Pod Your Reef

Help ID...Aptasia?

lost_nemo

No not aiptasia, but I don't know what it is. I had one (may still have somewhere in the tank) but it's never multiplied. Interested in what others think it is.

Looks like it's in that family. Not all will take over your tank. I have one and it hasn't done anything in 4 months. I'd leave it just keep an eye on it. Some people just like to kill things it seems.

Ball Anemone. Very neat and will stay in the shadows of your tank. You can feed because it does not require light but mine make it on their own.

agree it looks like it might be a ball anemone. not a bad hitchhiker, although I've got one that stings my acans at night, that one is starting to make me mad, otherwise they are pretty much safe and only come out at night for the most part.

Ball Anemone. Very neat and will stay in the shadows of your tank. You can feed because it does not require light but mine make it on their own.

You nailed it, thats exactly what it looks like after googling it. Apparently there are mixed opinions on these critters, they will sting and take fishes and snails. I might just nuke them since im unsure how they will impact my tank and its going into a pico so I dont want them to overtake the tank.

Here's a post of some killing a clown.

http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f326/hi-i-need-help-with-corallimorph-or-ball-anemone-204478.html

+1 on ball anemone. these guys are harmless and wont harm anything. they're a type of mushroom actually. I have several in my tank and fed them sometimes. they're right next to several corals and haven't stung anything ever

+1 on ball anemone. these guys are harmless and wont harm anything. they're a type of mushroom actually. I have several in my tank and fed them sometimes. they're right next to several corals and haven't stung anything ever

I think there are a couple different species.. I've also had no issues (with the exception of my acans), and I think they're a very neat hitchhiker..

Archived