Coral Vue Hydros

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

Wait until you guys see my squammy in her tank :wub:. She sent me a photo :).

Thanks so much again, Gena! I seriously did not realize how big the squammy or the slimer really were from your photos. They are AMAZING and HUGE in person. As beautiful as all your photos are, these two pieces are so much more stunning in person. I know it was a pain to ship for me when you could have sold locally, so thank you so much again. I'm so thrilled to have them and this way you can enjoy photos of your squammy. I'll take good care of it, I promise! Gena is seriously an amazing reef friend to have!

Wow! Lots going on in this system, and ALL of it awesome. Good work Felicia!

Cracked me up watching Mushu so hypnotized by the food he fell over on his back. :eek:

Glad you like all the changes! Some people are loving it and some people think I'm crazy, haha! I'm finally really happy with this system, so thank you! :)

I'm surprised you were the only one that commented on that! Mushu is kind of a big clutch and he cracks me up. It's like he's big, bright red, and venomous so he doesn't have to worry about being stealthy or graceful. He just sort of goes lumbering around and does silly things like that.

• Like 2

Update time! Sorry no photos tonight but tomorrow, I promise.

a) My package from Gena arrived with her MASSIVE squamosa clam and the colony of Bali slimer. She did an amazing job packaging and both pieces arrived in great shape and super happy/healthy. I know both those pieces were a PITA to ship, so gena is a rockstar! The squamosa is fully open in my tank and the slimer has nice PE.

b ) I knew the squamosa was big enough that I'd have to do some rearranging of my scape, but I wanted to wait to see it in person to figure that out. Good thing I did because it's even bigger than I realized. I did some rearranging/rescaping to give the squammy a nice spot. I wanted to make it the centerpiece of the tank and I think I achieved that. Unfortunately, everything was still a bit pissy from all the rescaping so no photos tonight. Tomorrow though when it's all open I'll reveal my new FTS.

c) I finally stopped being a slacker and moved my light fixture to be properly centered over the 40B. It was centered over my old 30 gallon and I never moved it after the upgrade so it was too far back. I also adjusted my lighting program a bit. I had turned my lights down in intensity to battle the algae issues, which are finally clearing up. Now I think with getting some sps and another clam that the intensity should be increased.

d) I upped my alk and ca dosing a bit to account for the amount that will be used by the huge squamosa and the slimer colony. I'll have to keep adjusting it over the next few days until I get it stable again.

e) It was feeding day for Mushu, Draco, and Falkor. My schedule now is to feed Sunday, Wednesday, Friday. I've also got the clowns and blenny on this schedule. I didn't feed the antennata today because she just ate yesterday. I'll get her transitioned onto the feeding schedule. Mushu is still eating his silversides like a champ and he's now decided that jumbo mysis are also yummy. Draco is still only eating live, but he's showing some interest in the frozen. I'm working on weaning him and the antennata onto frozen. Not sure how long it will take, but luckily the ghost shrimp are a cheap and easy live food option.

• Like 5

I 'll be anxiously awaiting those pics!

Glad to see you excited about the tank again, the new predators really do look great. Slimer pic!

Thanks guys! Pics will definitely happen tonight and I'll make sure to get a slimer pic for you, Mark.

• Like 1

:lol: told you it was huge! It's hard to gauge scale for sure from a photo :).

I dropped my doser down from like 60ml each per day to 10ml...or something like that. Haven't tested the water at all...probably should do that. I'm being a big slacker now :D.

:lol: told you it was huge! It's hard to gauge scale for sure from a photo :).

I dropped my doser down from like 60ml each per day to 10ml...or something like that. Haven't tested the water at all...probably should do that. I'm being a big slacker now :D.

Yeah photos are always deceiving! It fits perfect though so I'm thrilled it's even bigger than I realized. I meant to ask you, did it attach it's foot to the bottom glass in your tank? I'm wondering because the eel is digging a burrow under the clam and I don't want him to interfere with the clam trying to attach it's foot. My little squamosa has never tried to attach and just likes to sit on the sand, so I was wondering if it's like that.

60 mL?! Woah! My tank has been stable with 8 mL a day of each component of BIonic, so I increased if by a couple mL. Guess I better go increase it a ton more!!!

• Like 1

Yeah photos are always deceiving! It fits perfect though so I'm thrilled it's even bigger than I realized. I meant to ask you, did it attach it's foot to the bottom glass in your tank? I'm wondering because the eel is digging a burrow under the clam and I don't want him to interfere with the clam trying to attach it's foot. My little squamosa has never tried to attach and just likes to sit on the sand, so I was wondering if it's like that.

60 mL?! Woah! My tank has been stable with 8 mL a day of each component of BIonic, so I increased if by a couple mL. Guess I better go increase it a ton more!!!

When I first put it in I had a frag tile underneath and it grabbed onto that. Once it got bigger it let go and hasn't put it's foot down since. I doubt it will try it in your tank :).

A lot of that 60ml went to the monticaps though. The thickness on those plates was incredible! I couldn't believe it when I pulled it out.

• Like 1

When I first put it in I had a frag tile underneath and it grabbed onto that. Once it got bigger it let go and hasn't put it's foot down since. I doubt it will try it in your tank :).

A lot of that 60ml went to the monticaps though. The thickness on those plates was incredible! I couldn't believe it when I pulled it out.

Ok that is good to hear. I was hoping it would just be content on the sand and not try to put its foot down. Especially since the eel has made a burrow directly under its foot now :lol: The eel was living under the small, front, center rock that I ended up removing to make space for the clam, so he was a big annoyed. He loves the new clam though, so he's already dug some new burrows.

Oh, that's a good point! I just upped my dosing to 15 mL of each to account for the slimer and squammy. We'll see how it does with that over a few days and then I'll increase again if needed.

• Like 1

Ok that is good to hear. I was hoping it would just be content on the sand and not try to put its foot down. Especially since the eel has made a burrow directly under its foot now :lol: The eel was living under the small, front, center rock that I ended up removing to make space for the clam, so he was a big annoyed. He loves the new clam though, so he's already dug some new burrows.

Oh, that's a good point! I just upped my dosing to 15 mL of each to account for the slimer and squammy. We'll see how it does with that over a few days and then I'll increase again if needed.

Nice! That eel is starting to grow on me :lol:.

• Like 1

Aright, here are the photos I promised. First off, let's get right to the good stuff! New FTS after some rearranging to fit the new clam from Gena.

FTS 5/28/15

IMG_5481.jpg

Left side

IMG_5316.jpg

Middle

IMG_5311.jpg

Right side

IMG_5306.jpg

IMG_5310.jpg

Ok, now for some photos of the new clam from Gena. It is absolutely huge! Here's a photo of me holding it when I unpackaged it to put it in the tank.

IMG_5233_1.jpg

Look how gigantic it is next to my little squamosa.

IMG_5405.jpg

IMG_5366.jpg

All three clams together.

IMG_5434.jpg

Falkor really likes the new clam. Here he is checking it out right after I put it in the tank yesterday morning. Its like he's giving it a hug :)

IMG_5259.jpg

He's made a burrow underneath it.

IMG_5356_1.jpg

One of my two ruby red mithrix crabs cleaning its shell.

IMG_5449.jpg

And here's the slimer from Gena. She grew this out from a frag of my original colony that I lost when my original 30 gallon tank crashed. So cool to have a colony of my original lineage back! Draco was photobombing :)

IMG_5321.jpg

IMG_5429_1.jpg

Here are some coral shots from tonight.

IMG_5318_1.jpg

IMG_5329.jpg

IMG_5328.jpg

IMG_5353.jpg

The starry blenny.

IMG_5398.jpg

Some shots of Draco.

IMG_5399.jpg

IMG_5382.jpg

IMG_5334.jpg

The antennata is still being shy, but here she is hanging out on the rock below the duncan.

IMG_5415_1.jpg

IMG_5387.jpg

• Like 8

I love the looks of your tank! Your selection of animals and coral is great. A perfect slice of the ocean without all the over the top maintenance. Very very nice.

• Like 1

Beautiful tank and fish. The eel is really cool.

Thank you! The eel has quite the personality. Definitely a fun fish to watch.

I love the looks of your tank! Your selection of animals and coral is great. A perfect slice of the ocean without all the over the top maintenance. Very very nice.

Thank you!!! I'm really content right now :) I feel so lazy only feeding 3 times a week! Sticking to my once a week 10 gallon water changes for the bioload, but that's not bad at all now that I have my water mixing station right next to the tank.

OMG that clam is HUUUUGE!! :wub:

It is!!! Gena's photos were deceptive. I know it was big, but in person it is a beast! I love it :)

Thank you! The eel has quite the personality. Definitely a fun fish to watch.

I'd love to get one but I don't think the Firefish would feel the same way about it! Maybe another tank, one day.

• Like 1

I'd love to get one but I don't think the Firefish would feel the same way about it! Maybe another tank, one day.

Yeah, smaller fish with an eel probably wouldn't work out so well. The eel doesn't see that well so he would have a hard time intentionally catching a fast swimming fish. However, during feeding time he goes into a frenzy and just starts biting everything trying to get food, so people have issues with them accidentally biting fish instead of the food sometimes.

• Like 1

Yeah, smaller fish with an eel probably wouldn't work out so well. The eel doesn't see that well so he would have a hard time intentionally catching a fast swimming fish. However, during feeding time he goes into a frenzy and just starts biting everything trying to get food, so people have issues with them accidentally biting fish instead of the food sometimes.

I didn't know that! Reminds me of the Sesame Street episode where Cookie Monster is mailed some cookies. He opens the box and eats the cookies and gets in such a frenzy that when the cookies are all gone, he eats the box and then the mailbox!

• Like 1

I didn't know that! Reminds me of the Sesame Street episode where Cookie Monster is mailed some cookies. He opens the box and eats the cookies and gets in such a frenzy that when the cookies are all gone, he eats the box and then the mailbox!

Haha yeah, that's a pretty good description of the eel! :)

Alright, finally finished editing the videos I took last night. So here's a new tank video for you guys!

• Like 6

Beautiful video!!

I love the eel and crab living under the clam!! :wub:

I know! Quite the popular hangout :)

The eel sure does love Squammy :). Everything looks fantastic :happydance:.

The eel and I have that in common. Squammy clammy is doing sooo well. Couldn't be more thrilled, Gena. Thanks so much again! Really made the tank!

• Like 1

I know! Quite the popular hangout :)

The eel and I have that in common. Squammy clammy is doing sooo well. Couldn't be more thrilled, Gena. Thanks so much again! Really made the tank!

Yay :happydance:.

It was worth every ounce of effort to ship it to you :flower:.

• Like 1