Innovative Marine Aquariums

Ecotech Vortech Discussion / Feedback

StrainedSky

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good move.

MP5 product request. Price should be in the 100-125 range.

(Perhaps link to the other thread as there is some useful feedback in there).

Good move.

MP5 product request. Price should be in the 100-125 range.

(Perhaps link to the other thread as there is some useful feedback in there).

for what? I'd use an mp10 on as small as an 8-10g tank, anything smaller is too niche for that much product development. I had one mp10 on my old 15g mixed reef that I ran at over 60-65%..

for what? I'd use an mp10 on as small as an 8-10g tank, anything smaller is too niche for that much product development. I had one mp10 on my old 15g mixed reef that I ran at over 60-65%..

I think there is a price point being missed which can be capitalized on.

I am after all part of the "market", and this is my ask.

jedimasterben

I think there is a price point being missed which can be capitalized on. I am after all part of the "market", and this is my ask.

The issue is the price point. Something smaller can certainly be developed, but it wont be that much cheaper. The design is just expensive.

The issue is the price point. Something smaller can certainly be developed, but it wont be that much cheaper. The design is just expensive.

Totally agree. I have yet to understand why the mp10 is $200+ just because the wire/motor goes on the outside of the glass? I'll stick with my $55 rw-4 all day long.

Totally agree. I have yet to understand why the mp10 is $200+ just because the wire/motor goes on the outside of the glass? I'll stick with my $55 rw-4 all day long.

YES! The all powerful Jebao shall reign supreme.

Looks like the MP40 price drop wasn't because of fear of competition after all ? :happy:

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/01/29/quiet-drive-pump-technology-ecotech-marine-expected-included-vortech-pumps/

"fear of competition" is what keeps companies competitive and innovative. competition is a good thing, being "afraid" of your competition is very motivating ;)

if there were no other pumps competing with the MP line of pumps, why would they ever improve upon them?

"fear of competition" is what keeps companies competitive and innovative. competition is a good thing, being "afraid" of your competition is very motivating ;)

if there were no other pumps competing with the MP line of pumps, why would they ever improve upon them?

I totally agree, competition is great, look at the big three chasing T-mobile :D

reefernanoman

I totally agree, competition is great, look at the big three chasing T-mobile :D

T-mobile? Good luck with that once you leave a big city after a few miles. Even just outside the city, coverage is 0%(not even phone calls).

T-mobile? Good luck with that once you leave a big city after a few miles. Even just outside the city, coverage is 0%(not even phone calls).

Not saying that their service is great, just every time they announce a new program all big 3 follow suit. I use At&t personally but was making an example of what competition does for everyone.

reefernanoman

Not saying that their service is great, just every time they announce a new program all big 3 follow suit. I use At&t personally but was making an example of what competition does for everyone.

I totally agree. I didn't mean to sound like a snob either. Competition is always good for the customer.

Yeah, I know a ton of people who have recently switched to Jebao or cheaper alternatives. While I do love the Vortech products I've had in the past, my Jebao WP-10 is running just as efficiently and much quieter than my MP-10 did. I am having great results with this pump, although I do wish the settings were more adjustable!

I have an RW4 and while it's given me some trouble I really don't care because it didn't cost me much.

If I had an MP10 I would be agry if it was overly noisey or if parts broke.

That being said I would feel ok paying 150(non wireless)-200(wireless) for a MP10, 235-285 is just way too much.

While I do love the Vortech products I've had in the past, my Jebao WP-10 is running just as efficiently and much quieter than my MP-10 did. I am having great results with this pump, although I do wish the settings were more adjustable!

The MP10 and a WP10 aren't even in the same universe when it comes to performance.

So there was a comment to me in the other thread about Vortech being responsive and in USA. Good luck with that and Jebao.

Well this one sentence jumped out at me from the article linked above:

"If you thought talking to Ecotech Marine might prove helpful you would be in for a surprise. When reaching out to them for comment on the article we received no reply to our requests for comment."

Not sure how much of this is 'press spin', as most don't reply to media inquiries, but that is usually when the inquiry is towards some type of legal issue or negative press.

A simple product update, or product roadmap would have sufficed and I now have concern for the longevity of the company. Did they take their cash and run from the highly profitable MP line? Is the innovativeness gone? Is competition looming? I sure hope so...

The inquiry was about the specifics of the quiet drive patent. Ecotech copies Apple in the marketing style. Meaning, say nothing about new product until ALL eyes are on us. So of course they would respond to RB's inquiry. Don't worry about the longevity of ecotech, they have plenty in their bag of tricks. They did the same thing before announcing the gen 3 radions.

jedimasterben

In my post you quoted I said it is because of the way it is designed, with the motor on the outside it is very difficult to keep everything balanced and within tolerance. A sub-$200 price tag will be difficult to keep not only a worthwhile profit for Ecotech, but also for retailers.

Looks like the MP40 price drop wasn't because of fear of competition after all ? :happy:

http://reefbuilders.com/2015/01/29/quiet-drive-pump-technology-ecotech-marine-expected-included-vortech-pumps/

Even at their current lower price, there's gonna have to be more to it than 'quietdrive', whatever that turns out to be. If it is simply a 'quieter' motor (which, by the way, there isn't an issue with motor noise, it is 100% because of the use of shitty bearings and the pumps having no cooling), then it's still gonna be a hard sell, especially to those that have already invested in the Ecotech ecosystem.

The MP10 and a WP10 aren't even in the same universe when it comes to performance.

I've had both and for me, I think they're pretty similar. Especially in a small tank. WP-10 gives me more power, MP-10 gives me widespread flow but it's not strong imo. I keep a WP-10 in my 10 Fusion and I have 0 dead spots, and my corals look amazing. Like I said though, MP-10 have better programming options, but the power is the same for me. The MP-10 is more pleasing to the eye though, which is big for me but I'm not paying an extra $150+ for 1-2" of plastic.

I've had both and for me, I think they're pretty similar. Especially in a small tank. WP-10 gives me more power, MP-10 gives me widespread flow but it's not strong imo. I keep a WP-10 in my 10 Fusion and I have 0 dead spots, and my corals look amazing. Like I said though, MP-10 have better programming options, but the power is the same for me. The MP-10 is more pleasing to the eye though, which is big for me but I'm not paying an extra $150+ for 1-2" of plastic.

I own both as well, and the WP25. I'm sorry man but there is just no way a WP10 is more powerful than a MP10. It has a tighter flow yes but it's weak when you're trying to move any kind of volume. Sure it works in a smaller tank and I'm not saying it can't be the pump that works for someone but it's not as powerful. The WP25 on the other hand has massive amounts of flow but the flow pattern isn't wide enough to be usable for me.

I own both as well, and the WP25. I'm sorry man but there is just no way a WP10 is more powerful than a MP10. It has a tighter flow yes but it's weak when you're trying to move any kind of volume. Sure it works in a smaller tank and I'm not saying it can't be the pump that works for someone but it's not as powerful. The WP25 on the other hand has massive amounts of flow but the flow pattern isn't wide enough to be usable for me.

This is the reason the RW's exist....

This is the reason the RW's exist....

I bought both WPs before the RWs existed so I'm comparing what I have since it was brought up that the WP10 is more powerful than the MP10. Which it just isn't.

I like the rw over the pm because you can angle them (and the cost) I have mine pointing at the glass, bouncing off the glass and giving me the widest flow ever.

Archived