SaltCritters.com

Whats going on with these zoas?

hypostatic

So a few of my zoas have been looking funky for the last few days:

39hWACs.jpg

Regular looking zoas of the same morph directly to the right.

Here's a closeup:

anyone know what's up with this?

natalia_la_loca

Some of my zoas looked like that for a while when I was accidentally overdosing 2-part buffer. Sometimes they're mysterious though. Looks like some of them may be pooping zooxanthellae.

Some of my zoas looked like that for a while when I was accidentally overdosing 2-part buffer. Sometimes they're mysterious though. Looks like some of them may be pooping zooxanthellae.

It's weird because there's happy zoas of the same morph (but on a different mat?) like 1.5 inches away...

Yeah my mohawks are doing the same thing. The daughter colony is looking great but the original frag looks identical to yours.

I dipped in iodine and they perked up a little bit but they still aren't 100%

natalia_la_loca

It might just be the photo, but to me even the "happy" zoas of the same morph look a little bit stressed. Any recent changes at all? new addition? big water change? Increase or decrease in light exposure? just throwing some ideas out there...

It might just be the photo, but to me even the "happy" zoas of the same morph look a little bit stressed. Any recent changes at all? new addition? big water change? Increase or decrease in light exposure? just throwing some ideas out there...

Really? The circled zoas are the "happy" ones I meant to point out:

7IBRcS3.jpg

i have a frag of zoas that looks the same...all shriveled up like that. other zoas are doing awesome. sometimes zoas are worst than SPS...at least you know you screwed up with parameters with SPS. zoas just melt for no good reason...

natalia_la_loca

Really? The circled zoas are the "happy" ones I meant to point out:

yup, the circled zoas are the ones I was talking about. They look just a little stressed to me, skirts not fully extended. But it's one photo, one angle, one moment in time...as Kat said, more pics, context might help diagnose. (or not, these being zoas)

I did some googling because one of my new frags is starting to do the same thing and this came up: http://www.wetwebmedia.com/zoanthidbehfaqs.htm

About 1/2 way down the page there's a photo of a polyp doing a similar thing. Their answer, "they sometimes just 'do' this... self-cleaning, digestion..." Not terribly helpful, but another idea. the mysterious ways of the zoa... -.-

Oh zoas, you and your mysterious ways. Well, I did a water change and cleaned out the filter, changed the carbon. Maybe an improvement in water quality will help.

Well for my zoas at least it was too much flow. I have a mag 18 return and 2 mp40s on a 48 inch tank, so "high flow" would be an understatement. I had to dial down the 40s from 70 to 52 over 2 days and they look much happier today. Maybe the front zoas are getting too much flow? Or decided to be picky? My other zoas were fine with the higher flow, but two looked like yours and they are all in the same section of the tank.

Got another picture of the green zoas that are behind these guys and next to the EE?

lol i'll snap a better pic when I get home

• 3 weeks later...

I use the coral amino and Kent coral accel.

I'll give it a go maybe the nano will explode with growth.

What's that other additive that everyone likes..aquavitro fuel is it?

Fuel use to give me cyano.

uhh so what ya do? nuffin?

Pretty much. It looks like some sort of disease that spread through the mat, so adjacent connected polyps slowly got infected. All other zoas are doing fine... I THINK... like my watermelons are "quickly" taking over that shelf, and I'm afraid of fragging them or anything in case they get sick too...

I swear by this stuff http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/coralaminot.phpZ's and P's can do crazy things. I have watched polyps disappear and was told to start dosing it. I haven't lost any polyps since I started it a year ago.

If only corals could speak.... I'm actually feeding my zoas a couple different things -- do you think that product if more effective than the amino acids the zoas would get from direct feeding?

Pretty much. It looks like some sort of disease that spread through the mat, so adjacent connected polyps slowly got infected. All other zoas are doing fine... I THINK... like my watermelons are "quickly" taking over that shelf, and I'm afraid of fragging them or anything in case they get sick too...

If only corals could speak.... I'm actually feeding my zoas a couple different things -- do you think that product if more effective than the amino acids the zoas would get from direct feeding?

Ow yeah direct feeding is really hard for most zoas. Tenor told me about the coral amino he is freaking genius when it comes to anything Z or P. If you think about a human body when it comes to aminos we have to eat a TON of food to get the same amount in 1 capsule.

Archived