Pod Your Reef

New Clowns Spitting Food

Kayman

I picked up my first two fish for my tank the other day (3 days ago) and they have been very active, swimming in the current and having lots of fun time it seems. They are both about a 1/2 an inch, so teeny tiny little guys. The LFS said they love NLS Thera-A pellets but they are 1mm and seem to be too big for them. They have tried to eat them but end up spitting them out mostly or not showing interest. I also picked up frozen mysis and they are spitting that as well. I went out and picked up frozen brine shrimp and Omega One Marine Micro Pellets with garlic but again they just spit out both of these.

Anyone have any ideas or tips on how to get them to eat or is it that they just need more time to familiarize themselves with the food and their new home?

Picture of them trying to eat the Thera-A :lol:

post-86425-0-90640600-1422754206_thumb.jpg

It took my baby baby clownfish three weeks almost a month to eat because all the food was too big for him to swallow including the micro pellets just thug it out or you can try and crush the pellets into powder if it doesn't fit in their mouth they cannot swallow it try crushing it up into smaller granules

Wow okay good to know they should last that long with just a tad bit of eating. I have tried crushing the pellets and mixing it in a little bit of tank water and with a bit of mysis and then used a turkey baster to feed the mixture to them. They seem to eat some of the smallest bits but avoid anything of any size. I'm just really surprised they spit the frozen shrimp.

Yeah the frozen shrimp may have been a tad bit frozen which is what I found out. With mine. Yeah I then crushed it up in my ninja prep and kept it in fridge with crushed pellet and coral frenzy and it eats and trust me the clownfish was in my fuge area for a minimum of 3 weeks because it was so small I'd isn't want the shrimp to get to it so keep crushing the small pieces

12_egg_Omelette

Yeah it took mine about a week to start eating. The clown fish would spit it and the royal gramma would grab it. So the clown would swim away with it trying to nibble it as the gramma tried to steal it.

Archived