Colorado's Fluval Spec -V- pico build

ColoradoNano

ColoradoNano's Fluval Spec V build:

Equipment:
Fluval Spec -V- 5 gallon

Current Orbit USA LED marine fixture 18-24in

Mini-jet 606 pump
Hydor Theo 25w heater
inTank media basket w/surface skimmer running filter floss & chemi-pure elite 3.1oz
Coralife digital thermometer
Two little fishies nanomag

Current Temp: *78.0

Livestock:
5.5 lbs live rock
Bare bottom tank

(2) Blue legged hermit crabs

(1) Yellow Tail Damsel

(1) Ocellaris Clownfish

Pics added:

Couple questions: Is it ok to top-off with Walmart distilled water???

-When should I perform my first water change???

Going to work on my aquascape tonight,

post-42761-0-74834300-1423664193_thumb.jpg

post-42761-0-94233000-1423664208_thumb.jpg

post-42761-0-56385700-1423664556_thumb.jpg

Cool start, looking forward to seeing it progress. Regarding some of the information and questions posted:

No, I don't really think Walmart distilled water is to be trusted. I've never used it, and I'm betting that some people online probably have with no problems, but I'd say err on the safe side and don't. If your local grocery store has like a water dispenser that's like 20, 30 cents a gallon, that's likely an RO water, which I think would be a little safer. Used it for four years without issue. However, still wait for a second opinion.

I don't think there is a set time when you have to do your first water change. I'd say let the tank cycle, just top off daily; when all the water tests come back looking okay, then clear the water out. However, again there are probably still some better opinions out there.

I would recommend for your livestock to include some other corals besides just the abovementioned soft corals - maybe add in a Kenya tree or Anthelia, just to add visual height to the aquascape. And I would be careful with adding a damsel of any kind (including clown) to a small tank like this. Not saying it hasn't been done or it's bad, but they are hardy and grow fast, so be prepared to swap them if they get cramped. I think a smaller goby, blenny or dartfish would probably live in here more comfortably.

Anyhow, just my two bits, I wish you good luck and a happy tank!

Definitely no clown or damsel. Way too big for that tank. If you want a fish, look into some of the clown gobies. I kept a green clown goby in my pico. He mainly just sat on rocks.

Odd I have seen other threads and youtube videos with people who have a yellow-tail damsel or a clown in there Spec V

I mean, it's not impossible. It's not like nobody has done it or you'll be dammed if you do. I myself kept a clown in a 4 gallon (in retrospect, a terrible mistake ). I'm just saying that it would probably be best to get a goby or a small blenny for this tank, and maybe save the damsel o clown for a 10 gallon or larger. Maybe consider also a geometric pygmy anthias? If you want something that swims in the water, not just crawls around on the rocks or subatrate, consider a Citron goby. They hover in the water column.

Re-did my aquascape last night will update with new pic

-minijet-606 pump on the way

-Not too sure about this Hydor Theo 25w heater may have to upgrade to 50w or a whole different brand :wacko:

Best of luck mate, haven't seen many bare bottom Spec V's around! I hope all works out!

Also, I had 2 (baby, important*) clowns in my Spec V. They lasted a long time but it was illness that eventually took then, sadly.

It can definitely work.

I'd also say NO to the "distilled" water from Walmart.. unless it's a brand name (but I wouldn't get the Walmart branded stuff personally.)

I used brand name jugs of distilled. Read the label carefully to ensure 0.00ppm particles.

My biggest Spec V suggestions:

- Feed LESS than you think.

- Do MORE water-changes than you think.

- PLUG the side-wall hole

- DO get chemipure and purigen in there, grab a basket if you desire!

& have fun!!! Corals are so much more difficult than fish. I'd personally suggest you start with a small fish - either a SMALL BABY clownfish OR a small yellow-clown goby. That will entertain you for several weeks while your tanks kind of "settles" in - Then add the corals 1 by 1 or .. maybe 2 by 2 haha!! :)

Goodluck mate

@Kijho

Thanks for the kind words and support!!! I appreciate it B)

The LFS has some baby clowns I plan on getting one after my cycle and also adding Chemipure and Purigen, I already have the inTank Media basket installed.

Already plugged the hole.

Thanks about the tips on distilled water I will look into it.

Hello, good luck with the tank. Many grocery stores offer RO or RO/DI water which would be a better option to top off. Are you in Dallas or Colorado?

Hi ColoradoNano, you plugged the hole with what material?

Clear Permatex Silicone

Hello, good luck with the tank. Many grocery stores offer RO or RO/DI water which would be a better option to top off. Are you in Dallas or Colorado?

When i started this acct I lived in Colorado (my username) But now I live in Dallas.

Updated pics, new aquascape let me know what you guys think of it please.

Looks like I will be getting a new heater soon I have this Hydor Theo cranked all the way up and my tank is at 74.7

post-42761-0-61086500-1423776612_thumb.jpg

post-42761-0-00050500-1423776634_thumb.jpg

post-42761-0-94102000-1423776647_thumb.jpg

I've used nothing but Walmart distilled water for well over a year on multiple tanks ranging in size from 1/2 gal to 20 gal without any ill effects. Distilled water is water that is boiled until it turns to pure steam and then condensed back into water (which has zero impurities). It would be a big time legal issue for Walmart if their distilled water was not properly distilled because the FDA (food and drug administration) is required by law to monitor and test all bottled water to make sure it follows all the guidelines for the type of water that it is advertised as being.

Thanks Aviator300 I did go ahead and use the Walmart distilled water for top off BTW the label does say it goes through the RO process for anybody wanting confirmation.

• 2 weeks later...
ColoradoNano

Finally I have something to look at! Bought 5 gallons of saltwater from LFS and 2 hermit crabs!

So far they are active and cruising the tank.....hanging on my nanomag.

ColoradoNano

Added a 3.1 oz bag of chemi-pure elite to my in tank media basket.

Going to add a emerald crab soon I think.

Archived