Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

:flower:

Thank you, Dawn! Falkor is really just too much fun. I think I'd have a hard time having a tank without an eel now that I've had one. All my friends that aren't that into aquariums just love him. He's definitely the show stealer of this tank. What type of eel did you have? I didn't realize you had one. Now I want details! :lol:

I had a snowflake also. I named him Eely, (real original, ha ha!) It was before I was on NR and before my mother in law got sick when I had my 90 gallon tank. I had a volitan lionfish, (Leo) too. I did not have much diversity of coral though, some mushrooms and some leathers were about it. Then I moved Eely and Leo to a 125 gallon fowlr tank in our basement gameroom with a 70 gallon sump. I had planned to hook the 3 tanks together via the 70 gallon sump which is why I already had a place for my current basement sump. Its in the same space the 70 gallon sump was. When mom in law got sick I was struggling to keep up with water changes, so before any of my animals suffered I sold the big tanks. Like you somday when my seahorses are gone I may go back to a predator tank.

• Like 1

:flower:

Thank you for listening, Gena! Yeah it took me a bit to dredge up the timeline for everything. It was September of 2011 that I set up the 10 gallon. Time definitely seems to fly in this hobby :D

Time flies in general. Needs to slow down :).
  • Like 2

I had a snowflake also. I named him Eely, (real original, ha ha!) It was before I was on NR and before my mother in law got sick when I had my 90 gallon tank. I had a volitan lionfish, (Leo) too. I did not have much diversity of coral though, some mushrooms and some leathers were about it. Then I moved Eely and Leo to a 125 gallon fowlr tank in our basement gameroom with a 70 gallon sump. I had planned to hook the 3 tanks together via the 70 gallon sump which is why I already had a place for my current basement sump. Its in the same space the 70 gallon sump was. When mom in law got sick I was struggling to keep up with water changes, so before any of my animals suffered I sold the big tanks. Like you somday when my seahorses are gone I may go back to a predator tank.

Wow! You've sure had a variety of tanks and fish! It would be fun to see you with a predator tank, but I'd definitely miss the seahorses. Well I'd miss them except for the stress they cause!

Time flies in general. Needs to slow down :).

True true :)

Hi Felicia. You tank is beautiful. How long is your snowflake now?

Thank you! Falkor is about 18" long now, I believe. He's about twice as long as when I got him in May 2015.

I finally got my print copies of Reef Hobbyist in the mail today! Figured I'd take a photo with my magazine cover next to the tank :)

28277045925_3be8f2ca81_z.jpgIMG_5596 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Unfortunately the reef lighting isn't the best for taking photos of people :lol: Here's another one of me with the cover in better lighting.

27661241014_826a775931_z.jpgIMG_5601 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

• Like 18

So cool!!! :) I've gotta say congrats again :) I wish I had a store near me that got reef hobbyist magazine

Thank you! I was pretty excited to have the print copies in the mail when I got home from work this evening. The digital version will be out soon, so you'll be able to see the whole issue. The digital issue should be released around the end of this week on reefhobbyistmagazine.com.

That's awesome! Congrats

Thank you! :)

Sorry for being so MIA! I just started my new job last week and I've been busy busy! I love it, but I'm still adjusting to having an hour and 15 minute commute each way. I haven't had the time or energy to post! I'll be back soon once I adjust :) In the meantime, I have more exciting news about the Reef Hobbyist Magazine feature...

The digital version of Reef Hobbyist Magazine featuring my tank is now available!
Just go to Reef Hobbyist Magazine's website to check it out! Now you don't have to go to an LFS to find a print copy :D
27807957324_3dea892ac7_b.jpg
  • Like 13

Just wanted to say congrats! Tank looks beautiful :)

Thank you! :)

My commute is an hour and 15 too split between walk, bus, train, walk. Hope yours is less transfers so you get to nap a little!

I'm driving for mine, so no napping but at least it's quiet and I can listen to podcasts and audiobooks. If I did public transit it would take me over 2 hours split between train, bus, and walking. You've sure got a lot of transfers!
  • Like 2

lots of traffic??

Quite a bit! The Bay Area definitely has a lot of traffic. If there was no traffic at all, the drive to my work would take around 45 minutes. With the normal traffic it can take anywhere from 1 hour to 1.75 hours depending on if there are any wrecks or exactly what time it is. I'm just listening to a lot of podcasts and audiobooks to try to make the drive bearable.

Felicia, I forgot to ask you when you were over in my neck of the woods if you had a chance to dive?

I wanted to, but unfortunately I didn't get to. The friend that I was visiting in Florida is a diver but she just had a total hip replacement a few months back and wasn't up for diving yet. I didn't want to go without her since I was there to visit her and she's taken time off work to spend with me. Next time I'm in Florida it's a must though!

Wow! Beautiful tank and congratulations getting the cover!

Thanks so much! :)
  • Like 1
Elizabeth94

Wow! You've sure had a variety of tanks and fish! It would be fun to see you with a predator tank, but I'd definitely miss the seahorses. Well I'd miss them except for the stress they cause!

True true :)

Thank you! Falkor is about 18" long now, I believe. He's about twice as long as when I got him in May 2015.

I finally got my print copies of Reef Hobbyist in the mail today! Figured I'd take a photo with my magazine cover next to the tank :)

28277045925_3be8f2ca81_z.jpgIMG_5596 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Unfortunately the reef lighting isn't the best for taking photos of people :lol: Here's another one of me with the cover in better lighting.

27661241014_826a775931_z.jpgIMG_5601 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

I wore the same exact shirt to work yesterday... How weird haha! Thats really awesome that you had your reef in the magazine! Such an accomplishment, a well deserved one at that. Your tank actually pushed me to think about setting up my future tank in a similar fashion, I really love the lions, but I am worried about their spines during matinence :blink:

• Like 1

I wore the same exact shirt to work yesterday... How weird haha! Thats really awesome that you had your reef in the magazine! Such an accomplishment, a well deserved one at that. Your tank actually pushed me to think about setting up my future tank in a similar fashion, I really love the lions, but I am worried about their spines during matinence :blink:

That's funny! I'm a big fan of Express' work blouses. They have a lot of good options and they're pretty inexpensive. Thank you! It really was such an honor! That's awesome to hear! Glad my tank could inspire you! The lionfish aren't aggressive, so its not like they're going to be actively trying to sting you. You just have to keep track of where they are so you don't bump into their spines by accident. Or, you can just wear thick, over the elbow plastic gloves like I do so that you don't have to worry about it.

Speaking of commute, just listened to the podcast you were in this morning--great job! My commute is just as long… Congrats on being featured, celebrity status now!

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it! Long commutes are rough, but at least podcasts and things make them bearable :)

Tank is looking amazing Felicia, just beautiful. Congrats on the magazine feature also!

Thank you so much, Jase!

• Like 2

That's funny! I'm a big fan of Express' work blouses. They have a lot of good options and they're pretty inexpensive. Thank you! It really was such an honor! That's awesome to hear! Glad my tank could inspire you! The lionfish aren't aggressive, so its not like they're going to be actively trying to sting you. You just have to keep track of where they are so you don't bump into their spines by accident. Or, you can just wear thick, over the elbow plastic gloves like I do so that you don't have to worry about it.

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it! Long commutes are rough, but at least podcasts and things make them bearable :)

Thank you so much, Jase!

It's a really pretty blouse! I didn't know you had such a long commute. You should buy a really nice new car with leather seats and the works to make it as enjoyable as possible :lol:.

Can you believe MACNA is just a bit over a month away???? I'm really excited about it :). I'm planning to get my copy of your magazine there!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a really pretty blouse! I didn't know you had such a long commute. You should buy a really nice new car with leather seats and the works to make it as enjoyable as possible :lol:.

Can you believe MACNA is just a bit over a month away???? I'm really excited about it :). I'm planning to get my copy of your magazine there!

Yeah the commute is a bit rough, but housing prices around here make it worthwhile. I have rent control from 6 years ago, so if I move now my rent would more than double which is just crazy. Luckily my car is low mileage and reliable and paid off! So its nice to run up the miles on my older car.

Well its only a few days away now! I am so psyched! This is going to be soooo much fun! Reef Hobbyist Magazine will be there, so that's a good place to grab my magazine!

Hi Felicia! How's the new job going? And of course I have to ask for any tank updates :P

Hi Christina! Sorry for being so MIA. Work has just been crazy! I absolutely love it, but I've been really busy the last several weeks and then when you add the commute, I haven't really had much time/energy for online posting. The tank is doing well overall though. I've been neglecting it a bit, so the hair algae issues have gotten worse. But I worked on it a bunch this weekend and got it all cleaned up and looking back to its normal self. I've only had one mishap and that's that the derasa clam that was having issues for months finally died. I never did figure out what happened with it since my other two clams never showed any stress and still remain perfectly healthy and growing. I was super bummed, but oh well. To look at it in a better light, there wasn't much room for the clams to grow and now the two that are left have a bit more space.

How about a quick photo to prove the tank is still alive and running?

28866546443_9450593293_k.jpgIMG_6268 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

• Like 11

You may have a crowd around you when you go up to a booth and ask for your magazine!!!

You'll have to hop on over & see my tank, I have Randi's kole tang and now I have a starry blenny. The fun part was trying to find him as when the tank went into the evening hrs and darkened I couldn't find him when he was right in front. The other funny part was the tang nipping on his stars, like he was something to eat. Found out the whole tank loves Rod's Herbivore mix but he shot across the tank to grab some. I love my starry.

Any of the leathers that grow like trees, I know they get big, I see you have one on the substrate, are most of yours situated on bottom and halfway up? I want to consider where I put them. I have not glued any down.

• Like 1