Innovative Marine Aquariums

Real world benefits of adding Di resin to your tank?

KindDude505

Hey guys,

I got an AMAZING deal on a complete JBJ Nano Cube 24dx setup! It's kind of an obsolete tank but then again, the newer Nano tanks don't really bring anything new other then LEDS to the table. I LOVE the way the stand looks and I got a freaking steal.Had to drive 650 miles round trip to pick it up though...lol.

I have an Aqua C remora that fits perfectly on the back of the tank with the lid off but I wanna run the stock compact floros for at least a year. So......I wanna run a refug with cheato and leds in the middle chamber and plenty of non overpriced, non arbitrary(lol). chemical media in the first chamber.

Anayway,

Does anyone here run DI resin in a reactor or in a bag in the system? It seems like this is the magical ingredient in Chemi pure with all their PH claims etc.

Thanks and happy to be here.

It will not work. DI resin depends on a RO membrane to provide ultrapure water so it can remove the remaining TDS in the water.

One full pound or 16 oz of new, fresh DI resin has the capablity to treat around 3000 to 6000 total TDS before it is 100% exhausted. New saltwater has a TDS somewhere over 32,000 TDS! Your DI resin would be totally useless in less than 1 minute.

DI is not what you need, it is to purify water which is no twhat you want to do with your reef, you need the sodium, magnesium, potassium etc in the water so removing it is counterproductive.

The resins in Chemipure and other products are not DI resin just as water softener resin is not DI resin, there are literally thousands of resins for different purposes.

Az - Thanks brother. I figured this would be the case. I also know from expereicne that DI seems to perform it's duty better and last longer when it's packed tighter.

I'm just gonna run a mini reactor with high quality carbon, some gfo and maybe some purigen for the funk of it in my new Nano tank.

Thanks again

Archived