Cultivated Reef

Does anyone have BRS reef saver rock?

Hydroxin

I just ordered 35lbs of this and was wondering how you cured your rock.

Some people use acid, some throw it in the tank for a month with no light, some people leave it outside in buckets of saltwater for a month .

I was looking for the quickest most effective way to use this rock without any problems.

Unsure, But if its anything like Caribsea's dry rock ,I rinsed well in RO water a few times and through it in. I ordered some from BRS for my current build.....

Did you have any trouble with algae throwing it right in the tank?

I had EXTENSIVE trouble with algae by throwing this rock in my tank. I had a two year old system that needed more rock after I upgraded the water volume and use this rock. I added it directly into the tank after a quick RODI rinse and within the month only the BRS reef saver rock was covered in algae. Its my opinion from my testing that this rock leached phosphates out of the rock which grew the GHA I never had before. I had this problem for about six or eight months now. In my opinion, cycle/clean the rock properly before adding it.

I set up my tank about 2.5 months ago with BRS Reef Saver Dry Rock and Agralive Fiji Pink live sand. I rinsed the dry rock with RO water and started aquascaping. The rock locks together great. I then put in my sand, and filled the tank with sea water from Scripps Aquarium here in San Diego and a bottle of Biro Spira from BRS. I ran my tank with the lights off and only filter floss for about a month. I did a water change and added my Chemi Pure and Phosban. I ran it for about another week, did a water change and added 2 clowns. I had minimal algae which was blown off the rock with a turkey baster. It has since cleared up. I have only added a torch coral to the tank now, but it is doing amazing. I change out my filter floss about every 3-4 days and do weekly water changes. My tank is doing great!

I had EXTENSIVE trouble with algae by throwing this rock in my tank. I had a two year old system that needed more rock after I upgraded the water volume and use this rock. I added it directly into the tank after a quick RODI rinse and within the month only the BRS reef saver rock was covered in algae. Its my opinion from my testing that this rock leached phosphates out of the rock which grew the GHA I never had before. I had this problem for about six or eight months now. In my opinion, cycle/clean the rock properly before adding it.

Better safe than sorry... Maybe stick it in a rubbermade bin with a pump test phosphate on day 1 then test it again in a week? Seabass has a good write up on how he did this.

I got BRS pukani which is awesome rock but covered in dead stuff - so mine's been sitting in my tank for about 7-8 weeks so far curing. Most of the gunk is off, but there's still a little bit. I need a phosphate test :P

I just gave it a quick rinse to get loose material off before putting in the tank. No algae problems. It seems pretty sterile to me compared to the other dry rock I got from BRS, pukani, Fiji shelf, and tonga branch. I rinsed those in RODI and vinegar for several days. then tried to remove as much gunk as possible. So far so good. About 5 months in.

Are you guys adding to an existing tank or a new tank? I am about to start a new tank this week using mostly BRS reef saver. My plan was to add the sand, rock, salt water and let it sit for 6-8 weeks. Will that be good or should I be dipping in vinegar, etc to speed up the process. I am not in a hurry to cycle this tank as it is my 2nd tank in only 6 months so still plenty busy with the first tank.

Are you guys adding to an existing tank or a new tank? I am about to start a new tank this week using mostly BRS reef saver. My plan was to add the sand, rock, salt water and let it sit for 6-8 weeks. Will that be good or should I be dipping in vinegar, etc to speed up the process. I am not in a hurry to cycle this tank as it is my 2nd tank in only 6 months so still plenty busy with the first tank.

The vinegar would only be to break down organic left on the rock, and wont directly affect the cycle. The reef saver is pretty clean/ free of dead material IME (it is mined and not take from the ocean). Examine and Just rinse with distilled or RODI and put it into the tank. You may want to add a piece from your existing tank to speed up the cycle. I started my last tank with all dry rock and had a very long cycle. 8 weeks should be long enough though either way. I assume you are using live sand?

The vinegar would only be to break down organic left on the rock, and wont directly affect the cycle. The reef saver is pretty clean/ free of dead material IME (it is mined and not take from the ocean). Examine and Just rinse with distilled or RODI and put it into the tank. You may want to add a piece from your existing tank to speed up the cycle. I started my last tank with all dry rock and had a very long cycle. 8 weeks should be long enough though either way. I assume you are using live sand?

Yes, 10 lbs of CaribSea Bimini Pink Live Sand (20 gallon total system with 10 gallon DT, 3 gallon FT and 7 gallon Sump). I am using a few pounds of BRS Fiji and the rest BRS Reef Saver dry rock. I do not have any additives to help speed up the cycle.

I have about 40 lbs of live rock in my Fusion 40 and I could use some of that to cycle the new tank - would that help a lot if I added a fe pounds?

While I am in no rush of course we all know how hard it is to wait!

Yes, 10 lbs of CaribSea Bimini Pink Live Sand (20 gallon total system with 10 gallon DT, 3 gallon FT and 7 gallon Sump). I am using a few pounds of BRS Fiji and the rest BRS Reef Saver dry rock. I do not have any additives to help speed up the cycle.

I have about 40 lbs of live rock in my Fusion 40 and I could use some of that to cycle the new tank - would that help a lot if I added a fe pounds?

While I am in no rush of course we all know how hard it is to wait!

Have you tested your water? Chances are having used the CaribSea sand, your cycle is done. And yeah, LR from your established tank would help if not :)

I am only adding water tonight :).

Adding salt to the RODI when I get home from work today and then getting started! Maybe I will toss in some LR from my older tank to help speed it up.

Thanks for the help!

• 3 weeks later...

I set up my tank about 2.5 months ago with BRS Reef Saver Dry Rock and Agralive Fiji Pink live sand. I rinsed the dry rock with RO water and started aquascaping. The rock locks together great. I then put in my sand, and filled the tank with sea water from Scripps Aquarium here in San Diego and a bottle of Biro Spira from BRS. I ran my tank with the lights off and only filter floss for about a month. I did a water change and added my Chemi Pure and Phosban. I ran it for about another week, did a water change and added 2 clowns. I had minimal algae which was blown off the rock with a turkey baster. It has since cleared up. I have only added a torch coral to the tank now, but it is doing amazing. I change out my filter floss about every 3-4 days and do weekly water changes. My tank is doing great!

I just ordered some pukani rock from BRS. I'm trying to figure out whether it needs to be cured or not. I seem to be getting some conflicting information...

PUKANI does need to be cured...

If I'm setting up a new system in my Biocube 29, can I simply cure the rock inside my display tank? Once phosphate levels are eliminated, I could do a 100% water change and begin cycling the tank. Some on the threads have mentioned acid baths and LC dosing. Any recommendations with any of that?

• 2 weeks later...

i just soaked mine in Rodi water for a day or two and threw it in and added some ammonia to start the cycle, so far so good!

For my old 2 tanks: I rinsed it with tap water, scaped the tank, and then cycled it with pure ammonia (no additives) and everything turned out fine while the tanks were up, about 2 years.

If I'm setting up a new system in my Biocube 29, can I simply cure the rock inside my display tank? Once phosphate levels are eliminated, I could do a 100% water change and begin cycling the tank. Some on the threads have mentioned acid baths and LC dosing. Any recommendations with any of that?

I would at least remove all of the dead material and soak in vinegar/rodi. The Pukani stuff is really porous and it may take a while (i.e. months) to get all of the phosphate out. Just my .02

I would at least remove all of the dead material and soak in vinegar/rodi. The Pukani stuff is really porous and it may take a while (i.e. months) to get all of the phosphate out. Just my .02

That is the the way I did my Pukani it took almost 3 months but it was worth it.

I have used the reef rubble and no different than any other dry rock in cycle. But guess it could be hit or miss depending on a lot of variables.

Archived