Top Shelf Aquatics

Leather coral! *scream*

Partially Submerged

Partially Submerged

Not too long ago, I complained about slow growth in my 4g pico tank. Some corals are growing well (a pink birdsnest, GSP), some have been stagnant for a while (torch, M. digitata), some are too new to tell (trumpet, acan). As far as I can tell, all corals are healthy, though.

Today I realized that my green finger leather coral might be a factor that inhibits growth in some of my corals. I read a lot about them releasing toxins into the water, and I imagine in a tiny tank like mine that's a problem. Two questions:

1. How real is this danger in your experience? Would you remove the leather coral? I have M. digitata, birdnest, trumpet, torch, acan, purple gorgonian, xenia (to be relocated soon), GSP, and a bunch of mushrooms.

2. If I remove the leather coral, how do I do it safely? It's attached to the rock that forms the base for everything else, so I can't move the rock. Is it safe to cut the coral's base as closely as possible to the rock, or would it grow back from the remains of the stem? Would the coral release additional toxins when I cut it?

Not too long ago, I complained about slow growth in my 4g pico tank. Some corals are growing well (a pink birdsnest, GSP), some have been stagnant for a while (torch, M. digitata), some are too new to tell (trumpet, acan). As far as I can tell, all corals are healthy, though.

Today I realized that my green finger leather coral might be a factor that inhibits growth in some of my corals. I read a lot about them releasing toxins into the water, and I imagine in a tiny tank like mine that's a problem. Two questions:

1. How real is this danger in your experience? Would you remove the leather coral? I have M. digitata, birdnest, trumpet, torch, acan, purple gorgonian, xenia (to be relocated soon), GSP, and a bunch of mushrooms.

2. If I remove the leather coral, how do I do it safely? It's attached to the rock that forms the base for everything else, so I can't move the rock. Is it safe to cut the coral's base as closely as possible to the rock, or would it grow back from the remains of the stem? Would the coral release additional toxins when I cut it?

Run more GAC to remove the toxins released by the leather coral from the water

Wow, how cool, Albert Thiel! Listen to him!

Albert, nice to meet you (although virtually). Your books helped me get started back in the day! Thank you.

CJ

Albert, nice to meet you (although virtually). Your books helped me get started back in the day! Thank you.

CJ

Thanks ... and my latest book is listed in my sig

I appreciate the kind words

Albert

Partially Submerged

Thanks, all! I will start running carbon today. I am in the process of setting up a small tank in my office and will transfer the leather finger, the xenia, and some of the GSP to that tank. I know a lot of people run carbon all the time. Is there any concern that the carbon takes out too many of the desirable elements from the water?

QFT

I would not run a reef tank without it.

Even if active warfare is not going on, inhibiting chemicals are being given off. Unless proven otherwise, assume ALL corals are doing this.

Use the highest quality you can get. The BRS video comparing the types they themselves sell, clearly show that ROX is superior to most.

Rinse all GAC before use, the ROX has the least amount of fines that I have seen. I have not used the Korallen Zucht GAC, but I try it as second choice after ROX.

This video is compelling.

Aquarium Carbon Demo - BRStv BulkReefSupply.com:

CJ

Exactly.

I had the same "wow" factor.

Its like finding a photography board and finding out that Ansel Adams or Jerry Uelsmann is hanging out offering advice on how to set up a darkroom or setting up a shot or whatever.

Back before the WWW, if you didn't have his books in your possession, you weren't serious about reefing.

Exactly. I had the same "wow" factor. Its like finding a photography board and finding out that Ansel Adams or Jerry Uelsmann is hanging out offering advice on how to set up a darkroom or setting up a shot or whatever. Back before the WWW, if you didn't have his books in your possession, you weren't serious about reefing.

Thanks for the kind words. They are appreciated and Happy reef keeping

Albert

Partially Submerged

I didn't have that reaction because I am too new to reef tanks to know who is who. :D But I certainly appreciate the advice!

I didn't have that reaction because I am too new to reef tanks to know who is who. :D But I certainly appreciate the advice!

You are welcome

Archived