Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Steensj's Deep Blue 34 Shallow. Shutting Down Tank Due To Work...

Steensj2004

Steensj2004

Wow, tank looks better than ever today, I'm floored. Apparently keeping my dick beaters out of the tank helped, lmao. Everything is more extended and happier then I've ever seen it. Awesome!

There are literally what looks like 100 flatworms in the overflow at this point, still zero to be seen in sump not display? I suppose none have made it into the overflow drain.....hmmmm

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do they look like these 2?

51bb26bd-7b77-4081-894e-f2b4e9325d61_zps

If so, these are acoel flatworms. They are harmless. Generally, in my experience and others that I have read, they tend to pop up in the first 6 months or so that the tank is running and eventually just disappear.

Nanofreak79

Nuvo to a 34DB shallow. love it, use to have the same tank. nice upgrade,tank looks nice.....soon it'll be all filled in and looking dope.

Steensj2004

Do they look like these 2?

51bb26bd-7b77-4081-894e-f2b4e9325d61_zps

If so, these are acoel flatworms. They are harmless. Generally, in my experience and others that I have read, they tend to pop up in the first 6 months or so that the tank is running and eventually just disappear.

Yes, exactly like those. Since they are sitting in only the overflow, I plan to forgo any chemical additions as it's better that way. Water change and testing tomorrow, looks like I might consider setting up a doser in the next few months.

NorthGaHillbilly

I had those for a while, almost over reacted and nuked em with FWX, really glad I didn't as they passed quickly. I've found the less I mess with the tank The more I can isolate the cause of things.

Really glad to hear the tanks doing well after the vacation, I always stress when away from the tank, so I know the relief of coming home and seeing things looking good

Steensj2004

I plant to forgo the FWE treatment and see what happens with these worms. Also, reading online that BTA shouldn't be fed daily, might cut back to 2-3 times weekly, suggestions?

NorthGaHillbilly

I plant to forgo the FWE treatment and see what happens with these worms. Also, reading online that BTA shouldn't be fed daily, might cut back to 2-3 times weekly, suggestions?

mine gets something every day, but on the rare occasion I miss a few feedings it dosent seem to mind going 2-5 days

Yeah, I would def hold off on treating anything. I bet you will see them disappear within a month, maybe sooner.

Steensj2004

Yeah, I would def hold off on treating anything. I bet you will see them disappear within a month, maybe sooner.

Gotcha, they are actually a little more whitish then the picture above, can't get a good pic though. I also have some small starfish like deals inside the overflow, I've seen them before but forget.... they look like this:

http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/index.php?threads/hydroids.388900/

If I recall they are harmless and are pretty common with a new tank......

I also may have effed up today, 10 gallon water change and accidently got my 1/4 ID tubing close to my yellow/purple torch... sucked up 2-3 of the tenticles, they deflated and now its all closed up :( damnit...

On a positive note, some new cool Zoas, hopefully they open up soon!

Gotcha, they are actually a little more whitish then the picture above, can't get a good pic though. I also have some small starfish like deals inside the overflow, I've seen them before but forget.... they look like this:

http://forums.saltwaterfish.com/index.php?threads/hydroids.388900/

If I recall they are harmless and are pretty common with a new tank......

I also may have effed up today, 10 gallon water change and accidently got my 1/4 ID tubing close to my yellow/purple torch... sucked up 2-3 of the tenticles, they deflated and now its all closed up :( damnit...

On a positive note, some new cool Zoas, hopefully they open up soon!

Yeah, my picture above was taken with a point and shoot and I had to set up a really awkward white balance to get it to come out. In reality, they were a grey/whitish color. The hydoids also will eventually disappear on their own, from my experience. Just be glad they are not digitate hydroids, those are a bitch.

I wouldn't worry too much about the torch. It should bounce back pretty quick if it was just a couple polyps. Just watch and make sure you don't see any brown jelly, but I would really doubt it from what you described happened.

Steensj2004

A few new pics, Tanks looking excellent, everything happy,

Color coming in that wasn't there before....

20635E99-8ED3-4B8C-8961-40213F3A1364_zps

Oh, ellllllooooo...

51894FE9-972B-4376-9699-9FBDB05D30A3_zps

00045675-CF1A-442A-A34C-473A24143B96_zps

Steensj2004

Ok, Updates as of today....Tank looking better daily, everything doing awesome! I have a few questions for the other reefers.....

1. My plate coral, super healthy, good extension, but at night it has been,"Swelling up?" Instead of it's generally flat apperance, it looks like a mound, as if filled up with water? Then back to normal during the day... No pic yet, ideas?

2. Possible for Stomatella snails to breed and for me to have an explosion? I have 2-3 in my tank that are the size of a damn nickel, and now have what looks like about 20 small ones on the glass?

3. The Anemone looks to have split, here are some pics. The bottom one looks as if it has a mouth facing down, and the top one has a mouth slightly visable. I cannot see the entire bottom part/ half/ other nem....Thoughts?

2981F6B1-1D7E-4D08-A2A2-E1E83A6560EC_zps

Mouth in center close to rock:

1FFA34A1-0776-4C0E-B32C-0F3DDF477560_zps

49E4A4C1-3FEC-419C-B8D2-0EA33C6AF528_zps

More good news, the Damsel had some tail issues, wasn't sure if it was tail rot or being nipped at. Been soaking stuff in garlic and the tail is back full force in just a few weeks! Tail was white, mostly gone before, now....

4ABFA7BB-DDB6-45E3-A256-287AE376EF92_zps

Steensj2004

Im jelly of that damsel. My tank has seriously been a damsel black ####### hole.

I've been super happy with him, I had two but one died shortly after he was put into the tank.... Not sure why, but he was always kinda weird and iffy. I really love the fish, looking at getting another Talbots if I can find one.

Why such a hard time with Damsels?

jedimasterben

I've been super happy with him, I had two but one died shortly after he was put into the tank.... Not sure why, but he was always kinda weird and iffy. I really love the fish, looking at getting another Talbots if I can find one.

Why such a hard time with Damsels?

Dunno, but I've lost probably 30 of them in the past couple of months. Mostly from the Blue Zoo fiasco, though.

Steensj2004

Nice Mandy pictures

Thanks! No shit, 3 inches or more long, my LFS get in scooters and Mandy's that were huuuuuuge, very pretty, and I dose pods bi-weekly, staying get and happy and sump/ display glass always covered in pods. Trying to learn how to culture pods on mah own.

Dunno, but I've lost probably 30 of them in the past couple of months. Mostly from the Blue Zoo fiasco, though.

Awe man, bummer. This one is really beautiful, lots of personality and leaves everyone alone, there are a lot of pretty damsels!

Steensj2004

Freaking UPS, this is the 3rd package in a ROW that has been damaged when delivered. Luckily nothing inside was fragile and nothing was damaged. Gah....rant over.

0C5AFCCA-5E5D-4E69-B8DE-A15AA6D38D6F_zps

Nothing exciting, but got some more ROX .8 adnd the FWE. Going to forgo the FWE for now as the population has slowed way down.....

D7AAFD50-B70A-4A8D-BAA8-75096B6EA50E_zps

FFE25F06-99C9-474C-98A6-10668A889FA9_zps

Steensj2004

Welp, Traded a few fish to a buddy today for some zoas, they were getting picked on a little and i was waiting it out to see how it went, I finally I caved and traded. Man I hate getting fish out of my tank...... So then this happened for 30.00...

4DB06506-7AE5-4EC0-B98C-6B4B97C25B1C_zps

C811B8AD-F0F7-4492-8242-CF9F3799D340_zps

Sorry about the blur, I couldn't get the a-holes to sit still. Paif of misbar clownskis.....

Another note, anyone ever had an emerald crab dig at an anemone?

20BB27A2-7422-40F7-837E-A4897A89484E_zps

If I he was digging at the underside and I don't know WTF he was doing, nem didn't show any damage but if I catch him at it again I'ma throw his trifflin ass into the sump! Homie don't pay that shiz!

Steensj2004

Might have been food stuck to the nem.

Don't think so, this isn't the first time, and he digs at the backside of the flesh....jerk

Also, I have an explosion of mini stomatella snails, do they breed sucessfully in home reefs?

Snail eggs? Anyone have an idea what they are

E8B70B8E-A641-4B8B-A562-A7526D556BF9_zps

Possibly stomatella snail eggs...have you seen any stomatellas in your tank?

Steensj2004

Possibly stomatella snail eggs...have you seen any stomatellas in your tank?

Yeah, I have 3 that are the size of a nickel, now I already ahve about 30 little ones that came out of nowhere. Now I see these the other day......horney bastards!

Archived