ReefCleaners.org

Jeff's IM NUVO Fusion 30L Build

Jeff_in_FL

Thanks nano-reef.com!!! I have been lurking on this site for awhile. This is my first salt water tank, and I am very excited! Ordered from Marine Depot, and they did a great job packing...if packing peanuts ever skyrocket in price...I'll be rich! I am very pleased with the tank, it is beautiful! The stand on the other hand would be ok at $100....but at $300... I think someone was inebriated when they were drilling the holes. Filter baskets are a joke...it's like buying toys from the grocery store quality. Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated! This is where I stand at the moment:

IM Fusion 30L

IM Stand

IM Ghost Skimmer Midsize

Hydor Nano 465 GPH

Cobalt Neo-Therm 100w

Light ??? Still not sure.. any suggestions/input? Thinking Maxspect 160w 16k..I'd like to use tank mounts.

LR Fiji Premium (not sure how many lbs exactly)

Carib Sea Fiji Pink (20 to 30lbs)

API Saltwater Master test kit

API Reef Master test kit

Hydrometer (Refractor soon I hope, any suggestions on brand?)

IO Reef Crystals

Media Basket ??? (IM custom caddy or inTank?)

Chemi-Pure Elite

Purigen

Wish me luck!

post-87049-0-03252200-1421969244_thumb.jpg

Well... I am making progress. LR sure is stinky, I hope it gets better soon. Aquascaping was a lot more difficult than I thought. Props to all you with such beautiful tanks!! My scape isn't perfect but I hope it's a good foundation to grow on. My stock pump was running fine lastnight...now today it's loud, to the point it is annoying me. I read where some people say it needs to break in, I hope that's the case. Salinity is at 1.025, and temp is at 78 degrees. Still searching/researching for a light to use.

post-87049-0-08582200-1422127438_thumb.jpg

Welcome! I agree about the stand. I tell anyone I know to build their own or purchase a different one. As far as light, I use an AI Hydra 52, but I believe others have used that Maxspect with great results. I know I debated about the maxspect myself.

Good luck and feel free to ask about anything.

Welcome! I agree about the stand. I tell anyone I know to build their own or purchase a different one. As far as light, I use an AI Hydra 52, but I believe others have used that Maxspect with great results. I know I debated about the maxspect myself.

Good luck and feel free to ask about anything.

Thanks! Yeah, I am leaning towards the Maxspect hoping I can use the tank braces it comes with. But afraid the edges will be short on light. At my LFS they had the Current Orbit Marine sitting on the tank...but it was like a half an inch too long. I love the false wall you built for your Apex...so clean and tidy...only if I was that capable. =)

Nice setup. I have a Vega over my IM 30 and the ends of the tank are a little dark. I'm sure if it was mounted higher it would be better.

I'm switching to a Nanobox Quad though, if it ever ships.

Nice setup. I have a Vega over my IM 30 and the ends of the tank are a little dark. I'm sure if it was mounted higher it would be better. I'm switching to a Nanobox Quad though, if it ever ships.

Gosh...now you have me researching the Nanobox Quad. Not too much info out there on it. The webcite doens't have any info on it...just a few posts on here. What kind of mounting are you going to do?

Gosh...now you have me researching the Nanobox Quad. Not too much info out there on it. The webcite doens't have any info on it...just a few posts on here. What kind of mounting are you going to do?

Yes, there isn't much on his site for the quad. I think he has a new site that should be going up soon.

I will be using their gooseneck mounting option. It's one of the things I like most about the design of the Nanobox.

Thanks! Yeah, I am leaning towards the Maxspect hoping I can use the tank braces it comes with. But afraid the edges will be short on light. At my LFS they had the Current Orbit Marine sitting on the tank...but it was like a half an inch too long. I love the false wall you built for your Apex...so clean and tidy...only if I was that capable. =)

Thanks :) Yeah, there are lots to choose from but I'm sure you won't go wrong with any of those.

Took a water test today just to see. Tank has only been running for 4 days. So...I'm very skeptical of my results, something seems fishy. :)

Salinity 1.026

pH 7.8

Ammonia 8.0ppm (or higher it was dark)

Nitrite 2.0ppm

Nitrate 5-10ppm (hmmmm)

Will try again in a few days and see what I get.

Now the good news....I ordered a Nanobox Quad from Dave. I can't wait!

post-87049-0-09149300-1422373027_thumb.jpg

Thanks nano-reef.com!!! I have been lurking on this site for awhile. This is my first salt water tank, and I am very excited! Ordered from Marine Depot, and they did a great job packing...if packing peanuts ever skyrocket in price...I'll be rich! I am very pleased with the tank, it is beautiful! The stand on the other hand would be ok at $100....but at $300... I think someone was inebriated when they were drilling the holes. Filter baskets are a joke...it's like buying toys from the grocery store quality. Any tips and advice will be greatly appreciated! This is where I stand at the moment:

IM Fusion 30L

IM Stand

IM Ghost Skimmer Midsize

Hydor Nano 465 GPH

Cobalt Neo-Therm 100w

Light ??? Still not sure.. any suggestions/input? Thinking Maxspect 160w 16k..I'd like to use tank mounts.

LR Fiji Premium (not sure how many lbs exactly)

Carib Sea Fiji Pink (20 to 30lbs)

API Saltwater Master test kit

API Reef Master test kit

Hydrometer (Refractor soon I hope, any suggestions on brand?)

IO Reef Crystals

Media Basket ??? (IM custom caddy or inTank?)

Chemi-Pure Elite

Purigen

Wish me luck!

Tank 1.jpg

This is the tank I really wanted. Settled for the 20, but now I'm wishing I had gone bigger. Will be following your progress.
  • 2 weeks later...

This is the tank I really wanted. Settled for the 20, but now I'm wishing I had gone bigger. Will be following your progress.

Yeah, I liked the dimensions of this one for where I wanted to put it. I needed something slim to the wall....but jeesh only 11 inches in the display tank front to bank, it's a narrow tank. My LR was hard to aquascape...hence why it looks kind of blah.

Well...my Ammonia is at ZERO (woohoo!) Nitrites 2.0ppm. Salinity was at 1.027 before I added my top off for the day. We are making progress. It's funny...for an empty tank I sure do spend a lot of time staring at it. In my mind it has so much potential. Can't wait to get my first coral... so many out there. I know I'll start with a shroom or Zoa first....but ohhh...I can't wait to get a Kryptonite candy cane and a torch.

Got some goodies in the mail today! Thanks Marine Depot!

IM Protein Skimmer (I know reviews have been mixed but it's sleek)

IM MiniMax Midsize (thinking of running GFO)

IM Custom Caddy (Had to replace the stock baskets, they are a joke)

Tunze Nano 3152 (I have seen the importance of these, I have to top off every day)

Refractometer (Can't wait to try it out and compare it to my hydrometer)

Cobalt MJ-900 (ohh.....the stock pump....it's all I can hear...was hoping it would quiet down by now)

All things going good. Can't wait to order my CUC!

post-87049-0-28553400-1423093943_thumb.jpg

I have the same tank and ordered a Quad from Dave (nanoboxreef). I have a Maxspect Nano and loved it over the cube, but I think the quad with the v3 array will be a major upgrade. Check the vendor forum here for detailed info and pics on the quad. The other upgrade I purchased was a Jebao RW-4, which is fantastic for this tank. Really love the light sensor and random wave action, and the price was right.

I have the same tank and ordered a Quad from Dave (nanoboxreef). I have a Maxspect Nano and loved it over the cube, but I think the quad with the v3 array will be a major upgrade. Check the vendor forum here for detailed info and pics on the quad. The other upgrade I purchased was a Jebao RW-4, which is fantastic for this tank. Really love the light sensor and random wave action, and the price was right.

Yeah, I ordered a QUAD from Dave about a week ago...I can't wait. I am using a LED off of a FW tank I have...just so I can enjoy my tank more. I have started looking into the Jebao RW-4 since you mentioned it, seems only Amazon sells it...and maybe a few other stores, none of the cites that I usually buy from. I don't think my Hydor Nano 465gph gives out much, I could be wrong.. I guess I'll know more when there is something in the tank. But I would like to be able to have more than my constant ON that I have now. Thanks for the info!

Nice looking tank, really like the island on the right side! Looking forward to seeing this one with some coral :D

Thanks! I was thinking of maybe doing shrooms down below and placing Zoas and Polyps on top. Yeah...I can't wait to put coral in it. I have a whole spreadsheet of what I would like to add. Of course I'll be happy when I can just add my CUC. I want to see some life in there!

Thanks! I was thinking of maybe doing shrooms down below and placing Zoas and Polyps on top. Yeah...I can't wait to put coral in it. I have a whole spreadsheet of what I would like to add. Of course I'll be happy when I can just add my CUC. I want to see some life in there!

That'll look great grown in. What are the stocking plans for the rest of the corals?

That'll look great grown in. What are the stocking plans for the rest of the corals?

Here is my list of what I would like...probably Can't do them all. If you have an suggestions what would be great.

Kryptonite Candy Cane

Torch (Atomic or Fluorescent Tip)

Green Duncan

Pom Pom Xenia

Fiji Yellow Leather

Kenya Tree

Maze Brain

Prism Goniastrea

Metallic Green Wall Hammer

Green & White Pipe Organ

I'd like to try these down the line:

Pink Birdsnest

Blue Green Tenuis

Diatoms Galore! Went out of town for a few days, had just a few specs, came back to a whole lot! Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates 5-10ppm, pH 7.8 to 8.0 hard to read, salinity 1.026.

Ordered a CUC from John at Reef Cleaners. It will be nice to see something moving around in the tank.

Made my first batch of RO/DI water a few hours ago. Ordered the 4 stage system from BRS...shocked at how big it was. Very nicely made though, heavy! Sprayed the walls a few times with water...I gotta get a little better organized.

Plan on doing a 50% water change in the AM.

post-87049-0-63006600-1423781942_thumb.jpg

Here is my list of what I would like...probably Can't do them all. If you have an suggestions what would be great.

Kryptonite Candy Cane

Torch (Atomic or Fluorescent Tip)

Green Duncan

Pom Pom Xenia

Fiji Yellow Leather

Kenya Tree

Maze Brain

Prism Goniastrea

Metallic Green Wall Hammer

Green & White Pipe Organ

I'd like to try these down the line:

Pink Birdsnest

Blue Green Tenuis

You can definitely fit those :) I have almost all of them in my 30L.

Archived