Top Shelf Aquatics

Steensj's Deep Blue 34 Shallow. Shutting Down Tank Due To Work...

Steensj2004

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn anemone, was melted, guys hanging out when I got home, stuck to back right corner glass hanging on sand. Thought it was dead so tried to get it out of tank. Bitch closed up. Hmmm, still fighting, tough little guy. Now it's puffed up, and moving around in the night lights. God I hate this mother effer!

So I bought a button Scoly, it was super nice, then put it to close to a torch. Not sure illy make it..... I'm an idiot.

B0077A2F-E502-4A9A-80A4-23078B860694.jpg

8CD978AF-8ECB-4EC4-9BFD-A759D769A972.jpg

Got some badass new Blastos. Glue job is shit as you can see. Two baby heads on the back though so they should grow well.

E96E01C1-8D5E-414F-938A-06FF36FC0D35.jpg

Lol, the Scoly was defiantely my fault. The nem, I can't figure out seeing as the water quality is on point.... I've decided he's just racist, against land people

Need some help, of all the corals in my tank, many of my Zoas are staying closed up. A few that were actually staying opened up started to partial close recently. No pests that I can find, no spiders , pox, or nudis. I just can't seem to keep them open. Several frags are nest to mushrooms, and the mushrooms are open as they can be. Everything else, including the SPS is happy and has great polyp extension. Water levels are in check:

Salinity:1.026

Calcium:440ppm

Alk: 10dKH

Magnesium: 1450

Temp: 79.5

I considered that to much flow was part of the issue, however, several colonies are in different spots in the tank. I just can't figure it out. Zoas should be the last thing I screw up, lol. Suggestions?

Picked up a Few Corals today:

Red Digi:

141D3EE7-2C22-4DB0-ADE1-B48BB110CC21.jpg

LA Lakers Monti:

0A6B78AA-7718-41D0-8376-E350D633D4B7.jpg

Purple Monti w/ Green Polyps( unsure name, ID?)

FA488846-7027-44A1-847A-EF6123DF8F62.jpg

ECFB6356-01CD-454A-8532-2108314D9DFD.jpg

GARF Bonsai :

2FBFDFB3-7985-4295-8D89-934EB5C1521F.jpg

Suggestions on Monti placement? Always had great luck with Monti-Digis, but I just have horrible luck with any other monti. Which sucks as they are some of my favorite corals.

How sweet is this thing?!

AB3C3BBD-B042-42DC-B90F-0E6837F41C1A.jpg

Wow everything looks awesome! That Lawnbox :wub:

I don't think you could really give the Montipora too much light; I have some at the absolute top of my tank doing great and some at the bottom doing equally well.

Wow everything looks awesome! That Lawnbox :wub:

I don't think you could really give the Montipora too much light; I have some at the absolute top of my tank doing great and some at the bottom doing equally well.

Thanks!

I dunno, my rainbow monti looks lik crap. Moved it into the shade and its pushing out polyps again. I'll try out a few spots based on how they reach. Wish I had a PAR meter.

I want that monti you have, the Orange one.

Thanks!

I dunno, my rainbow monti looks lik crap. Moved it into the shade and its pushing out polyps again. I'll try out a few spots based on how they reach. Wish I had a PAR meter.

I want that monti you have, the Orange one.

Sunset Montipora are very cheap actually, it grows quick. If only it could survive 2 day shipping I would frag it for you!

LA Laker monti gonna look awesome when it grows big. So jealous. I always wanted that monti.

Local guy has multiple frags( I get a KILLER deal). Traded some frags and paid 20.00 for the Digi and the Bonsai(Others were free) I can frag after it grows or snag one for you if you want to try and ship?

How do you know if corks re really getting food? Obviously my acans take food, but why bout when I turn off pumps me cloud sps with cool snow etc?

Need some help. The zoas I was having problems with closing up acted differently after I manually upped the lighting. Some of the polyps that were closed up opened after the lights were turned up. Does that mean that I should bump the lighting? A few other corals reacted well too...?

Need some help. The zoas I was having problems with closing up acted differently after I manually upped the lighting. Some of the polyps that were closed up opened after the lights were turned up. Does that mean that I should bump the lighting? A few other corals reacted well too...?

So you turned up the lighting and the corals look happier?

Sounds like a no-brainer to me! Slowly raise the intensity, a few clicks per day (Dunno what light you have)

So you turned up the lighting and the corals look happier?

Sounds like a no-brainer to me! Slowly raise the intensity, a few clicks per day (Dunno what light you have)

I'm just not sure 100% that the lighting made them come out

• 2 weeks later...

Need some votes here, Deep Blue 57gal Edge Upgrade. Yay or nay? Same footprint, just taller. What say you, nano-reefians?

I guess it would depend on your reasoning for upgrading. You are not giving yourself any added footprint and I don't really see much in the way of crowding in the upper half of your tank, so the only real benefit is more water volume. That is, unless you are just not liking the look of a shallow reef anymore. You already have somewhere around 40+ gallons of water, which is pretty decent, therefore, I would not suggest it purely for the fact of increasing water volume. Do you prefer the look of a shallow tank, or a more deeper tank?

I really think you should go for something with Starphire....lol just giving you a hard time. :lol:

Need some votes here, Deep Blue 57gal Edge Upgrade. Yay or nay? Same footprint, just taller. What say you, nano-reefians?

I don't like taller tanks cause they are harder to reach in and clean the sand line... :closedeyes:

But It looks like its only 18 inches (?)... that a nice arms length... go for it!! Wait... 20 inches? Too deep... NOPE!

;)

I guess it would depend on your reasoning for upgrading. You are not giving yourself any added footprint and I don't really see much in the way of crowding in the upper half of your tank, so the only real benefit is more water volume. That is, unless you are just not liking the look of a shallow reef anymore. You already have somewhere around 40+ gallons of water, which is pretty decent, therefore, I would not suggest it purely for the fact of increasing water volume. Do you prefer the look of a shallow tank, or a more deeper tank?

I really think you should go for something with Starphire....lol just giving you a hard time. :lol:

Lolz, starphire, haha, well played sir. Excellent points from both sides. Was looking at the larger tank, and water volume. Want 80 shallow but haz no room :(

Lolz, starphire, haha, well played sir. Excellent points from both sides. Was looking at the larger tank, and water volume. Want 80 shallow but haz no room :(

Feel ya on that one. If I had the room for it, I probably would have the 80 shallow too, starphire or not!

you haven't said why you want to upgrade yet =P.

Well, mostly the fish/livestock I want and more water volume. Although some good points were brought up. Also looking for more coral room but without changing the footprint not sure it'll help. Would also like more height on aquascape so it's easier to place light specific corals based on requirements. Been hard to find spots some stuff likes, PAR stays pretty consistent as shallow as the tank is and how high the scape is.

Fighting some zoa issues, have some kind of damn white hair like stuff growing in some causing them to close. Also fighting aptasia, damn things keep popping up. Have a peppermint and aptasia-x to battle but more keep popping up. I keep the population down but keep finding babies, damnit.

Everything is doing well though(minus zoas). SPS growing well, LPS extending and growing well too.

Pics!

AA3110DA-E621-40EB-BA0C-0DA83D1E8B27.jpg

749851A5-502A-4824-A3B3-977E663B2469.jpg

5624BCC4-221B-4C4A-A9DD-710D0D1B5554.jpg

7BDDC3FA-FCED-4A5F-99D8-BC304A095BA4.jpg

1185E619-471A-4403-B261-5A30C2BC26EF.jpg

FCD1821F-6AE4-4E4E-8E77-B39112374524.jpg

23159841-03AC-4C16-86BD-716A3D231361.jpg

58B80AF7-F94E-43AA-BF2D-10F98DEB54A1.jpg

9F266C1A-ADC6-42C4-B963-B7351A6DF547.jpg[/url

986B1DBC-3EB7-48BE-8EBD-E1FEEC2A0C14.jpg

Archived