SaltCritters.com

Jebao RW-4 or Koralia 240 in Biocube 14?

LongDoggy

I have running the Koralia, would it make sense to swap this for an RW-4?

(note; I also have a maxi jet 400 in chamber 1 plumbed to custom return. Stock return also in 3rd chamber). I don't think i need 4 pumps, but does the $55 make sense for jebao unit over koralia i have already?

Koralia doesn't have enough flow. To give you some idea I'm pushing between 700 to 800 gph through my powerhead. OK, its an MP 10, but it gives you some idea of how the 200 + gph of a Koralia would be lacking in a BC 14. Go with the RW-4. At least you can adjust the flow rate to taste.

I'm now tempted to get a jebao for my 20 gallon... I think the control you get is a big benefit over the Koralia. This powerhead is also very reasonably priced when compared to the Vortech pumps.

Thanks for the replies and opinions. It is a tough call, if I were sitting with 50 bucks in hand and no pump, It would definitely be the Jebao. But I already have the Koralia. Thats what makes it a tough call. Money is not an issue, but I try to spend consiensousley and keep things in reason; meaning that if something is working, why change it?

I guess the benefit of the Jebao would be the controllability and the wave making functionality. But I wonder if 'waves' are beneficial in a small 14g biocube?

I agree that the MP10 seem quite pricey and in comparison the the Jebao; I'd probably go with Jebao. Not to say the MP10 is not an impressive piece of equipment. But, is it worth it?

I am so hung up on this.

Here is the issue, I have a $50 Amazon gift card left over from xmas. Do I buy some test kits (I need Alk and Mag), should i get a refractometer (I use Hydrometer with success), or a new Jebao?

I have 2 Koralia 240's in my BC29, stock return pump though I've removed the elbow to decrease resistance thus increasing flow. I am not planning on keeping LPS or SPS so perhaps I don't have enough flow for them but I am happy with the flow I am getting now. I have no dead spots and nothing 'collects' anywhere.

I also like having 3 sources of flow. My wife has 2 rw-4's on her 125gallon tank. Nice little powerhead, I can't really imagine it in a smaller tank, I know people use them though.

Thanks for the replies and opinions. It is a tough call, if I were sitting with 50 bucks in hand and no pump, It would definitely be the Jebao. But I already have the Koralia. Thats what makes it a tough call. Money is not an issue, but I try to spend consiensousley and keep things in reason; meaning that if something is working, why change it?

I guess the benefit of the Jebao would be the controllability and the wave making functionality. But I wonder if 'waves' are beneficial in a small 14g biocube?

I agree that the MP10 seem quite pricey and in comparison the the Jebao; I'd probably go with Jebao. Not to say the MP10 is not an impressive piece of equipment. But, is it worth it?

I am so hung up on this.

Here is the issue, I have a $50 Amazon gift card left over from xmas. Do I buy some test kits (I need Alk and Mag), should i get a refractometer (I use Hydrometer with success), or a new Jebao?

Get the refractometer! Then if you are dosing get the test kits since you really shouldn't be dosing anything that you can't test otherwise I would get the jebao.

Actually, just got the RW-4 this past Saturday. Its pretty sweet so far.

I have 2 Koralia 240's in my BC29, stock return pump though I've removed the elbow to decrease resistance thus increasing flow. I am not planning on keeping LPS or SPS so perhaps I don't have enough flow for them but I am happy with the flow I am getting now. I have no dead spots and nothing 'collects' anywhere.

I also like having 3 sources of flow. My wife has 2 rw-4's on her 125gallon tank. Nice little powerhead, I can't really imagine it in a smaller tank, I know people use them though.

I definitely love more flow and my tank is also looking great. There are no issues. Not sure if I would benefit from the Jebao then since I already have three pumps moving water around. Just the idea of making waves seems pretty cool to me.

Is the RW-4 the smallest pump made by Jebao?

Get the refractometer! Then if you are dosing get the test kits since you really shouldn't be dosing anything that you can't test otherwise I would get the jebao.

Actually, just got the RW-4 this past Saturday. Its pretty sweet so far.

I know. :)

I test for Cal and keep that in a safe range. I do a very mild dose of the Kent part A & B to keep my Cal in the 450-500 range. I bet on the fact that since it is balanced and buffered then my levels will be in line for Alk and Mag. But this is a bet and I know risky.

I should probably just get the test kits.

I would really get the refractometer first. Its just so much better than a hydrometer. Unless they have gotten better somehow. I hated trying to ensure there were no air bubbles on the swing arm.

I remember thinking it was the best thing I purchased for my tank.

Probably depends on what you're going to keep in the tank. I have an RW-4 in an 18" cube which is 25 gallons...I run it at 90% for a pixed tank. I also have a Koralia Nano that I used on my 5 gallon and I've considered putting it in the 18" just to add some cross flow.

If you're just keeping med flow stuff you're probably fine with the Koralia...but I would suggest trying to get as much movement as you can from your return pump to avoud dead spots.

The RW4 is a crazy amount of flow for a BC14 IMO. It's is almost too strong for my 34g turned all the way down. Now I have in on my Apex and can adjust it lower. It was literally blowing tentacles off my hammer coral.

Just ordered my RW-8 right now! im exited! I've heard/Read/ and seen so many good thing about these pumps!!

now I wait for the Mail Man! :ninja: :ninja:

Now I am thinking it may be too much power for the BC 14. I definitely don't want too much flow.

Currently I am turning the following:

185gph with stock coralife return pump

240gph with Koralia pump

110gph with mainland powerhead (in chamber 1 with custom return).

I do have a petco pump that I use for mixing down in the garage. Thought about fitting that in as the new return pump. Or just buy a better return pump.

Perhaps that is the better upgrade for me and my water circulation?

Now I am thinking it may be too much power for the BC 14. I definitely don't want too much flow.

Currently I am turning the following:

185gph with stock coralife return pump

240gph with Koralia pump

110gph with mainland powerhead (in chamber 1 with custom return).

I do have a petco pump that I use for mixing down in the garage. Thought about fitting that in as the new return pump. Or just buy a better return pump.

Perhaps that is the better upgrade for me and my water circulation?

It could definately be too much flow depending on what you want to keep. The RW-4 has several setting options and is pretty flexible on flow, you can reduce the flow to 10% power if needed.

Looks like you'll get a decent amount of flow based on the pumps you listed.

Might be overkill. I will have to save it for the future tank. :) I guess I am just looking for something to buy.

Guess I should probably do the test kits, new purigen, chemipure elite and new wood airstones for my skimmer.

I like buying cool new things, the above mentioned are too boring. LOL.

In my standard 10G I just swapped a Koralia 425 for an RW-4.

It is on a complete other level compared to a Koralia.

I have it on either 1-2 speed, on W1 at about 50% pulse rate.

It is just perfect.

Koralia's are nothing more than mixing pumps.

Good feedback! Thanks!

Interesting to hear you notice that much of a difference from the larger koralia.

The flow on Koralia's is just too wide-spread to make any kind of significant movement possible.

A controllable pump is by far the way to go.

In my standard 10G I just swapped a Koralia 425 for an RW-4.

It is on a complete other level compared to a Koralia.

I have it on either 1-2 speed, on W1 at about 50% pulse rate.

It is just perfect.

Koralia's are nothing more than mixing pumps.

Do you have a video showing the flow with the new RW4. I've got a 10gal standard as well, and a Koralia 240 - zero dead spots. The clownfish typically don't swim inside the flow as it's quite strong. Would be cool to see a comparison!

Is the RW-4 the smallest Jebao?

Space is obviously a concern. If smaller than the Koralia its a definite win for me.

It's pretty much identical in size to a Koralia.

99866B2D-04F3-437B-A2CB-F14855DB6992_zps

978E3088-9C06-414B-96B7-5F699A556987_zps

Do you have a video showing the flow with the new RW4. I've got a 10gal standard as well, and a Koralia 240 - zero dead spots. The clownfish typically don't swim inside the flow as it's quite strong. Would be cool to see a comparison!

Sorry, no video.

I'm amazed at the amount of people that think Koralia's are good enough...

Perhaps I just got a crappy one..

Anyways, just being able to control flow and speed is an absolute must in my books.

And it only cost £10 over a Koralia.

Archived