Top Shelf Aquatics

Most Fish ever kept (successfully)

aprnken

I know many hobbyist are hard on the rule of no more than 3 fish in a 14 gallon nano. But with frequent water changes I'm sure you could keep the bio build up low. So my question is..... "What is the most fish you successfully managed in a 14 Gallon and how did you do it"

I keep four in my 10 gallon, so I guess four in a 14 gallon would be fine.

I did it by keeping them fat and happy (I feed them a million times a day, they eat like pigs and are active as, er, something that is extremely active).

I do 2-3 10-20% water changes per week.

HecticDialectics

Sounds like a lot of extra work for a suboptimal setup. It's one thing to push the boundaries with what's possible with small tanks, but another to just try and see exactly how many fish you can keep alive in 10 or 12 gallons of water.

I'm planning to do 6 to 7 nano-sized fish in my upcoming 16G tank. Do I qualify?

No. You need to do at least double that. :P Nah six or seven would be cool.

@HecticDialectics: Not sure if that was aimed at me, but how do you define 'suboptimal setup'?

I have in a 5.5G planted Freshwater.... 3 cory cats, 6 cardinal tetra's, 1 half moon double tail betta, 2 silver hatchets. Zero problems, no aggression, NO3 of 10.

As far as salt goes.... I would toe the line carefully. Add them about 6 weeks to a month apart to be sure you can care for that many. My main concern with a lot of fish in a nano like that would be the aggression really. There was the one guy on here with a bunch of stuff crammed in a 5G... I think some sort of goby, pair of clowns, mandarin, and something else lol.

I have in a 5.5G planted Freshwater.... 3 cory cats, 6 cardinal tetra's, 1 half moon double tail betta, 2 silver hatchets. Zero problems, no aggression, NO3 of 10.

As far as salt goes.... I would toe the line carefully. Add them about 6 weeks to a month apart to be sure you can care for that many. My main concern with a lot of fish in a nano like that would be the aggression really. There was the one guy on here with a bunch of stuff crammed in a 5G... I think some sort of goby, pair of clowns, mandarin, and something else lol.

Ah yes - he had two dragonets, a pair of clowns and something something else - 6 fish in total in a 5G. Wonder what happened to him.

What does happen to the inactive members? I've always wondered what.

They just drop off the grid like a stack of bricks. I think there's a super secret blackhole somewhere in NR, but Christopher Marks is probably the only guy who knows about it. B)

For freshwater I've stuffed 3 corydoras, 2 glass catfish, 3 bloodfin tetras and 2 rummy nose tetras.

In 10 gallons

haha that all? i have 2 corys, 4 danios, a banjo cat, an upside down cat, 2 syno cats, a bushy nose plec, a clown plec, an unknown plec, and some shrimp and snails. all in 10 gallons, but i have 2 large filters, on 20g and one 30g. but i am getting it ready for an upgrade after i get my reef stuff squared away.

They just drop off the grid like a stack of bricks. I think there's a super secret blackhole somewhere in NR, but Christopher Marks is probably the only guy who knows about it. B)

well I hope neither you or me find that black hole.

haha that all? i have 2 corys, 4 danios, a banjo cat, an upside down cat, 2 syno cats, a bushy nose plec, a clown plec, an unknown plec, and some shrimp and snails. all in 10 gallons, but i have 2 large filters, on 20g and one 30g. but i am getting it ready for an upgrade after i get my reef stuff squared away.

That's still nothing - I had 37 assorted tetras, 4 angels, 4 paradise gouramis, 2 Hoplos catfish, 3 loaches, 1 raphael squeaker catfish, 2 crayfish, over a hundred snails (MTS, MTTS, Nerite, Orange sulawesi, speckled sulawesi) in 16G. My filtration was only a 500L/Hr HOB, but I didn't get a single algae outbreak. And yes, I'm guilty of overstocking.

lol mine had no filter, but over time most them died of old age, not the corydoras though, they are still with me after a few years, now it's them, 3 dwarf African clawed frogs, and a guppy.

Here's some pics:

ECC8wOg.png

ulcvSQc.png

I eventually shifted them all over to a 30G, and gave half the load away to some of my local friends. Here's how my 30G now looks like (all the plants are real btw, no fake plants in my tank) :

wRbkQkG.png

Your tanks are awesome :D my freshwater tank is so overgrown with hornwort, I only know my animals are alive because they come to the feeding spot lol

Try frogs, they are really fun :)

Your tanks are awesome :D my freshwater tank is so overgrown with hornwort, I only know my animals are alive because they come to the feeding spot lol

Try frogs, they are really fun :)

Nah, the only frogs they sell here are Pacmans. And you can't exactly touch them. All they'll do is sit and stare at you.

I honestly would love a chameleon or baby hognose snake though. But knowing my mother, she'll shriek the house down. :lol:

I was thinking clawed frogs. But I do have green tree frogs, and a toad I saved, poor little guy was found in the shop floor half dried, its been several months ago, now he's a little pampered toad who is almost tweezers fed.

Snakes are so cutepost-84861-0-64192700-1422249578_thumb.jpg

I don't think you are taking into account the stress you will be putting on the fish and how that will affect their lifespans. Health is about a lot more than low nitrates.

I was thinking clawed frogs. But I do have green tree frogs, and a toad I saved, poor little guy was found in the shop floor half dried, its been several months ago, now he's a little pampered toad who is almost tweezers fed.Snakes are so cuteattachicon.gifhttp://www.nano-reef.com/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=147286'>IMG_20141013_174949.jpg

I have 4 African Dwarf Frogs, 4 pygmy cories, and a female Betta in a 5.5 gallon. I love my frogs, especially when they sing.

Archived