am going to have a hard time not wanting to set them up when I get in at like midnight tomorrow!

Archived