Innovative Marine Aquariums

Not a zoa...Not a green star polyp... What is it?

Jbrock183

I have a tiny new coral that is sprouting from my snowflake polyps. It looks like it could be a zoa but it has tentacles. It also looks like it could be a green star polyp but it is too dark brown and the tentacles are far too big in diameter. Here are some close ups.

natalia_la_loca

Not sure. I've never been blessed with majano. But if it's anything at all like aiptasia, I'd kill it with fire while cackling wildly.

One of these days I should fill a tank with all the typically undesirables, Majano, aptasia, Mantis shrimp and evil crabs and see what happens. It could be fun. It could be a nightmare.

That sounds awesome, add valonia and all the other algaes for good measure.

Though evil crabs are nice in COWLR setup ( crabs only with live rock)

First wait and see, if he moves around then he should go. Otherwise he will really just sit around and do next to nothing.

Otherwise you can kill it or pull it out with my various tricks I've learned, but first just see, some pest nems will behave themselves.

It's a Majano most species are invasive and deadly to all the coral they come in contact with. Point is get that thing out of the tank ASAP.

Amphipod I've seen these things multiply out of control killing every coral in the tank. Just because you find pests interesting doesn't mean you can suggest everyone let them overtake the aquarium.

Original Poster You can kill them with boiling water or lemon juice injections. Another option is, if they're on the surface of the rock, you can scrape the mojanos off the rock using a tooth pick or small chisel Try to get the entire foot of the thing off the rock.

Stop them before 3 become 300

One of these days I should fill a tank with all the typically undesirables, Majano, aptasia, Mantis shrimp and evil crabs and see what happens. It could be fun. It could be a nightmare.

You should check out Islandoftiki's old pest tank thread if you haven't already. It's a great read! http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/297134-islandoftikis-mantispest-tank-pico-contest-winner/?fromsearch=1

It's a Majano most species are invasive and deadly to all the coral they come in contact with. Point is get that thing out of the tank ASAP.

Amphipod I've seen these things multiply out of control killing every coral in the tank. Just because you find pests interesting doesn't mean you can suggest everyone let them overtake the aquarium.

Original Poster You can kill them with boiling water or lemon juice injections. Another option is, if they're on the surface of the rock, you can scrape the mojanos off the rock using a tooth pick or small chisel Try to get the entire foot of the thing off the rock.

Stop them before 3 become 300

I specifically said if he moves to remove, and yes your tips are good. Another way that's effective in my experience is to freshwater dip them, put salt crystals at their foot, aim steady strong stream of water over them until they detach. I've also heard pointer lasers aimed at the base will make them detach after a few minutes, I've never tried that one before though.

Archived