Cultivated Reef

adding nassarius snails before fish

catzo

My 10gal is a month old, cycled, theres 2 astrea and 1 cerith snails in there right now.

This week i was going to get 4 nassarius snails (my lfs sells them by the 4), and maybe a hermit or 2.

Since they feed on uneaten food, should i wait until theres a fish in there to add the nassarius snails?

I was told when I started my tank to go ahead with the clean up crew, I think I sprinkled a couple granules of food in there...tank was cycled in no time. The clown came later.

My tank is a year old already and thriving!

I do think you're better off getting the algae-eating snails first, once you're far enough along in the cycle that diatoms have started to grow. Then get (and probably quarantine, right?) your fish, then go for the meat-eating snails. Nassarius can and will go after pods and other tiny organisms in the absence of meaty foods.

Your tank is cycled. I do not think adding a nassirus snail in there is a bad idea. I would do it at the same time as adding fish or something else that is going to be adding more stuff to eat in the sand.

I like having my sand stirred by snails. I have a lot of sand stirring animals in each of my tanks.

Archived