SaltCritters.com

algae and cuc question

nladd

So i asked a similar question about a week ago and got mixed replies. I am currently in my 3rd week of cycle and have absolutely no algae growth. I've read that its normal to get growth at about 2 weeks in, I added bio spira when i first started don't know if that's a good or bad thing or if that would affect growth in anyway. I've also been ghost feeding for about a week now I'm asking these questions mainly because I'm ready to get some life in there of some sort but don't want to add a CUC without anything for them to eat. Don't know if water parameters wold affect anything but as of my last test results were as followed

Ammonia-0

Nitrites-0

nitrates-5ppm

these were off of an api test kit so i have no idea how close those numbers actually are but i have red sea marine care and reef essentials kits coming tomorrow so i'll retest then, but for now any ideas on the next step or keep waiting it out?

So i asked a similar question about a week ago and got mixed replies. I am currently in my 3rd week of cycle and have absolutely no algae growth. I've read that its normal to get growth at about 2 weeks in, I added bio spira when i first started don't know if that's a good or bad thing or if that would affect growth in anyway. I've also been ghost feeding for about a week now I'm asking these questions mainly because I'm ready to get some life in there of some sort but don't want to add a CUC without anything for them to eat. Don't know if water parameters wold affect anything but as of my last test results were as followed

Ammonia-0

Nitrites-0

nitrates-5ppm

these were off of an api test kit so i have no idea how close those numbers actually are but i have red sea marine care and reef essentials kits coming tomorrow so i'll retest then, but for now any ideas on the next step or keep waiting it out?

Hi!

Welcome to the forum! :grouphug:

First of all, did you start with live rock or dry rock?

Do you have any substrate?

If yes, was it "live" sand or dry sand?

The nitrogen cycle is characterized by water parameters, not algae growth. Algae growth is usually only the negative side effect of the nitrogen cycle when there is enough ambient light around the tank for them to grow. Ammonia and nitrogen are actually used as plant fertilizers in agriculture and gardening, but the plants also need a light source for them to do their photosynthesis.

Conclusion: tank cycle + light = algae, tank cycle + no/not enough light = no algae ;)

Please, post the result from your new test kits, since like you said API test kits are not the most accurate in this world :happy: The Red Sea test kits looks amazing :wub:

Right now I have 20lbs of dry aragonite and 20lbs of BRS reef saver dry rock

Generally, when starting with dry rock you have to wait some time extra, but three weeks in something should have happened. Especially since you have been introducing ammonia, in the form of shrimp, to the tank for a week now without any ammonia or nitrite reading. To me it seems your tank has been through the cycle. The fact that you have 5ppm nitrate also indicates that some organic matter has been broken down = nitrifying bacteria is present in your LR and LS :)

Did you test the water more times, or just this one time one week after introducing the shrimp?

Will be interesting to see what the Red Sea test kits say. If they give you more or less the same readings, I see no reason for why you can not introduce some CUC and soft corals :)

By the way, respect for not cycling your tank with a damsel! :flower: Way to many saltwater aquarists still practice this method, yet it is animal cruelty.

I've been testing about every other day and have gotten for the most part the same results. It will be interesting to see the differences with the Red Sea test kit. I also thought about adding a damsel or chromis during cycle but read all the negatives about it which turned me away from it

I never had any kind've growth until about 1.5 months in.

Massive diatom bloom, green calcareous slimy crap everywhere, hair algae poking about..

Then it just vanished overnight.... Strange how things happen that way..

I never had any kind've growth until about 1.5 months in.

Massive diatom bloom, green calcareous slimy crap everywhere, hair algae poking about..

Then it just vanished overnight.... Strange how things happen that way..

Like Borat: "I ####ed my mother... *3 min later*... NAAT!" :lol:

been a busy few days but got my new test results gathered up.

ph- right around 7.8-8

kh- 6dkh

nitrates- 5ppm

nitrites- 0 ppm

ammonia- 0

cal.- 430 ppm

mag.- 1380 ppm

Tested the water again tonight and results are the same so I must get someone's expert opinion. Is my tank ready for hardy fish like a blue chromis and if so should I get one or a pair starting out? Should I do a water change first?

Added a blue chromis and a peppermint shrimp today both looked very active at the LFS and while acclimating chromis is still trying to gather it's bravery and get clear if the rock in the DT but is moving around nicely, was also told that the shrimp also has eggs so hopefully it can get them in a nice deep spot in the rocks away from the chromis

Archived