ReefCleaners.org

Flatworms

nemonlizzy

So I did my research before frantically posting.

I have Flatworms. Some are all green, some are greenish reddish. They are in different parts of the tank, but my pico is primarily zoas. This is my worry.

I don't see any zoas receding yet, they are all out and happy. I am worried about the future though. Has anyone experienced flatworms that become a problem later on?

I can upload a picture if that would help in anyone telling me whether I should be worried or not.

Flatworms very quickly multiply. I'm just resetting up my tank after I tore it down due to having a plague of them. They may not bother the zoas much right now but they will cover every inch of rock overnight if you do not get them under control. I dipped every piece of rock and coral before I put it into the temp tank i had set up. The amount I had would have killed everything if I had used Flatworm exit in the tank with everything still in it.

If you have few you can try using Flatworm eXit but be ready to do a water change they release alot of ammonia when they die.

Interesting, I have not done anything about it for now and they seem to be somewhat under control. I have read they release a ton of ammonia when they die off so I'm thinking about suctioning them off for now. See how well that works. They still aren't bothering the zoas.

Also, something to keep in mind is that some flatworms are not dangerous to your reef at all. Alot of the ones that are, just cover almost everything but I have some that just chill on the glass and never on coral. They seem to eat film algae and other than the initial population explosion of new critters in a tank, I barely see any these days.

A pic would help out I'm sure. I've never seen green ones but the most common bad flatworms (in reef tanks) are usually the rust colored variety.

There are fish and nudiebranch that can help in flatworm control. However, results very and I am not sure your tank could support such an option.

Like cdxanti said, they aren't a big deal till they run over the tank. Eradicating the problem now is wiser then waiting for plague you can't handle without some drastic measures.

Melanurus, yellow, six-line are good candidates. If it is a Pico tank, I wouldn't use first 2 or even six-line. Springeri Damsel also eats those pesky worms. That's what I got. I didn't really planed on getting another fish (don't want to overstock) but due to some hitchhiker worms that came on larger colony, I had little choice. With 2 smaller gobies and 16g of real estate, this should be ok for a while tho. Good news, don't see any flatworms anymore.

What's your tank size? A 6 line would solve it and is an awesome fish to boot.

I've also seen outbreaks just up and stop eventually - may be something nutrient related?

i have flatworms, always on the glass, some rocks. never really an issue. i mean i dont love them but they arent killin anything yet...

Archived