Pod Your Reef

Spec V Mods

nb607

I recently was given a Fluval Spec V as a gift and decided to turn it into a nano reef. This will be my first nano, though I have kept a 100g reef successfully for the past two years. I've been doing some research on the best mods to make to the tank, one of which seems to be the return pump. Everyone has recommended the mini jet 606 pump, which I'm having some trouble finding. Most places that had it in the past are now sold out or have discontinued the pump. Is there any other pump that would be similar in size that would fit into the small chamber that the stock pump fits in? Should I just supplement the flow with a small wave maker/powerhead instead? I have ordered the filter basket from inTank to replace the stock filter sponge, but by the time I went to order the pump, it was already sold out of all of the places I had found it before. Any advice or help is much appreciated!

Marineland discontinued the 606 pump. Too bad because they were a great little pump - I used two of them in my Spec V and am running them in my 6 gallon now. After a quick Google search the only place I found them was eBay and they were $50 with shipping. :angry:

Unfortunately I don't have a recommendation for you on a replacement, but maybe someone else can chime in.

Thanks for the quick reply! I found the one on eBay earlier, but $50 is a little steep for such a small pump. I was thinking about just keeping the stock pump and supplementing flow with a koralia or another small powerhead. Any recommendations on power heads that would be good alternatives to the koralias that won't break the bank? I'm looking to keep softies at first and some LPS later on down the road. I don't plan on doing SPS, but then again I didn't plan on the 100g I have becoming a reef either, haha.

Archived