Top Shelf Aquatics

Xris' Nuvo Fusion 20 - Back after a few years off! (new livestock 2-25-15)

GokesReef

Hey all - did you miss me? Well don't worry. I'm back!

To keep the intro brief, my old 20H ended up crashing a few months after I moved into my new place and I didn't have the time or motivation to get it back up and running. The bug bit me again though and here is where I shall chronicle my adventures.

Using the lessons I learned from my first few years in the hobby to hopefully keep things going as best as they can this time. Tank is a Nuvo Fusion 20 and I have a 10g QT established. All coral is getting dips and a 30 day QT before going near the display.

CURRENT FTS (2018):

fO41JIp.jpg

EQUIPMENT LIST:

Tanks: Innovative Marine Nuvo Fusion 20

Light: ReefBreeders SuperLuxe

Etc:

100W Jager Heater

2x inTank Media Basket

Spin Stream return nozzle

LIVESTOCK:

-Coming soon-

Alright so I'm waiting for UPS to deliver the tank today and I figured it would be a good time to get this thread put up! To keep it short and sweet, here are the orders that I'm waiting on - the good Doctors should be delivering my salt and sand on Tuesday, so this weekend will be dedicated to getting everything arranged and ready to get wet!

AquaCave (being delivered today):

Aquacave.jpg

inTank:

inTank.jpg

DrsFosterSmith:

Drs.jpg

Right now the 10g QT is setup and cycled with the SuperLuxe over it. Once the DT is up, the SuperLuxe is getting moved and my old AquaticLife 4x24 T5 fixture will go in its place. Still deciding on what else to do for water movement in the DT. I'm going to see how the Fusion's returns are with the Spin Streams and take it from there.

Yeah with the back chamber to hide the heater, I'm not too concerned about the aesthetics and I generally go large on heaters under the idea that they have to work less and should last longer. There will be a small ~50W in there eventually as well to serve as a backup.

AquaCave order was delivered today and I picked up the stand I will be using. It's meant for a 29/34g, so there will be some overhang on each side. This will be nice for setting tools and the like. Time to get to work unpacking and putting things together. Going to assemble the stand and water test the tank, need to wait for sand, salt, and the inTank order before getting it all going. Also going to play with the rock a bit; I still have a bit curing from my old setup that will be used once it's ready - wish me luck!

Also stopped by the LFS and ended up picking up a few frags and snails since the QT is cycled - Atomic Space Monster pallys, Valentine's Day massace zoas, and an awesome purple/blue acan rotund with green/orange edges that I've forgotten the name of. Once I figure out how to get decent pictures under LEDs with this camera, I'll post them up. Dipped them in Bayer and they're all open and looking great!

Welcome back! Nice shopping list!

Thanks!

Got the stand assembled (mostly) last night.. started planning out the scape now. Here's what I've got and I'm pretty happy with it! The rock on the left is from my old tank and will be primairally a zoa/pally garden.

The right stack is reef saver dry rock - goal there was so have different levels (low/mid/high) and I think it played out nicely. The top area has a nice open feel for SPS to grow out and there is a lot of surface area on the lower levels for encrusting LPS. The other goal was to keep a good amount of substrate open for plates and the like. What do you think?

20150131_162943.jpg

20150131_162931.jpg

reefernanoman

Thanks!

Got the stand assembled (mostly) last night.. started planning out the scape now. Here's what I've got and I'm pretty happy with it! The rock on the left is from my old tank and will be primairally a zoa/pally garden.

The right stack is reef saver dry rock - goal there was so have different levels (low/mid/high) and I think it played out nicely. The top area has a nice open feel for SPS to grow out and there is a lot of surface area on the lower levels for encrusting LPS. The other goal was to keep a good amount of substrate open for plates and the like. What do you think?

20150131_162943.jpg

20150131_162931.jpg

Looks good to me!

Alright - it's all up and running! Had an action packed night last night after water testing the tank getting everything dry and assembled. The dust is still settling this morning, but some pics will be along shortly.

I've got to say I'm thoroughly impressed with the nuvo fusion 20! Seems to be solid construction, no issues with the mat not being cut nicely, the rear chambers seem excellent and the stock pump is silent.

Alright - it's all up and running! Had an action packed night last night after water testing the tank getting everything dry and assembled. The dust is still settling this morning, but some pics will be along shortly.

I've got to say I'm thoroughly impressed with the nuvo fusion 20! Seems to be solid construction, no issues with the mat not being cut nicely, the rear chambers seem excellent and the stock pump is silent.

Wow, that was fast. Get some pics up when you can! I remember when we both had 20h a few years ago.

Wow, that was fast. Get some pics up when you can! I remember when we both had 20h a few years ago.

Me too! I'll never forget your sig haha - I was really wanting to go big this time, but easing back in with the 20 was definitely the ticket with potential to upgrade down the line.

It was definitely a bit of a scramble last night getting it all up even though I (thought I) had it all planned and ready to execute. The biggest hold up was realizing that I had ordered standard IO instead of Reef Crystals so I had to make an emergency overpriced run to Petsmart.

Other than that by around 2 am, I was watching a cloudy tank swirl and feeling good about it lol also got the old T5s set up on the QT. Heading on lunch shortly so I should get to put a few up. Mostly unboxing and equipment shots until it clears up.

One unfortunate note is one of the Spin Streams is defective and produces a ticking noise. I think I'll run with 1 Spin Stream and 1 stock (directional) return then add another PH since the stock pump is only 211 GPH.

And your 40 is looking awesome now! I love the growth shots in your thread - nice colonies now :)

Hoping to get one of these up and running in the spring.

I like your scape!

Thanks! Made a few very minor adjustments to reveal the bottom layer a bit more and accommodate the actual tank dimensions (apparently my sharpie outline wasn't perfect!) - it looks great in the tank, but is kind of blocking one of the return outlets. Once the tank clears up I'll see how it checks out.

And I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this tank in a heartbeat - now that IM got away from the apparently cursed curved glass tanks, they're doing great! This thing looks super clean and like I said, the rear chambers are excellent IMO. Also I was a bit nervous about the black silicon being used, but it makes a nice framing effect that I actually really like!

Alright here's a handful of uncropped, unedited pics - for your viewing pleasure!

Dry rock all epoxied up:

IMG_1130.jpg

Checking the fit:

IMG_1137.jpg

Inside the cabinet - top bar for light, heater, anything that needs to stay on. Bottom bar for pumps, easy turn off for feeding:

IMG_1148.jpg

Guts & water:

IMG_1147.jpg

Testing the light - no glare on the TV :happydance:

IMG_1149.jpg

Darude:

IMG_1150.jpg

Not sure where the water level will finish yet, but it will be higher than it is now - It's clearing up nicely, I'll get a pic of the finished scape tonight hopefully.

Nice stand! Where'd you get that?

Thanks! Spent too long stand hunting and ended up going with that one from...... petsmart. http://www.petsmart.com/supplies/aquarium-stands/top-fin-ready-to-assemble-aquarium-stand-zid36-17809/cat-36-catid-300066?var_id=36-17809&_t=pfm%3Dsearch

Assembly was easy enough and the overall fit and finish is pretty good. I'd give it a 7/10 if you're inspecting it up close, but can't beat it for the price! The individually adjustable shelves are handy :) and I like having the space on the sides to set stuff when I'm working in the tank.

I didn't take the extra depth of the Fusion into account, so a bit hangs off the back of the stand, but not much to do about that with these dimensions.

More pics! I finished the aquascape for now, but stirred up a bit of dust again - so that will have to wait until tomorrow, but I did pick up some coral in the mean time that are hanging out in the QT. Check em out!

Hydnophora - LFS lost a decent colony, but had some spots of growth. Grabbed a tiny one to salvage - I had one in the old tank and thoroughly enjoyed it!

hydnophora.png

Atomic Space Monster pallys, Valentine's Day massace zoas

zoa-and-pally.png

Orange Crush acanthastrea echinata - this is a gorgeous purple with a green rim and orange hints throughout. Need to pick up a good camera.

orange-crush-acanthastreaechinata.png

Hollywood Stunner chalice

stunner-chalice.png\

Awesome Monti Cap - green with blue polyps and a purple rim. Pretty unique as far as monti caps go :)

monti.png

All got the bayer dip and are looking great - a few weeks in the QT and then I get to try to decide where they go!

The sand has finally (mostly) settled from my last arrangement - hopefully will be able to grab a pic of the scape in the water today. I've started to plot coral placement and am quickly remembering how small a 20g tank feels!

Great looking setup so far. I really like those coral selections, I like the chalice a lot. Just curious as to what settings you are running that light at?

Great looking setup so far. I really like those coral selections, I like the chalice a lot. Just curious as to what settings you are running that light at?

Thanks :) I'm trying to be a little more picky about the coral this time around. I love the chalice too, though I can't stop changing my mind about where to place it to give it good room to grow without having to worry about its sweepers.

Those pics of the coral are under my Aquaticlife 4x24 T5 with tired bulbs. The SuperLuxe on the DT is set to 30% blue and 15% white in those shots.

The chalicesi had, had some sweepers you wouldn't believe! Love the tank

Thanks! And yeah they haven't come out too far yet (and never were in the LFS tank any time I've seen it) but I'll be keeping my eyes on it.

Also, I think the monti cap I picked up there is a Tyree flower petal - the only thing I can find that looks like it, and it looks just like it :) now I know what it'll look like grown out - very nice!

Finally got a pic of the scape! I was able to stick to the model almost exactly, but I pushed it all back a bit to open up some more sand real-estate in the front for fungia, acans, etc

I also got the top rock(s) up a bit higher to expose more of the lower level for mounting and to create some great shaded areas (cyphastrea, sun corals, etc) and the peak area will be great to grow an SPS forest.

The island rock that goes on the left is still curing (though the last 2 buckets of water have smelled nice, so any day now) - that will be a zoa/pally island.

Anyway - check it out! The glass wasn't cleaned perfectly for this pic, but let me know what you think of the layout!

IMG_1163.png

Looks nice! Don't forget to look at it top-down to double check there aren't too many shaded areas. That was my mistake on my (first) tank!

Thanks! Yeah I made some adjustments from the dry layout to what you see there to expose more of the bottom rocks - now the shaded areas are on either side then under the little arch. I already have some ideas for low light coral that will do great in there :D

Archived