SaltCritters.com

Will Bean Animal style overflow work with two standipipes

dudedudedude

I am going to drill a BC 29. I was thinking about doing the Bean Animal style standpipes but do not want to run the third overflow protection standpipe. My thinking is that for a small aquarium the 2nd stand pipe is more than enough to take in extra volume if needed and the third standpipe would be redundant. Any thoughts would be appreciated

For reference this is Bean Animal's design:

http://www.beananimal.com/projects/silent-and-fail-safe-aquarium-overflow-system.aspx

That's a Herbie setup and is what I run. I've never had a problem, but I also calculated the difference b/w running volume of my aquarium and the volume to overflow and sized my return chamber so that no matter what, my pump will run dry without overflowing. Ex. My aquarium has 1.5 gallons of extra capacity and my return runs with .75g. So my ATO has to pump in another .75g before overflow and my ATO holds 2.5g so the most I could spill is 1.75g and that's worst case

Just as everyone has said, it's just a herbie, which is just a bean animal without the secondary, so it'll be a full siphon and an emergency. I know some people run a herbie with the full siphon at like 90-95% then the other catches the other 5-10%. I also ran my herbie with the siphon at 100% and used the other strictly as an emergency.

Just as everyone has said, it's just a herbie, which is just a bean animal without the secondary, so it'll be a full siphon and an emergency. I know some people run a herbie with the full siphon at like 90-95% then the other catches the other 5-10%. I also ran my herbie with the siphon at 100% and used the other strictly as an emergency.

Do you have noise issues with running yours at 100%?

Not at all, only thing you really have to do it make sure you can adjust the outflow of your return, oversize your return pump because a siphon pulls much more water than gravity will. And you'll want to be able to adjust the return pump to match the siphon, otherwise the siphon will siphon faster than the water going into the overflow or, too much water for the siphon. It takes a bit to tune the return to the siphon but it's worth it.

Archived