inTank Media Baskets

What is my yellow cucumber doing?

Jbrock183

I just purchased a yellow cucumber last week. The first evening he was very active. The next day he had moved to a corner in the back of the tank and barely moved. By the end of the day he started scaling upward on the glass and appeared to be splitting (I saw a separate body coming from his rear). The next day he started to move again and showed no signs of splitting. This morning I noticed a small piece of his body, probably about an inch and a half long lying about 6 inches from the rest of his body. Both pieces appeared to have dead tissue surrounding the end (what I'm guessing used to be the middle). The larger part is about 5 inches long and has started moving again, but there is still what appears to be dead tissue on one end. The smaller part has showed no signs of movement at all and my Nassarius snails and a bristle worm keep circling it. Is this typical for how a cucumber splits? Is the circling of the bristle worm and nassarius snails a sign that the smaller part is dead tissue? Should I remove it? I'm not very familiar with the yellow cucumber, so hopefully someone can give me and idea about what is happening.

Power heads are protected, and I have an excellent food source. As far as what else is in the tank, I have a clownfish, yellow tail damsel, peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, red leg hermit, bristleworms, and a nice assortment of snails.

I'll try to get pictures but the location doesn't make that very convenient. I'll send the best quality I can. I will say, I'm keeping power heads high and no real danger of the little guy getting caught in one of those of the power filter to be shredded and release toxins. This is definitely a physiological adjustment of some time. Just not sure if it's splitting or something else.

smaller piece (just over an inch) no movement being noticed.

Larger piece - looking better and becoming more active.

Pics got out of order but the longer and shorter should be easily distinguished.

Short piece.

Pull the small one out of the tank and put it in a separate jar, poke it and tell me is it stiff, or baggy or firm to the touch. And smell the jar, does it stink?

I saw slight movement earlier. But nothing to speak of. No movement that I've seen since he's been in the jar. I even added some phyto feast hoping for motivation. Still nothing.

I saw slight movement earlier. But nothing to speak of. No movement that I've seen since he's been in the jar. I even added some phyto feast hoping for motivation. Still nothing.

toilet!

They are under stress I think. Check your parameters. And like lawnman said he's a gonner. He's probably starting rigor mortis, touch him again.

LoL touch him again :lol:

Okay. I'll send him to poopy hell. I've done a very recent water change and parameters are excellent. Thanks everyone.

BTW - when you say "he's a gonner" - Please tell me you are only referring to the smaller part???

Your welcome. I'd like to say only the smaller part is goner but the big one is acting funny also. Don't flush him yet but keep a close eye on him.

Sorry about losses so far

Sorry to hear what happened. I really like those cute little yellow sea cucumbers....I think they need to be acclimated very slowly and fed very often. Don't give up though....they are a wacky bunch, cukes.

Archived