Cultivated Reef

Steensj's Deep Blue 34 Shallow. Shutting Down Tank Due To Work...

Steensj2004

About That ato container, I picked up a 7 gal container from the same dude.

Back 3 sides are blk as well as the bottom and the front is clear. He welds the seams and then reseals the inside with weldon16. He does this to guarantee it does not leak. Build quality was rushed, none of the edges were sanded or polished :(, could have been that much better if he had taken that extra step imo.

Holds water and doesn't leak. Would I buy again?, with my limited acrylic experience and if I had all the pieces pre cut in front of me, I think I could have done a better job building it myself. It's okay I guess for the price, the rough edges just killed it for me.

Nhb, how do you mount that 150 reactor? I have been mygyvering things to try and hang mine with no luck.

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

Back 3 sides are blk as well as the bottom and the front is clear. He welds the seams and then reseals the inside with weldon16. He does this to guarantee it does not leak. Build quality was rushed, none of the edges were sanded or polished :(, could have been that much better if he had taken that extra step imo.

Holds water and doesn't leak. Would I buy again?, with my limited acrylic experience and if I had all the pieces pre cut in front of me, I think I could have done a better job building it myself. It's okay I guess for the price, the rough edges just killed it for me.

Nhb, how do you mount that 150 reactor? I have been mygyvering things to try and hang mine with no luck.

mygyvering is a understatement to what I did... I drilled a hole into the bracket part on the back, then screwed it into the stand with the bottom resting on the sump. Its not pretty, but works.

Im debating on getting a Avast marine "you build it" reactor and cutting it in half but well see, till then the ghetto reactor works well enough.

If you are still looking at ATO reservoirs, why not take a look at the eshopps? There is a couple different sizes, small, med, lrg, and quality is pretty good. Got the med sized one myself and fits in the stand. Just going to hookup an aqualifter

If you are still looking at ATO reservoirs, why not take a look at the eshopps? There is a couple different sizes, small, med, lrg, and quality is pretty good. Got the med sized one myself and fits in the stand. Just going to hookup an aqualifter

I considered it already, will have to sit outside stand, no want blue..... That's why I didn't just snag an Eshopps.....

Crap, I wondered why they were so cheap. Maybe I'll build one.

I considered it already, will have to sit outside stand, no want blue..... That's why I didn't just snag an Eshopps......

Krylon fusion. Can make it any color you want :D

Krylon fusion. Can make it any color you want :D

I've only seen the one size? They make different size dosing containers? Hmmmm, I could paint it....

And it only holds like 2.5 gallons, I'd be refilling every other day..... Blah

edit: Nevermind, found the 5 and 10 gallon versions. Man, I wonder if that guy improved his quality, 90.00 for the Eshopps and its blue( I'd have to paint).

I can post a pic if you would like, so you can see the edges. Everything was aligned good and it holds water great, just the edges of the acrylic have not been sanded or routed, looks like he cut the pieces and glued it all together. Once you peel the protective paper off and you have all that Shiney blk looking at you, the edges just pop out.

Tap plastics can cut the acrylic to the size you specify, but you would still need to sand them down a bit and or pay the lil extra for them to do it for you. Another option may be to hit up Mike over at micro reefs, he might be able to build you one and or cut the acrylic for you.

I can post a pic if you would like, so you can see the edges. Everything was aligned good and it holds water great, just the edges of the acrylic have not been sanded or routed, looks like he cut the pieces and glued it all together. Once you peel the protective paper off and you have all that Shiney blk looking at you, the edges just pop out.

Tap plastics can cut the acrylic to the size you specify, but you would still need to sand them down a bit and or pay the lil extra for them to do it for you. Another option may be to hit up Mike over at micro reefs, he might be able to build you one and or cut the acrylic for you.

Most the ATO tanks Ive seen are expensive as heck from big name acrylic dealers....Ive priced acrylic for an ATO reservoir before from a local dealer. Profit margin on a 5 gallon ATO from a lot of these places is outrageous. I think a 5 gallon would cost me about 65-75.00 to build, some dealers are asking 2x that not including shipping....blah <_<

Ill check out Micro reefs, thanks!

How is the skimmer doing?

Doing well, was skimming well, had to adjust a little today, but that was expected. I think once the system has a decent bioload it'll be killer

Threw some raw shrimp in again, get the levels up again, continue the cycle. Can't hurt, Im waiting to hear about my light, no info. I was told it was going out this week( first week of march). Ordered the following:

1- Eshopps 5 gallon ATO

1- Sicce Micra 90gph pump

1-Eco Plus 4.5" Axial Aquarium Fan, 112 CFM

thinking about taking NGHB's advice and changing doors to hinges too. We shall see.....

Steensj2004

Definitely an interesting setup!

Lol, dunno if that a good thing or a bad thing....

Welp, skimmer seems to be working well, even with no real bioload it is pulling some stinky water/gunk. pretty happy with it.

1A6DAE05-B8C2-4E0D-A07F-6EFAB4F039ED_zps

When you guys empty your collection cup, do you just rinse it or do you wipe the film out? I was under the impression you want the slime layer, but it makes my cabinet stink, lol.

Whats the thoughts on the aquascape?

80F550FC-1D59-4EFC-9B71-2EB68853B05B_zps

I want some depth, I want several islands spaced apart, I might break it up even more. With the wide footprint, I want to take advantge of the space.

Lol, dunno if that a good thing or a bad thing....

Whats the thoughts on the aquascape?

80F550FC-1D59-4EFC-9B71-2EB68853B05B_zps

I want some depth, I want several islands spaced apart, I might break it up even more. With the wide footprint, I want to take advantge of the space.

It was a good comment, especially since I'm currently rather torn on whether to go with a "traditional" tank+sump setup (thinking 40breeder plus sump) or go with the IM Fusion 30/40 lineup. Doubly so because a lot of what you have in your setup is similar to what I'm contemplating, and the layout you've gone with has a nice and sizeable refugium.

As for the aquascape, I've no real experience doing such but I like the look of it.

Steensj2004

It was a good comment, especially since I'm currently rather torn on whether to go with a "traditional" tank+sump setup (thinking 40breeder plus sump) or go with the IM Fusion 30/40 lineup. Doubly so because a lot of what you have in your setup is similar to what I'm contemplating, and the layout you've gone with has a nice and sizeable refugium.

As for the aquascape, I've no real experience doing such but I like the look of it.

Before I picekd this tank, I was going to grab a IM Fusion 30L, and either drill it or use an overflow box to have a 20L sump with a huge refugium and a good skimmer. When I started planning it out, the cost was ridiculous. For the price of the 30L alone( 350.00) built my stand ( 160.00ish)AND got my tank( 180.00). I have a tank with ta MUCH bigger footprint, and a custom stand. Add the IM stand and I built my sump, and plumbing...

IM tanks are great, don't get me wrong. But the cost of the IM tank and pressboard stand is 650.00! I have my tank, Custom wood stand, plumbing, Skimmer, and Return pump for that! CRAZY! Not to mention the sump is a HUGE advantage over the AIO in my honest opinion.

Before I picekd this tank, I was going to grab a IM Fusion 30L, and either drill it or use an overflow box to have a 20L sump with a huge refugium and a good skimmer. When I started planning it out, the cost was ridiculous. For the price of the 30L alone( 350.00) built my stand ( 160.00ish)AND got my tank( 180.00). I have a tank with ta MUCH bigger footprint, and a custom stand. Add the IM stand and I built my sump, and plumbing...

IM tanks are great, don't get me wrong. But the cost of the IM tank and pressboard stand is 650.00! I have my tank, Custom wood stand, plumbing, Skimmer, and Return pump for that! CRAZY! Not to mention the sump is a HUGE advantage over the AIO in my honest opinion.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head for a number of the things I'm trying to compare between the two. With how prices on IM tanks are in Canada, I could probably get quite the lovely 40B low-iron glass custom built and pick up a few tools and jigs to build my own stand. An IM tank would probably be a lot easier to move, but like you've said - a full on tank with sump gives a great deal more footprint to work with, plus it's a lot easier to actually have a reasonably large refugium with an actual sump.

Steensj2004

Pretty much hit the nail on the head for a number of the things I'm trying to compare between the two. With how prices on IM tanks are in Canada, I could probably get quite the lovely 40B low-iron glass custom built and pick up a few tools and jigs to build my own stand. An IM tank would probably be a lot easier to move, but like you've said - a full on tank with sump gives a great deal more footprint to work with, plus it's a lot easier to actually have a reasonably large refugium with an actual sump.

Don't get me wrong, IM makes great tanks! But Ive had one, and the AIO drove me NUTS! Thats why I didn't get one and drill/convert it to have a sump. Whats the point? Why not just do a build with a normal tank, and have a sump? lol. There are some advantages to AIO, for example I am fighting humidity in my stand, I leave the doors off most days. I plan to open up the back this week. I am also putting a 120CFM fan inside the stand. I am worried about my electronics.

Steensj2004

Like the scape. Looks natural and accents the depth of this tank! Kudos!

Thanks! I may separate the two sides more, unsure......

Spiderguardnano

What's up steen trying to adjust my vertex and it keeps overflowing I was wondering where do you want the bubble in the neck should be? I was raising the skimmer up and down to see which is best can you shoot me pic or vid of how high the bubbles reach in your skimmer thank you

Steensj2004

What's up steen trying to adjust my vertex and it keeps overflowing I was wondering where do you want the bubble in the neck should be? I was raising the skimmer up and down to see which is best can you shoot me pic or vid of how high the bubbles reach in your skimmer thank you

Mine was a nightmare at first, I am pretty extreme on the low end of water depth range from the manufacturer suggestions. you might consider a stand like I built, I ended up with a stand about 3-3.5" tall , and the skimmer in about inches of waters. I keep my bubbles around where the skimmer cup screws into the skimmer body, maybe a little above. Sorry, I can't get a vid,my skimmer is slimmed up, lol. Hope this helps!

Waiting for my Eshopps 5 gallon ATO reservoir and Sicce Micra pump to get here, also sent the money to a member for a Midsized IM reactor today too. Want to run carbon in it to lesson the smell issues. The shrimp looks like an alien eggsac, hahaha.

Cool beans,

When I dump my collection cup, I clean the slime and gunk out of the collector neck and lid, keeps the skimmer running tits between bi monthly cleaning of the whole unit.

Nano box? What did you get, the duo, quad or hybrid?

Archived