Cultivated Reef

Starting 10g reef

thebom321

I just bought a 10 gallon tank and it is going to be a reef tank. I ordered some equipment on amazon like a nano hydro Koralia 240, aqueon pro 50, and a Wave-Point 12 inch 60 watt LED. I am new to the hobby but I have being doing a lot of research for the past year or so, and I think I am ready start a tank.

My Biggest concern is my lighting, it was a good price, and I read some good reviews. But I am still skeptical. I just wanted to know if they are good enough to grow softies and some easy LPS.

(the tank is a standard 10g btw.)

Cencalfishguy56

Softies I think you could get away with, I've checked this light out also and lps im not sure but judging by the wattage you may get away with it, I guess you never know until you try lol when I first started mine I went with a $45 t5 unit from aqua traders.com, many people have complaints personally I never had a problem I just always wanted a Kessil so I upgraded but if you are on a budget and want something guaranteed to grow anything then t5 is the way to go

Thanks Cenicalfishguy56! You are right the only way to find out is to try. I did think about t5. What bulbs are you running? I went with that LED because it is very blue and bright corals really POP. I also went LED because I didn't want to worry about bulb replacement and heat.

If I was you,I would've looked into getting a RW-4 as a pump. It's similair to a MP10,but 3-4 times cheaper. As for the light,I'd really look into a Par38 from RapidLED and save yourself some hassle. But if you've already got the light,I wouldn't worry about it. T5's would be a plus too. I'm running a 24" 4 bulb fixture at the moment and I'm using 2 ATI B+,1 ATI C+ and 1 ATI Actinic and love the color. Everything pops with color without bluing out the tank.

I have a standard 10 gallon tank and went with the green element reef evo.I has been growing zoas, hammer tips, Hollywood stunner, and even a sunset Montie. You don't have a lot of the features, but if you are looking for a cheap light I would recommend it.

OMG! I just got my wave-point LED. I installed it on my 10 gallon. I had finished and went to the other room, when all of a sudden I hear BOOM!... There was a huge crack on the back side of my tank, it had no water in so that is a plus but now I have to go pick up another tank :( they are only like $15 so what ever.

Sorry to hear about the crack in your tank. Personally, I would return the light to Amazon, and ask for a full refund. They will also cover return shipping. As far as lighting, I highly recommend getting the 20" T5 Quad from AquaTraders. The bulbs are not a good quality but the fixture itself is worth the price. But even the bulbs that come with the light will be good enough to get you started. If you are trying to stick within a certain budget, I would suggest replacing the bulbs (one or two at a time) with UVL bulbs. AquaCave has 18" UVL bulbs for a little over $19.00 a piece. These bulbs with the Odyssea T5 light fixture from AquaTraders will be more than enough for your 10 gallon tank.

Other suggestions: You won't need to invest in a refrugium for a 10 gallon nano, but you will at the very least want a high quality hang on back filter. I suggest the Aquaclear 50. Also, I would use Chemi-Pure Blue (5.5 oz) instead of the carbon insert that will come with the Aquaclear filter. I would also recommend a HOB Protein Skimmer with a UV sterilizer. I also recommend getting your live rock from a dependable LFS that you know has a good reputation. For sand, I prefer Live Aragonite. Reef Crystals is by far the best salt.

I'm sure you know that you will need a good hydrometer. Be sure to get a good quality digital thermometer and I would also suggest adding a bottle of Tigger Pods when you first set up your tank.

You're going to be scraping algae off the glass, so stock up on razor blades. I've been happy with the Nano Mag for keeping the glass clean. You will also need a turkey baster (for more uses than you would ever imagine). Also, be prepared to deal with pest anenomes (mojano and aiptasia). I've been able to get rid of these pests by injecting them with lemon juice and/or white vinegar - so having a diabetic syringe with a needle on hand would be a good idea too. I've never met anyone who hasn't

If you plan to add fish, I highly suggest Omega or LifeSpectrum with Garlic. Garlic has a natural antibacterial property that is good for the health of your fish and kills parasites, etc.

You will also want a hood - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AS7ZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, never ever use any type of water other than RO/DI. I buy mine from my LFS.

Cencalfishguy56

I have a standard 10 gallon tank and went with the green element reef evo.I has been growing zoas, hammer tips, Hollywood stunner, and even a sunset Montie. You don't have a lot of the features, but if you are looking for a cheap light I would recommend it.

Wow I was looking at the reef Evo but was skeptical to be honest

Sorry to hear about the crack in your tank. Personally, I would return the light to Amazon, and ask for a full refund. They will also cover return shipping. As far as lighting, I highly recommend getting the 20" T5 Quad from AquaTraders. The bulbs are not a good quality but the fixture itself is worth the price. But even the bulbs that come with the light will be good enough to get you started. If you are trying to stick within a certain budget, I would suggest replacing the bulbs (one or two at a time) with UVL bulbs. AquaCave has 18" UVL bulbs for a little over $19.00 a piece. These bulbs with the Odyssea T5 light fixture from AquaTraders will be more than enough for your 10 gallon tank.

Other suggestions: You won't need to invest in a refrugium for a 10 gallon nano, but you will at the very least want a high quality hang on back filter. I suggest the Aquaclear 50. Also, I would use Chemi-Pure Blue (5.5 oz) instead of the carbon insert that will come with the Aquaclear filter. I would also recommend a HOB Protein Skimmer with a UV sterilizer. I also recommend getting your live rock from a dependable LFS that you know has a good reputation. For sand, I prefer Live Aragonite. Reef Crystals is by far the best salt.

I'm sure you know that you will need a good hydrometer. Be sure to get a good quality digital thermometer and I would also suggest adding a bottle of Tigger Pods when you first set up your tank.

You're going to be scraping algae off the glass, so stock up on razor blades. I've been happy with the Nano Mag for keeping the glass clean. You will also need a turkey baster (for more uses than you would ever imagine). Also, be prepared to deal with pest anenomes (mojano and aiptasia). I've been able to get rid of these pests by injecting them with lemon juice and/or white vinegar - so having a diabetic syringe with a needle on hand would be a good idea too. I've never met anyone who hasn't

If you plan to add fish, I highly suggest Omega or LifeSpectrum with Garlic. Garlic has a natural antibacterial property that is good for the health of your fish and kills parasites, etc.

You will also want a hood - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002AS7ZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, never ever use any type of water other than RO/DI. I buy mine from my LFS.

Thanks for the tips. I do plan on returning the light for something better. Also are the hydor koralia, plus the filter good enough for flow?

Archived