Coral Vue Hydros

Inexpensive dosing container

aldawg973

Hey guys I finally decided to take the plunge and add a dosing unit to my tank and i realized that most of the dosing containers costed a pretty penny so i decided to do a little DIY. Total cost for both after I finished cost me 25 bucks and they each can hold 2000 ml which can dose for a long vacation. Let me know what you guys think of it.

post-65071-0-75277600-1422136828_thumb.jpg

Nice job on the diy. I know some of the cylinder style containers can be a bit pricey, but there are other cheaper options out there. A few weeks ago I ordered a triple compartment rectangle dosing container off eBay for $35. I believe each compartment holds 1.5l. I am still waiting for it to arrive in the mail, I believe the guy builds to order so the wait time is a lil longer.

On another note, do I spy a gyre on this tank?

indeed you do spy a gyre. i love it, i have the 150 on my 56 gallon tank i keep it on about 50% most times and it turns up all the gunk in the tank.

Very nice! I just got finished mounting mine and doing some wire management. The mag caught my eye, very strong mag imo, I had trouble getting them to separate when first pulling them apart.

Yeah ... i almost had to go to the hospital when the magnet snapped back onto the other end. i swore my finger was split open. luckily it was just swollen afterwards.

Cool idea, just be careful with the lids on those mason jars. They tend to rust, and rust is not good for reef tanks. I'm not sure if they will rust from any of the typical dosing supplements, but if you get any saltwater on it at all, rust will be inevitable.

Cool idea, just be careful with the lids on those mason jars. They tend to rust, and rust is not good for reef tanks. I'm not sure if they will rust from any of the typical dosing supplements, but if you get any saltwater on it at all, rust will be inevitable.

rust=ferric oxide

Now that is a cheap and cool idea. Looks like their cereal box display case would work well as a 1.5 gallon ATO container too!

rust=ferric oxide

Thats true, but I thought anything rusting in your system was cause for concern. Sorry to take this thread a little off topic, but does it depend on the material that is rusting? I feel like I remember something about copper leaching, but that could be wrong.

Archived