ReefCleaners.org

Two 8 hour photo periods

farkwar

I read somewhere that plants and algae can only photo synthesize for 8 hours at a time.

One, is this true?

Two, anyone try running either two 8 hour photo periods split by two 4 hour dark periods. Or even 8 on 8 off continuous cycle?

I read somewhere that plants and algae can only photo synthesize for 8 hours at a time.

One, is this true?

Two, anyone try running either two 8 hour photo periods split by two 4 hour dark periods. Or even 8 on 8 off continuous cycle?

Not true. Give a plant 8 hours of light and another 24, which will grow bigger/faster? Ever see an Alaskan garden in the summer? Giant plants. All that extra light they get up there.I think people get confused by the fact that photosynthesis is a 2 stage process. One is a light-dependent process and the other light independent. It's not like those processes are mutually exclusive, they happen simultaneously.

Yes. Others have used those light cycle periods. You can too!

• 3 weeks later...

I accidentally setup my ATI fixture's digital timer incorrectly. It was suppose to run from 12pm-11pm but instead. I accidentally put it as 12pm-11am. It was during President's day weekend which was a 4 day vacation for me. Surprisingly, none of the corals died. I did see notice that some of the corals seemed to have encrusted more since. I should have taken pics. It would have given me a sure answer. Oh, and algae did take over which was the downside due to all my feeding. So there may be positive results from your experiment.

• 2 weeks later...

When I grew "herbs" back in the day,I did 4 on 4 off from germination to about 2" tall,then switched to 8 on 8 off then 12 on 12 off,and lemme tell you,growth (vertically) wasn't there,but bushiness and my yield was INSANE :D.

Mustang Boy

I remember reading a couple articles a couple years ago about people who were running at 6 on 6 off schedule and were reporting awesome growth from their corals.

Back to the original question at hand,I screwed up and left my light on for 4 days while I was away,so I'm going to try and get some colors back by doing 2 on 2 off 3x thru out the day for the next week while I'm gone again and see how things do.

Archived