inTank Media Baskets

New miniature WiFi LED controller $100

SpencerShepard

SpencerShepard

I'm not saying it will never happen, but I'm not planning on allowing users to change the PWM frequency. There would need to be significant demand for that feature to justify the programming time. You can certainly turn your fans on/off with it though!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got my mini today from Dave and just want to say that setting it up was a breeze. I am powering it via the ribbon connectors so pin 1 and 2 with a meanwell SCW08C-12 which is also powering 3x noctua fans and works like a charm. I am using these cables to connect to my LDD board so it's basically plug and play.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6SOGC4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only thing which I could not see from the board is if the PWM channels can share a ground? Would be nice to just use 1 ground cable for all 6 channels.

jedimasterben

Got my mini today from Dave and just want to say that setting it up was a breeze. I am powering it via the ribbon connectors so pin 1 and 2 with a meanwell SCW08C-12 which is also powering 3x noctua fans and works like a charm. I am using these cables to connect to my LDD board so it's basically plug and play.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A6SOGC4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only thing which I could not see from the board is if the PWM channels can share a ground? Would be nice to just use 1 ground cable for all 6 channels.

All grounds on the mini are common (the whole bottom row). :)

I would like to try this controller out but I think I need some help omgomgomg

What I want to do is set up a 4 channel system (would these colors work well with the bluefish programs?)

CH1 - RB / V

CH2 - NW / WW

CH3 - Blue / Cyan

CH4 - Lime

Use a LDD-700H for each channel with some kind of power supply

I get kinda fuzzy here because I haven't worked with these parts before..

I'm thinking I will need to mount the drivers on a coralux 5UP LDD driver board.

-- How do I wire from the power supply to this board? I assume those terminal screws on the input side are for positive and negative wires from the PS?

-- How do I rout this board to the controller? I am assuming here that the ribbon cable breakout accessory will plug into the bluefish and the individual wires on the other end will go into the screw terminals on the board?

Then when all of that is wired I will need the USB cable to power the controller?

Maybe there is a better way to do things, that I haven't figured it out? :eek:

I learn well with bright colorful pictures , are there any threads where this controller is wired into a DIY system? Does Bluefish provide wiring examples?

Many thanks for any guidance :bowdown:

jedimasterben

I would like to try this controller out but I think I need some help omgomgomg

What I want to do is set up a 4 channel system (would these colors work well with the bluefish programs?)

CH1 - RB / V

CH2 - NW / WW

CH3 - Blue / Cyan

CH4 - Lime

Use a LDD-700H for each channel with some kind of power supply

I get kinda fuzzy here because I haven't worked with these parts before..

I'm thinking I will need to mount the drivers on a coralux 5UP LDD driver board.

-- How do I wire from the power supply to this board? I assume those terminal screws on the input side are for positive and negative wires from the PS?

-- How do I rout this board to the controller? I am assuming here that the ribbon cable breakout accessory will plug into the bluefish and the individual wires on the other end will go into the screw terminals on the board?

Then when all of that is wired I will need the USB cable to power the controller?

Maybe there is a better way to do things, that I haven't figured it out? :eek:

I learn well with bright colorful pictures , are there any threads where this controller is wired into a DIY system? Does Bluefish provide wiring examples?

Many thanks for any guidance :bowdown:

IMHO I'd make a couple of changes to your channel setup. I would run RB and B together, lime and cyan together, an white and violet on their own. I also don't think that using neutral white in addition to warm is necessary. :)

As for the bits you ask about the controller:

It needs its own power supply, you can't use the same ones as you use to power the LDD unless you use a step-down converter (like a Meanwell SCW05C-12). There are no terminal screws or anything on the Mini - it can use either a mini-USB plug or use the leftmost pair of pins of the 14-pin connector. Voltage input range is 3.3-17v.

The ribbon cable will connect the pins of the mini to the PWM input terminal blocks on the LDD board. Make sure you connect a common ground from one of the bottom pins of the Mini to the common ground on the LDD board or nothing will work correctly. :)

IMHO I'd make a couple of changes to your channel setup. I would run RB and B together, lime and cyan together, an white and violet on their own. I also don't think that using neutral white in addition to warm is necessary. :)

As for the bits you ask about the controller:

It needs its own power supply, you can't use the same ones as you use to power the LDD unless you use a step-down converter (like a Meanwell SCW05C-12). There are no terminal screws or anything on the Mini - it can use either a mini-USB plug or use the leftmost pair of pins of the 14-pin connector. Voltage input range is 3.3-17v.

The ribbon cable will connect the pins of the mini to the PWM input terminal blocks on the LDD board. Make sure you connect a common ground from one of the bottom pins of the Mini to the common ground on the LDD board or nothing will work correctly. :)

Great color suggestions, thank you. So the lime and cyan go together because they are typically run at the same percentage?

Would it be beneficial in terms of the different programming options (Sunset, Sunrise, Storms or other functions) to have a dedicated red channel or will the warm whites take care of those needs?

I'm having trouble with the wiring I guess because the parts aren't laid out in front of me. Please correct me if I am wrong. So the bluefish has two rows of 7 pins making it 14 pins in total. The top pins correspond to the different channels (Making 6 in total and one left over for optional power). The bottom pins are a common ground, so only one needs to be hooked into the common ground of the LDD board.

The LDD board PWM inputs have 10 terminals, I can't really read what the numbers are on the stock photo, but it looks like ( 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , G , G , G, V, VI) . So i would wire each channel from the top row of the bluefish to a corresponding input terminal 1-4 (assuming I have 4 channels), and one from the bottom row to a 'G' terminal on the LDD board?

Then the outputs on the board look like [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]; So each one of those has two terminals corresponding to (+) and (-), which are run to the separate channels of LEDS?

Where does the LED power supply plug in? I assume its run through the LDD board, but which terminals?

Thank you for your patience and guidance

jedimasterben

I'm having trouble with the wiring I guess because the parts aren't laid out in front of me. Please correct me if I am wrong. So the bluefish has two rows of 7 pins making it 14 pins in total. The top pins correspond to the different channels (Making 6 in total and one left over for optional power). The bottom pins are a common ground, so only one needs to be hooked into the common ground of the LDD board.

Correct. For the rest of it, make another thread in the lighting forum to prevent clogging this one up more :)

• 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Correct. There is also another aspect. The LDD-L has PWM frequency 100-500Hz, while the LDD-H is 100-1000Hz.

The normal Bluefish gives 580Hz, the Mini gives 400Hz.

Archived