ReefCleaners.org

Making your own fish/coral food?

LongDoggy

So I feed flakes to my clowns and once a week I do a little heavier feeding with the following which I mix and blend up:

frozen mysis

row

phytoplankton

zooplankton

clam

Now my question and thoughts:

Is there really a standard for home brew fish-coral food?

I've read a number of peoples recipes and they all vary. I suppose so long as the blend itself is broad it will suit the purpose of satisfying our reefs.

I've been eyeing up the fresh fish market at my local grocery store and figure i may do a blend of the following in a ninja blender that i don't use':

fresh shrimp

fresh scallops

fresh clam/oyster

nori sheet

phytoplankton

zooplankton

maybe some piece of random fish

some marine flakes and pellets

row eggs

frozen mysis and brine

fresh tank water to dilute as needed

blend up, freeze flat in ziplock, and voila!

I'd say this should suffice? Not trying to save money really, just sounds fun to make my own food. Plus I will have a pretty decent supply. Last, I think that since I am using primo fresh stuff that it will be better than what can be bought at the LFS.

Thoughts?

I've actually done the whole blended food thing - my fish loved it, but it bumped up my phosphate levels and I had a minor outbreak of cyano once, so I reduced wet feeding dramatically.

Yea I had pondered that issue. Might be from overfeeding. I don't feed my tank much, basically a pinch of flakes and my mixture once per week. So, I would be wary of the amount i feed still, just substitute a little frozen home brew for flakes 2-3 times per week.

Or, is there something we are missing here?

Just a pair of clowns. I like giving them a married diet and they are quite healthy and happy. Might be adding a goby but that is undecided.

Corals I have a good stock and definitely growing. Check my thread for current livestock.

Here is a tip. Freeze your large pieces. Then grate on a fine cheese grater.

Way better than the blender.

Also, use a flour sifter to rinse frozen cubes like mysis and brine. It will help reduce needless nutrients.

As for the nori. Just put a small piece in a food clip and let them nibble for 15m then remove.

Archived