Innovative Marine Aquariums

Recommend a fun invert for my Picotope (not reef-safe okay)

Partially Submerged

Partially Submerged

I set up a small Picotope at work, and I like to add a small pico-suitable invert. Here are the conditions:

• Must be happy in a 3g tank (no fish, and I mean no fish, not even a goby)
  • Must not be a sexy shrimp
  • Must not be a porcelain anemone crab
  • Must not cause my coworkers nightmares, be messy, or otherwise unsuitable for an office tank

Now for the fun part, the invert does not have to be reef-safe. It shouldn't eat corals by the bucket, but the only corals will be xenia, GSP, and maybe a leather coral. The tank has three individual pieces of live rock with some sandbed running space, so I though maybe an emerald crab would be fun. But I hear they can be quite shy. Any other suggestions? Something colorful and unusual would be fun, but might also just do 2-3 peppermint shrimp.

my favorite invert that I had in my pico when it was running was my pom pom crab. they are a little shy but in a 3 gallon pico you really do see it more often then if it was a larger tank. My current favorite invert would have to be my harlequin shrimp. Only thing with a harlequin is you have to be able to provide starfish for it to eat. I am lucky and get asterina star fish from local reefers and my lfs for him to eat.

the emerald crab will only really come out at feeding time i think. otherwise you'll see it in the shadows. maybe try some camel shrimp because most people wouldn't keep them. Also maybe some coral banded shrimp. two gold ones or one normal one. could look cool if you build a cave for it to hang out in. you'll see two big claws coming out of the cave. i think that could be a cool attraction to the pico.

Partially Submerged

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

the emerald crab will only really come out at feeding time i think. otherwise you'll see it in the shadows. maybe try some camel shrimp because most people wouldn't keep them. Also maybe some coral banded shrimp. two gold ones or one normal one. could look cool if you build a cave for it to hang out in. you'll see two big claws coming out of the cave. i think that could be a cool attraction to the pico.

I'd love to get a golden banded coral shrimp, the problem is that I've had a devil of a time finding one. If I could get one, that would probably be my first choice. I'd also go with a regular one since there is nothing in the tank it could harass, but I don't have any larger tanks I could move it to when it grows too large for the pico.

Sexy Shrimp ;) - err I mean Pistol shrimp and its partner a goby?

I'm sorry. I must have not been clear when I said "not even a tiny goby." ;)

Are there any non-crab, non-shrimp critters that are worth looking into? Slugs, sea cucumbers, starfish, etc.? I've never dealt with any of those, so I am not sure if there is anything pico-friendly out there.

You generally don't see sea slugs and the like since most are delicate as well as capable of crashing a tank when they die due to their toxins, but since your tank doesn't seem to have much to kill... makes me wonder ;)

In which case I'd maybe recommend a yellow sea cucumber? I think they stay small, though require a mature tank. But if you're up to the challenge; http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=497+502+715&pcatid=715

Of course I don't want the animal to die, but I think it's worth mentioning that the repercussions should it die in your tank would at the very least, be minimal!

Slugs and nudis don't have good track records in captivity as they have very specific dietary needs. Cucumber are detrivores, so probably wouldn't have much to feed on in a pico. Same with starfish/brittlestars, they might not have enough detritus or algae to eat.

A crustacean of some sort probably will be your best bet. I don't know if there is a lobster that would be small enough for a pico. If you wouldn't mind needing to constantly provide starfish you could go for a harlequin shrimp. Otherwise there are some very small types of mantis shrimp.

I'm sorry. I must have not been clear when I said "not even a tiny goby." ;)

Are there any non-crab, non-shrimp critters that are worth looking into? Slugs, sea cucumbers, starfish, etc.? I've never dealt with any of those, so I am not sure if there is anything pico-friendly out there.

Oh crud, I missed the tiny goby bit... it was a tiny goby text ;) Look for a little mantis. I had one that was bright green like the Like button.

Archived