Cultivated Reef

Does anyone have BRS reef saver rock?

Hydroxin

C00kieduster

I cured 60lbs of BRS Fiji rock in a Rubbermaid. Washed with water hose. Put in tub with saltwater heater and power heads. Ammonia occurred naturally, added some BIOSPIRA for giggles. Within 1 week ammonia and nitrites were undetectable. Relatively low phosphates so I dosed LC twice. Never saw it again. Process lasted 1 month exactly

Did 2 50% water changes through all of that. Before I put into new tank, I have all the rocks a good swish around in a tub of nice clean SW. I got my tank set up, run for a week or so, testing daily, 0s across the board. Added first livestock. Been going great ever since. I honestly was expecting it to take much much longer I was a little nervous about dry rock. I had never used it before.

I didn't see any point to make it last longer artificially just because a lot of people say it takes months.

From the time I had dry rock on my door step, to first fish in tank was 6 weeks. Never even had the typical diatom bloom I'm used to.

I'm not saying yours will go just like this, not at all. It's just possible.

I cured 60lbs of BRS Fiji rock in a Rubbermaid. Washed with water hose. Put in tub with saltwater heater and power heads. Ammonia occurred naturally, added some BIOSPIRA for giggles. Within 1 week ammonia and nitrites were undetectable. Relatively low phosphates so I dosed LC twice. Never saw it again. Process lasted 1 month exactly

Did 2 50% water changes through all of that. Before I put into new tank, I have all the rocks a good swish around in a tub of nice clean SW. I got my tank set up, run for a week or so, testing daily, 0s across the board. Added first livestock. Been going great ever since. I honestly was expecting it to take much much longer I was a little nervous about dry rock. I had never used it before.

I didn't see any point to make it last longer artificially just because a lot of people say it takes months.

From the time I had dry rock on my door step, to first fish in tank was 6 weeks. Never even had the typical diatom bloom I'm used to.

That's great. My order of Zeobac (bacteria) just arrived, so I'll throw some of that into the rubbermaid like you did with the Biospira which will hopefully speed the cycling along a bit.

The dry fiji rock has less dead matter on it than the Pukani. BRS reef saver was practically sterile. Just gave that a quick rinse and threw it in the display. Just inspect the rock, if it has a lot of crap on it, remove as much as you can by whatever means work best for you. The pukani is also very porous. I chose to soak mine, because I could see things in the rock that I just couldn't physically remove. If you do nothing with the pukani you will almost certainly be battling algae issues in the future.

• 4 weeks later...

My tank looks amazing! I've added quite a bit of coral, a clean up crew, and 2 more fish and a pistol shrimp. I have no complaints about the way I cycled my tank, and I wouldn't change how I did it a bit. I do still really like the BRS Reef Saver dry rock. It doesn't have all the crap in it that the Pukani does. Good luck with your set up friend.

I rebuilt my tank a month ago, and I used BRS Reef Saver rock and some arag-alive sand. The rock is super clean, and you only need to rinse it. I wouldn't worry too much about using RO water, but you can. I have pretty pure well water, and I used that. Here's a picture that I just took with my phone:

20150416_184003.jpg

By the way, I added Dr. Tim's and then added my clowns a day later. The ammonia never went over .25 ppm, and I never saw nitrites or even nitrates. Now everything is at zero and I haven't even gotten much of anything on the glass. Doing anything other than rinsing this stuff is a waste of time.

printerdown01

Sometimes it isn't about what comes in the rock. Without a biofilm on the rock algae attaches REALLY easily. Simply running the rock in a system without light where it can develop bacteria will do you a lot of good. I also run BRS ReefSaver rock and have been EXTREMELY impressed. The porosity and ability to stack the rocks up on each other has been AMAZING. I have honestly never had rock so easy to reef scape with and I was trying to pull off a pretty complex scape!

Archived