Pod Your Reef

Adding Supplementary LED's

CCXGT

I've sat down with my Dad's mate who is an electrician.

He's pointed me in the right direction and told me what to go with.

I'm much more confident now.

That's a dangerous statement if ever I saw one. Not questioning your dad's mate's knowledge, but this is a little different than house wiring (when I hear electrician, I think commercial, residential or industrial electrician, meaning dealing with 110v/220v/480v AC). I'm sure we would all like to hear what advice you were given at this point to make sure that you are going in the right direction.

That's a dangerous statement if ever I saw one. Not questioning your dad's mate's knowledge, but this is a little different than house wiring (when I hear electrician, I think commercial, residential or industrial electrician, meaning dealing with 110v/220v/480v AC). I'm sure we would all like to hear what advice you were given at this point to make sure that you are going in the right direction.

Nothing much, he just made sure I had the right AC/DC adapter, right voltage on the driver.. Ect..

• 2 weeks later...

Update for anyone interested:

My order came today, I'm pretty happy with the result so far. My only issue is the connectors, they are a lot longer than I had previously thought, so I'm gonna get L-connectors instead to keep the end product looking a lil less crappy.

A8189ADE-A8AF-4220-A91B-F20C79C72826_zps

Tough to tell from the picture, but are those sealed at all? If not, I wouldn't even bother with them. They will be dead in a matter of months.

Tough to tell from the picture, but are those sealed at all? If not, I wouldn't even bother with them. They will be dead in a matter of months.

Yes, everything is either siliconed or epoxied in.

I would suggest going to the automotive store and picking up some dielectric grease. It's a silicone insulating grease used in automotive connectors to prevent the contacts from corroding. Just apply a little to the connector before plugging it in to help protect it from the salty humid air around the tank.

I would suggest going to the automotive store and picking up some dielectric grease. It's a silicone insulating grease used in automotive connectors to prevent the contacts from corroding. Just apply a little to the connector before plugging it in to help protect it from the salty humid air around the tank.

By connectors do you mean the pieces that link the LED's?

The grease doesn't add resistance to the circuit. All it's there for is to protect the metal contacts from the elements. Just put a blob inside the connector and mate the two parts together.

The grease doesn't add resistance to the circuit. All it's there for is to protect the metal contacts from the elements. Just put a blob inside the connector and mate the two parts together.

Righto, I'll trust you with this.

Archived