I have a 40g, currently have lots of live rock and a few soft corals. Fish are:

Maroon clownfish

green chromis

regal damsel

royal blue dwarf Angel

six line wrasse

scooter blenny

green mandarin

Clean up crew includes turbo snails, sand sifting snail and hermit crabs and a cleaner shrimp.

I realise my tank is pretty much full now, however I wondered if there is a way I can tell? I do 10% water changes every 10 days and parameters are always fine.0 ammonia and 0-5 nitrate.

When you can't add water to the tank without it overflowing, it's full.

In all seriousness, when the tank is unable to process waste and supply nutrients to the inhabitants. You could run it jam packed if you had continuous water changes, but that becomes a hassle and costly.

jedimasterben

Water changes are and have always been a poor choice for nutrient export and make little to no difference unless large (50%+) changes are performed.

If your filtration can keep up, then keep going until you see aggression in the inhabitants.

So I guess I set my self a limit to how often I want to do water changes, and monitor parameters until they get too high for the frequency of water change? All I was thinking was maybe adding a bi colour blenny or royal gramma

jedimasterben

More than likely you won't adjust how much you are feeding by adding a new fish that is small (I always feed the same amount of food no matter how many fish/etc so that bioload cannot change), so your net bioload won't be any different.

Archived