ReefCleaners.org

Purple brush gorgonian and flow?

Partially Submerged

Partially Submerged

I am trying to figure out just how much flow is best for gorgonians. I bought what I think is purple brush gorgonian (definitely purple and definitely gorgonian). Having read that they love strong flow, I put the little guy pretty much right in front of the filter outflow, which is a space I had meant to fill for a while. Polyps started extending a few hours later, but not in a few areas where the flow hit the coral directly. So I assume it was a bit too much flow. I moved the gorg to a place near the outflow, but the flow is much weaker there. Everything moves a bit, but I wouldn't call it string flow. Is that going to be enough, you think? Where do you place your gorgs? Are you aware of any videos that show gorgs in the perfect amount of flow?

Hey there, I can provide some helpful info for you, but since every coral has slightly different care, a picture would help tell you exactly how much flow it needs. It would also tell us whether it is an NPS Gorg or not.

If it's something like a Purple Ribbon Gorgonian, like this: post-79255-0-82471100-1422310254.jpg then, I've noticed it does best in slightly higher than medium flow. Meaning no low flow and too much flow will just bend it, which I'm sure can't be good. Medium to high light as well, so a particular part on your sand bed that has higher than most flow in that spot.

I am pretty sure purple brush is a photosynthetic gorgeous and I think they like to be blowing a bit so it waves around a little but not blasted.

• 4 weeks later...

Low light and medium to high indirect and random flow. They are photosynthetic gorgoiains but will still do better if fed. I have had great luck with that species.

They can take flow. You wouldn't believe the amount of force they can indure during tides. I personally witnessed this in Costa Rica.

In my personal experience thought, they love flow and don't mind more intense lighting. YMMV

They can take flow. You wouldn't believe the amount of force they can indure during tides. I personally witnessed this in Costa Rica.

In my personal experience thought, they love flow and don't mind more intense lighting. YMMV

With intense lighting just make sure no cyano or any other algaes start growing on the coral. If they do increase flow or lower the lighting. You can also blow cyano off with a turkey baster if need be.

Archived