Coral Vue Hydros

Getting a used DSLR camera - advice on how to set up for tank shots!?

ajmckay

Ajm,

I wouldn't worry too much about which between the 2.8 or 3.5.

At small apertures, like the F/32 you mention, on small format lenses, diffraction is introduced.

You really want to stick in the middle F stops, like 8 or 11.

What's diffraction?

Take your thumb and forefinger. Like you're playing "I'm squishing your head" game. Look through them. Then move them really close together. See, how you can bend light and distort the light coming between your fingers. That's diffraction.

It's also why pinhole cameras can have infinite depth of field, but are never truly in focus.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do think that cell pics can turn out pretty good. The camera quality of smartphones is actually pretty amazing. And like you said you can process and post the image on your phone even. Several of the pics I post are just cell pics vs. my compact point & shoot and most of the time you can't really notice. The cell phone gets a little grainy in darker shots but if I have more than a few seconds to get the shot it usually comes out decent even hand held.

I also like to grab screens from video - not quite the quality but I find they're usually pretty good when something is moving.

It's also why pinhole cameras can have infinite depth of field, but are never truly in focus.

I actually made one of those once... fun to try but didn't get anything overly cool. Used a piece of metal to get the cleanest hole that I could.

Anyways, thanks for the info on diffraction. Some other auctions end early next week so I might hit up one of those. Right now there are just a bunch of buy it now's that are too high.

Sweet, I finally got A macro lens! Took a while to win a decent auction, buy picked this one up for a steal and it came with original front and back lens caps and a Hoya polarizing filter. I also picked up an extension tube that should be here soon. Finally ordered a remote shutter release and a hand grip strap.

I've been messing with taking pictures without metering capabilities and so far I've actually been pretty close. The camera has a cool feature where in the photo preview the highlights blink so it's easy to tell by how much highlights I have where I need to adjust.

Here's some pics

20150221_111006_zpsnakntkfo.jpg

20150221_110720_zpslngxubiu.jpg

Best part is that including the camera and all the accessories I mentioned (I also ordered an extra battery) I've still only spent $130!

Yay for cheepz.

• 1 year later...

Archived