Cultivated Reef

Steensj's Deep Blue 34 Shallow. Shutting Down Tank Due To Work...

Steensj2004

Decided it was time to set up a new tank, I had considered going much larger, but just don't have the space. I was going to have a custom tank built, but ended up finding a Deep Blue Professional Edge 34 Frag tank. Didn't know they existed until the local guy that was going to build me a tank sent me a pic from a LFS. He said it would save me money, and it would probably be a better route overall. I agreed, and got it for 180.00. Looking for some advice on equipment, if you have suggestions on something else to use, that will be better served for this tank( heavy SPS) please let me know. Equipment plans are as follows:

Tank- Deep Blue Professional Edge 34

Stand- Custom DIY, fully removable front panel

Lighting: Nanobox Hybrid(Black) w/ Bluefish Mini and Coral Compulsion Par30 Refugium Grow Light for Fuge.

Flow: Maxspect Gyre 130

Sump: DIY 20L sump w/ Refugium. Raised Plenum, 3" sandbed, and Extra LR

Return: Sicce Quiet One 3.0

Skimmer: NYOS Quantum 120

Controller: Neptune Systems Apex w/ PH probe and Breakout Box for ATO and interior stand lighting control.

Reactor: IM Midsize Reactor running RowaPhos

Heater: Titanium Heating Element

ATO: Float Switches ran through controller

Dosing: Jebao DP-4

Rock- Dry rock from Carib-sea

FA3BB486-772C-4E45-A78A-C39113EC1F63.jpg

Current Livestock:

Fish:

-Talbot's Damsel

-Starry Night Blenny

-M/F Pair of MisBar Clowns

Inverts:

-Fighting Conch

-Variegated Short Spine Urchin

- Emerald Crab(2x)

-Assorted Hermits

-Assorted Snails

-Yellow Pistol Shrimp

-White and Yellow Squat Lobster

Softies:

-Red Death Paly

-Purple Gorgonian

- Pink Gorgonian

-Orange and green Ric(5)

-Superman Mushroom

-Sherbert Dream Mushroom

LPS:

- Blue and Red Acan

-Neon Green Plate

-Orange w/ Purple Rim Plate

-Neon Green w/ Yellow TipTorch

-Green Frogspawn w/ Purple Tips

-Teal/Green Favia

-Teal/Pink/Green Pagoda Cup

-Incredible Hulk Lepto

-Orange Crush Chalice

-Small Red, Blue Chalice

-Turtle Ooze Favia

-Mummy Eye Chalice morph

-Toxic Splatter Hammer

-Branching Duncan

SPS:

-Sour Apple Birdsnest

-Rainbow Tort

-Rainbow Monti

-Yellow Acro

-LA Lakers Monti

-Joker Monti

-Ponapae Birdsnest

-Orange Digi Monti

-Raspberry Milli

:happydance::lol:

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NorthGaHillbilly

I went with ALOT of the same equipment you have listed, Ive really enjoyed my DB. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

I went with ALOT of the same equipment you have listed, Ive really enjoyed my DB. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Thanks, I also have some concern with a single overflow and no emergency. My stand wond be as amazing as yours, lol!

What skimmer are you running?

NorthGaHillbilly

Thanks, I also have some concern with a single overflow and no emergency. My stand wond be as amazing as yours, lol!

What skimmer are you running?

Im not a fan of a single dorso, but PLENTY of folks do it without a problem. the sides are not tempered, so you could run the 3/4" hole as your siphon and the 1" as the emergency, and drill a 3/4" off on the side.

I appreciate the kind words, its not the most spectacular stand ever, but it gets the job done

Im running a RO 150, tho I think for most applications a 110 would get the job done without a problem.

Im not a fan of a single dorso, but PLENTY of folks do it without a problem. the sides are not tempered, so you could run the 3/4" hole as your siphon and the 1" as the emergency, and drill a 3/4" off on the side.

I appreciate the kind words, its not the most spectacular stand ever, but it gets the job done

Im running a RO 150, tho I think for most applications a 110 would get the job done without a problem.

I'm considering the SKimz SN123 too....heard they are pretty boss skimmers.... I really don't wanna drill, I considered that, but was hoping for no tubes/pipes externally <_<

Plan is to do an electronics box like you, oak ply with a removable front for 100% access.

NorthGaHillbilly

I'm considering the SKimz SN123 too....heard they are pretty boss skimmers.... I really don't wanna drill, I considered that, but was hoping for no tubes/pipes externally <_<

Plan is to do an electronics box like you, oak ply with a removable front for 100% access.

I haven’t had any experience with them, but from a quick google search they look pretty sick!

Dont count doors out, removable fronts arent bad, but having to completely remove it to have any access can be a pain. With the right hinges you can get the same access with little work.

16446608395_b449a09a23_z.jpg20150204_203028 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

20 seconds later

16446608445_b889ace339_z.jpg20150204_203046 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

I haven’t had any experience with them, but from a quick google search they look pretty sick!

Dont count doors out, removable fronts arent bad, but having to completely remove it to have any access can be a pain. With the right hinges you can get the same access with little work.

16446608395_b449a09a23_z.jpg20150204_203028 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

20 seconds later

16446608445_b889ace339_z.jpg20150204_203046 by North Ga Hillbilly, on Flickr

Fair enough. I still planned on doors, however for wires coming out of the back of the Electronics mounting board I wanted good access.....

NorthGaHillbilly

Fair enough. I still planned on doors, however for wires coming out of the back of the Electronics mounting board I wanted good access.....

I built a door for my electrical compartment, but havent put it on. Its nice to have it all right there, and im not as worried about aesthetics

I really like my Sicce 3.0, I think its perfect for the tank, solid call

I built a door for my electrical compartment, but havent put it on. Its nice to have it all right there, and im not as worried about aesthetics

I really like my Sicce 3.0, I think its perfect for the tank, solid call

What about these Skimz skimmers? Know anything about them, thinking maybe a Skimz SN123 or 143? hmmmmmm.

need to replace the Bulkheads from what I hear as well.

NorthGaHillbilly

What about these Skimz skimmers? Know anything about them, thinking maybe a Skimz SN123 or 143? hmmmmmm

I dont have any experience with them. They look well built, and the DC motor could really be a plus. With them being relatively new its hard to say, but I expect if the pump isnt up to snuff, itll crap out within the warranty period and you can get it worked out. I tried to get a jeabo DC pump, likely built in the same factory as the skimz pumps, but they didnt want to sell one separately from the skimmer :(.

I dont have any experience with them. They look well built, and the DC motor could really be a plus. With them being relatively new its hard to say, but I expect if the pump isnt up to snuff, itll crap out within the warranty period and you can get it worked out. I tried to get a jeabo DC pump, likely built in the same factory as the skimz pumps, but they didnt want to sell one separately from the skimmer :(.

A little worried to test it out. Reviews seem very solid online. Wish someone else would weigh in.

NorthGaHillbilly

Tagging along cuz this is on my list of tanks to upgrade to. How you like the glass quality on the Deep Blue?

The front pane is there "opti-pure" or other such nonsense. Its a low iron glass and looks good. The edges are polished well, tho the silicone isnt the best. Its as good as any other off the shelf tank ive seen, but a few less than perfect spots.

Didnt realize you had you tank already Steens, didnt mean to but in :unsure:

I'm Happy with the quality. The seams on the one I got are clean, glass is lined up well. Quality is well above any Marineland or Aqueon/Tetra I've ever seen. Diamond polished edges are nice as well. I'm excited to get this bish up and running, looks like I'm going to try a Skimz SN123.

Yea, that's such a great price for a 30+ gallon tank. I read somewhere that the glass quality on their 30g shallow wasnt that great so I am glad the 34g is low iron. I been stalking NorthGaHillbilly's build too =P.

NorthGaHillbilly

Yea, that's such a great price for a 30+ gallon tank. I read somewhere that the glass quality on their 30g shallow wasnt that great so I am glad the 34g is low iron. I been stalking NorthGaHillbilly's build too =P.

The 34 does have thicker glass than the 24x24 30 gallon... I took calipers to em to be sure

Very nice list you have going on there. :)

The skimz, They are nice but pricey, steered me away for now but I have heard great things about them, I especially like the newer cone style skimmers they have out but have yet to see one in person just vids.

On the lighting, summers just around the corner, why not an led with t5 retro kit. T5's put out some heat, not as much as halides but I can feel it when near my ATI fixture. Maybe run a single bulb on either side of your led unit or not and just go for strictly leds or...t5s. I just really love the shimmer leds put out. No real shimmer with just t5s. Jmo

The skimz, They are nice but pricey, steered me away for now but I have heard great things about them, I especially like the newer cone style skimmers they have out but have yet to see one in person just vids.

On the lighting, summers just around the corner, why not an led with t5 retro kit. T5's put out some heat, not as much as halides but I can feel it when near my ATI fixture. Maybe run a single bulb on either side of your led unit or not and just go for strictly leds or...t5s. I just really love the shimmer leds put out. No real shimmer with just t5s. Jmo

The nanobox hybrid is a combination of T5's and LEDs.

The NanoBox Hybrid will be 4 pucks of LED and one T5 on each side? The Skimz SN123 is under 200.00, I thought that was a good deal with a adjustable DC pump.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/skimz-sn123-monzter-mini-protein-skimmer.html

The NanoBox Hybrid will be 4 pucks of LED and one T5 on each side? The Skimz SN123 is under 200.00, I thought that was a good deal with a adjustable DC pump.

Can't go wrong with a nanobox. :)

The smallest skimz skimmer I was looking at a while back was the 201 I believe and it was like 5-6 bills or maybe even more. Sounds pretty affordable for a DC driven skimmer. What is the sn123 rated for?

Edit

Just seen the link and checked it out, looks pretty awesome. What other skimmer where you looking at and how do they compare with the skimz?

I can't find a Gyre 130 in stock anywhere, wonder if I can get a 150 and keep it turned way down?

Can't go wrong with a nanobox. :)

The smallest skimz skimmer I was looking at a while back was the 201 I believe and it was like 5-6 bills or maybe even more. Sounds pretty affordable for a DC driven skimmer. What is the sn123 rated for?

Edit

Just seen the link and checked it out, looks pretty awesome. What other skimmer where you looking at and how do they compare with the skimz?

Considered a Bubble Mangus Curve 5, a Vertex 130, and a Cadlights PLS-100. Only have experience with reef octopus and IM Ghost skimmer, I'm really torn on a skimmer right now...

I want a banging skimmer, I love SPS and I'll need one

The skimmer chamber can handle a larger skimmer the I could possibly need.... I donno, am I ballay enough to gamble on a little reviewed skimmer like a Skimz, or do I play it safe. TBD, lol!

Marine depot has the xf130.

Says,"Temp out of stock 4-6 weeks." Bummer. Couldn't I use the 150?...

Archived