SaltCritters.com

12 Gallon Long - "Suspension" - decommissioned.

Halo_003

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice start! I'm building a mr aqua (17.1) myself and I also ordered from marine depot and the packing was freaking exceptional probably would do more damage to a Mac truck if it hit it

Thanks! This is really my dream size tank too. I was going to get a Fusion 30L but I didn't because I needed something small while I finish college. This is close enough to 10 gallons that it should be fine I think. DC return pump is out for delivery right now!!

Which of course means, knowing UPS, it will get here around 7pm lol. In the mean time, I've been adding more epoxy to add strength, added a couple more small pieces making it about 2-3" longer and replaced the support feet with some better ones. Once it's hardened again I'll be cutting/sanding to get it flat on the bottom.

Had to come up with a rather unorthodox way to get this structure stable. I drilled a 1/2" rod through the bottom.

IMG_0446_zps8ciilsxk.jpg

This is after cutting with a hacksaw (before the rod was added), and then sanding with a 100 grit orbit sander for about 20 minutes.

IMG_0447_zpsqkfstdfz.jpg

In the tank, perfectly stable. I had to use a lot of epoxy to get it solid enough that I was happy.

IMG_0455_zpshac6ynlr.jpg

IMG_0444_zpsyfrlytce.jpg

All just waiting on a few last pieces:

IMG_0468_zpsfucmkgav.jpg

That is the Aquamedic DC pump that arrived, I tested it on a bucket and it was sweet to have controllable speed. This is going to be extremely useful.

I have the Hydor 200W Inline heater coming this week, should arrive Wednesday. Hoping to start filling by Friday if all goes well. My dad is back in town on Wednesday as well so we should be getting doors attached too. A PicO Lifenet top is in the works with Chris, very excited to see his craftsmanship.

Things left to buy:

20lb Fiji Pink bag

PicO Skimmer 2.0

PicO Lifenet

Upgraded T5 ballasts

Maxcap RO/DI 90GPD - shooting for May range here potentially.

MP10QD - mid summer perhaps.

Nanobox retro - Unsure, but in the pipeline for sure.

Currently watching John Ciotti's presentation. Open to ideas on coral stocking, I would like to be largely SPS dominant with maybe that smaller left rock covered in Z/P's.

Well done!

Thanks! With any luck I'll be filling it on Friday, the last couple pieces should arrive this week.

Chris is working on a design for the lifenet, when he shoots me back a render or sketch I'll update here. :)

Thanks! This is really my dream size tank too. I was going to get a Fusion 30L but I didn't because I needed something small while I finish college. This is close enough to 10 gallons that it should be fine I think. DC return pump is out for delivery right now!!

Which of course means, knowing UPS, it will get here around 7pm lol. In the mean time, I've been adding more epoxy to add strength, added a couple more small pieces making it about 2-3" longer and replaced the support feet with some better ones. Once it's hardened again I'll be cutting/sanding to get it flat on the bottom.

you're doing all this while finishing college?

SO impressed! love the scape you're creating too.

you're doing all this while finishing college?

SO impressed! love the scape you're creating too.

Thanks again. :)

Yes I'm finishing, in May I graduate with my AA and will likely transfer to UF and live in an apartment off campus. I'm doing a Business Management major and a Nuclear Engineerinng minor, would like to go into nuclear power industry. But I like my tank and I'll be doing my best to take it all the way through college with me. :)

WOOP WOOP.

Stopped in at coral logic today to get a 20lb bag of Fiji pink. As I was checking out it struck me and I asked if they could order me some flaming prawn gobies. The girl was surprised but said they had 2!! I was amazed they had them at all or had even heard of them. Even better they were $35 each! Freaking awesome. I paid for them and am having the store hold them for me until I get my QT set up again. They were so tiny and adorable.

I told them if they get any more to give me a call, I migt want to do a group. Super exciting, with how rare they are I was stunned they had hem.

Today's update:

Got the closed loop all plumbed, might revisit some of it. Filled the tank, threw in an AC30 which cleared it up within an hour. Still can't believe I actually found a pair of FPG, let alone for $70 for both. :D

3025DC8C-170B-427B-8D1A-4F4F0D51F7B7_zps

879520E9-F37A-4AE8-AF20-7D67D5C066FD_zps

1A003BD9-5636-4B90-9ED7-4260177A33E8_zps

Still need to fill a little bit more. But things are moving along nicely now. Water is about 2" below the top of the glass I'd guess, I plan on having it around 3/4" to 1/2" below the edge.

In other news, there is the possibility of a DSLR coming this summer, hoping to be able to pick up a Canon T6i and a couple lenses. Shopping list there would be something like

Canon T6i + 18-55mm STM Lens (std lens)

Canon EF 35mm f/2 Wide Angle lens

Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro

I asked if they could order me some flaming prawn gobies. The girl was surprised but said they had 2!! I was amazed they had them at all or had even heard of them. Even better they were $35 each! Freaking awesome.

Wow thats a steal. They are over $100 a piece everywhere else.

The tank is shaping up nicely. Its still not too late to drill through the glass....

Wow thats a steal. They are over $100 a piece everywhere else.

The tank is shaping up nicely. Its still not too late to drill through the glass....

Like I said I was in disbelief lol.

Thanks, I could have drilled but I'm committed now.

Daily update: fixed a leveling issue today, had to drain the water to do so. Now mixing SW in a tub beside the stand. Today I'll be RODI testing the loop below with a spare pump, if all goes well then I'll connect it to the tank tomorrow after an overnight leak test.

I have plenty of live rock so I'll stick a few pieces in to jumpstart this tank and hopefully cut my curing/cycling/establishment time down a good bit.

Great looking build man, will be following to see the progress. Good luck with when you have to move it!

Thanks! Hopefully the loop works as well as your idea. I wanted to try something new and that would be simple. The only issue I may have is the Biopellets being in the same loop as the carbon/GFO. I'm not sure how well it will work. If all else fails I'll pick up some more pipes and do a fully blown closed loop with a bigger pump like you did and just split up the flow, but I wanted to see how it would do as a single loop first. The thought is when I move it should be rather simple, just move rocks to a bucket, drain tank and loop and go. That was part of the reason for not drilling it actually, with Lily Pipes I can just pop them off and not need to worry about any possible strain on the glass caused by the tank shifting on a bulkhead during the drive, etc.

Made a slight oops when I built the rockscape. I didn't account for vertical headroom. Seeing as I would like to be SPS dominant that's a slight issue lol.

Here's how it was:

B9C52DCC-10A0-4872-875A-F29D9B5F5AC5_zps

Fixed by redrilling the hole for the rod in the middle of this rock:

C2C78402-01AA-45A4-B4CA-B2A5E2B33811_zps

New elevation:

5A6F37D1-D1BC-42C9-BE55-208C7D028B42_zps

A4D0B84B-17A8-4829-B57C-C6D21AA44D4C_zps

This is where all my pets are right now while the new tank is being put together.

D7915735-0794-4EA1-90EA-B93A651D10B5_zps

Finally, I thought this was cool. After a 7 mile run earlier this week I snapped a quick sunset photo.

26E697DC-7339-428C-95CC-A7548D9E7874_zps

Made a slight oops when I built the rockscape. I didn't account for vertical headroom. Seeing as I would like to be SPS dominant that's a slight issue lol.

Finally, I thought this was cool. After a 7 mile run earlier this week I snapped a quick sunset photo.

Awe snap. Well at least you realized the height of the scape issue before you started stocking. It was a reallyneat structure you had built though!

I like your sunset picture, and I'm jelly. I haven't run in over 4 months as I've been mending an anterior tibial stress fracture. But, I'm on a walking plan right now and start light short running in a few weeks. Just in time for the weather here to be decent!

Thanks! This is really my dream size tank too. I was going to get a Fusion 30L but I didn't because I needed something small while I finish college.

Damn now you're making me second guess my 30L xD I finished my first college program in June, I studied music business management.. but it just taught me how messed up the industry actually is. Now I'm going to school for HVAC in September and starting the tank this month hopefully it works out okay..

Following your build!

Awe snap. Well at least you realized the height of the scape issue before you started stocking. It was a reallyneat structure you had built though!

I like your sunset picture, and I'm jelly. I haven't run in over 4 months as I've been mending an anterior tibial stress fracture. But, I'm on a walking plan right now and start light short running in a few weeks. Just in time for the weather here to be decent!

Hopefully it's still cool, there is still a solid 2-3" below the rocks, just not the 4-5" it was before. Call it a geological event. lol. Hope your winter is short so you can get out running. I hate running honestly but I do it to stay in shape. One of the many benefits of Florida is that I can run year round (sadly). D:

Damn now you're making me second guess my 30L xD I finished my first college program in June, I studied music business management.. but it just taught me how messed up the industry actually is. Now I'm going to school for HVAC in September and starting the tank this month hopefully it works out okay..

Following your build!

Dang that sucks the music plan didn't work out. Like I said above I want to be in nuclear power, and I really think music management would be a lot more stressful than my plan lol. Not only that but I imagine you would have gotten to work with some strange types in that field, so maybe HVAC isn't a bad thing. Not sure if you have considered, but if you work for an HVAC company for a year or two, then use that experience with your business management degree you really could start a small company doing HVAC. It might be Music Business Management but Cost, Profit and Revenue are the same across all fields. My plan is to do the same in the power industry, I would like to work for a large company, think Duke Power or FPL, etc, and then leave with the experience and start my own. :)

Regarding the tank at school... I would just do everything you can to simplify. Get an Apex, a solid ATO, a doser, etc, and make it easy lol.

Today's update:

Decided to replumb the loop, and get it all hooked up and running.

3B5836C8-CA32-4C22-9969-DC7D99156C48_zps

The AC30 on the back has now been removed. It was just there to run floss to prevent sand particles getting in my loop. The 75W Eheim heater in the tank will probably be removed tomorrow when I get all the wiring done and ready to go.

Still left to do:

• Finish plans with Chris and get my top rolling
  • Get DJ power strip mounted in cabinet
  • Get doors mounted on cabinet and touch up some paint spots
  • Pick up Flaming Prawn Gobies and get them in my QT
  • Get livestock and vital equipment moved over (once rocks are all ready in the new tank)

Still left to buy (In order):

1. Lifenet Top & PicO Skimmer from PicO Aquariums :)
  2. LED lights for inside the cabinet
  3. Spectrapure Maxcap 90GPD RO/DI
  4. Vortech MP10QD
  5. Apex Jr. (?)

On a last night, I have a massive urge to get a small seahorse, but I know it's a bad idea. The desire is still there though.

Dang that sucks the music plan didn't work out. Like I said above I want to be in nuclear power, and I really think music management would be a lot more stressful than my plan lol. Not only that but I imagine you would have gotten to work with some strange types in that field, so maybe HVAC isn't a bad thing. Not sure if you have considered, but if you work for an HVAC company for a year or two, then use that experience with your business management degree you really could start a small company doing HVAC. It might be Music Business Management but Cost, Profit and Revenue are the same across all fields. My plan is to do the same in the power industry, I would like to work for a large company, think Duke Power or FPL, etc, and then leave with the experience and start my own. :)

Regarding the tank at school... I would just do everything you can to simplify. Get an Apex, a solid ATO, a doser, etc, and make it easy lol.

Ive done a few cool things! I just got a track in the new Fast and the Furious 7 movie, Im really excited for that! For the most part.. yeah the industry is filled with odd balls, it was unique but still something about it makes me restrain from it lol. My other profession in acrobatics is no different.. FILLED with danger but the people I've met through Cirque have been AMAZING! Its so unique to meet people from around the world.. Something about me tells me to stick to entertainment as I'm not ready to settle into the trades yet.. We shall see! Yeah man nuclear power sounds wicked! Best of luck to both of us in our education and reefing ! :lol:

SpencerShepard

I know you don't want to hear this....but you just HAVE to change the 'scape back. That was so cool and unique. Just do zoas, rics, etc on top of the rock.

I know you don't want to hear this....but you just HAVE to change the 'scape back. That was so cool and unique. Just do zoas, rics, etc on top of the rock.

Doesn't feel the same with it changed, I think it was much more dramatic the first time. If I decide to change it back it's just a matter of breaking the epoxy and sticking the rod from the arm into the other hole on the base, I left it open so that I could switch it if I wanted. It is tempted, I might, haven't decided if I'm 100% happy with it or not. If I raise the water level super high I think it would be more doable.

Edit: I'll change it back if you give me a controller. ;)

Archived