Coral Vue Hydros

Removing particulate- Help

LilCope

Im having trouble controlling particulates (globs of cyano covering my sandbed, loose algae i baster off, which all gets shredded in the powerhead ending up all over) in my 30gal tank. this tank does not have a sump or a mechanical filter ( cant since water level is too far low/ no room).

The ways i have dealt with this are the following: water changes and brine shrimp net near powerhead collecting particulates to be dumped out.

Any other methods/ ideas would be appreciated.

I would advise trying to figure out a way to work some mechanical filtration in there - that's really the only option besides netting it out like you are.

Im having trouble controlling particulates (globs of cyano covering my sandbed, loose algae i baster off, which all gets shredded in the powerhead ending up all over) in my 30gal tank. this tank does not have a sump or a mechanical filter ( cant since water level is too far low/ no room).

The ways i have dealt with this are the following: water changes and brine shrimp net near powerhead collecting particulates to be dumped out.

Any other methods/ ideas would be appreciated.

what do you mean by the part I bolded?

you can't put a HOB filter on? I would unerstand not wanting it on all the time, but you could certainly get one and only run it when you want to clean/polish the water column.

the tank is a half moon. with the skimmer, ato and phosban, theres no room. However, it looks like im going to take some items offline for a while and get a mechanical filter on. now to find one :D

the tank is a half moon. with the skimmer, ato and phosban, theres no room. However, it looks like im going to take some items offline for a while and get a mechanical filter on. now to find one :D

you could always use a canister filter, that would only take a couple inches..

2 options

1. Make a foam guard for the power heads like Ecotech offers. The gunk will stick to it, take off, rinse.

2. Use temporary filtration. A HOB like and AC70 filled with filter floss, or use a canister filter. If intake and return are underwater, the height shouldn't be much of an issue bc it is acting like a closed loop and the column of water in the intake will pressurize the canister

I sometimes use a filter sock over my return nozzle while I am cleaning and changing water. I'll leave it on for an hour or two afterward to capture any stirred up gunk.

Archived