Innovative Marine Aquariums

water changes?

longfin2

So, I have a 12gallon cube that I attached an overflow to with a 10 gallon sump. Between all of the rocks and sand I would guess there is a total water volume of 12 gallons in the system. My sunset monti, my hammer and my chalice and nuclear green palys grow fine. However, my mushrooms, gsp, yellow polyps, xenia, and zoas never grow and often receed.

I do a 2.5 gallon water change once a week. Water for make up and changes comes from a 6 stage ro/di with brand new everything. Someone told me my tank is too clean......lol. Should I cut my WC's to every 2 weeks, feed more, etc. I will post params tomorrow but I run an aquatic life min skimmer, carbon, and a fuge with a 4" dsb, live rock, chaeto and gracilaria. I dose nothing but a tiny-tiny bit of purple up once a week which seems to keep my calc around 420. Water temp is 79 degrees and fuge is on reverse cycle. PLENTY of current as well. Lighting is par38 LEDs, 1 full spectrum and 2 actinic, royal, violet mixes. Any ideas??????????? Thanks ahead of time.

I couldn't keep xenia in my 12 gallon fluval edge. I have some that's doing fine in my new 75g system.

Lighting might be an issue or excessive flow.

I have heard of the clean water issue before, you could also be missing trace elements needed by these corals. What salt mix are you using? Your mag might be low or high or something less obvious and harder to measure like strontium could be out.

I couldn't keep xenia in my 12 gallon fluval edge. I have some that's doing fine in my new 75g system.

Lighting might be an issue or excessive flow.

I have heard of the clean water issue before, you could also be missing trace elements needed by these corals. What salt mix are you using? Your mag might be low or high or something less obvious and harder to measure like strontium could be out

thanks, i do add mag n try to keep it around 1200 for algae control. I cant really find a place with low flow that still has adequate light. Shouldnt iodine and all the other trace essentials be rplaced in my weekly water change? I use instant ocean reef crystals and always have??????????????

Read up what levels the salt provide.

Some salts are better than others.

Also if you have something consuming a particular element at high volumes water changes will never keep up. But that is only a guess, just worth looking into.

I never worked out why xenia didn't like my edge, like I said the frag I have now seems fine in my new larger system. Might be as simple as ph swing or salinity swings brought on by the small water volume.

Cencalfishguy56

That's funny, my Lps have not done so well in my standard 10G I think my water chemistry was horrible at the time but still my Xenia and gsp did perfectly fine, I think your hammer and chalice could be using up most of your essential elements so much so that your other soft corals can't keep up but then again you said you stay up on mag and calcium so I'm not sure, there are so many factors it's hard to know where to begin

That's funny, my Lps have not done so well in my standard 10G I think my water chemistry was horrible at the time but still my Xenia and gsp did perfectly fine, I think your hammer and chalice could be using up most of your essential elements so much so that your other soft corals can't keep up but then again you said you stay up on mag and calcium so I'm not sure, there are so many factors it's hard to know where to begin

Archived