Top Shelf Aquatics

BioCube skimmer problems

Mitchell

I picked up a used biocube skimmer for my 29 gallon. When the pump is turned on and airflow wide open there are no bubbles at all. The pump seems to be working...Should I replace the pump anyway? If so, which pump should I get?

The diaphram on the pump could be shot. More likely the airstone (wood) is clogged up. You are supposed to replace them every couple of weeks.

I can also confirm the crappiness of that skimmer. I had it and all it did was make a cup full of clear water for me to empty. I had it for about 6 weeks and could never get it dialed in. I have tried placing it higher and lower, more air and less air, a new airstone, etc. Nothing worked so I ditched it and just run a 100 micron filter pad and chaeto in the second chamber and I am happy with it. But to answer your question, the airstone is probably clogged. Mine got clogged with a disgusting smelling sponge... Just take off the hose for the pump and see if you feel any positive pressure.

Yes I do Steve

Aquaticlife 115

They are decent skimmers, but not as good as say the Tunze 9001 that fits in chamber two next to the media basket

Cencalfishguy56

The tunze 9001 was a great skimmer but I had mine intank and I just couldn't get passed staring at it lol so I got an hob remora nano but the tunze was great for the short time I had it

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think Im going to run skimmerless. I bought an Aquatic life 115 and I cant get it to skim properly. No matter where I set the baffle the skimmer still fills the cup with water. I have an air control valve that I added to the air intake and it overfills when theres air and when there is not. The skimmer is set as high as it will go in the back number 1 chamber. I'm at a loss and very frustrated. It's been running for about 3 weeks now, maybe even 4...cant remember. I'm emptying the the cup 2 three times a day of just water...

I'm not saying the biocube skimmer is great, but I get lots of gunk out of my tank with it. And I haven't changed my air stone once in the 5 months I've had it

Not stone wood

jamescstein

I could never get mine working well. Always too wet or nothing at all. When I bought my tank used the 'diffuser' was trashed. They don't do well when they've been used and then dry back out. It was like I didn't even have the diffuser on the hose, large bubbles coming out.

I wound up picking up a 'used' Tunze 9001. By used I mean I think it had gotten wet once. But it didn't look very used when I opened it up. I love the Tunze, in just a week it is skimming great.

Archived