Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

New miniature WiFi LED controller $100

SpencerShepard

SpencerShepard

Yeah, I'm too lazy to review all the diagrams. I was hoping it was like the storm fan channels that output ... ... what 25kHz PWM...?

Right now, my fans are always on. I just want on/off too. I guess I'll start looking at it.

Does the nanobox fixtures use the fan control on the storm? How is it wired when upgrading to the bluefish?

You can use the Bluefish Power Dimmer to control fans. You could do on/off, or possibly even control speed (depending on the fan). This would be plug-and-play with Bluefish, or hackable with the Bluefish Mini (need to make the connection by soldering directly to the Power Dimmer or making an adapter).

Mine is going inside my Sunpower, and I'll report how it does with wifi. I get about half the signal that I do in the room with the tank as I do standing in front of the access point, so we'll see how the aluminum enclosure hinders it. I wish that the Bluefish would give a signal strength reading somewhere.

You can access the current wifi signal stength in the System Status screen once the new firmware is released (looking good for within the next week or so).

Well, I know what controller I'll be using with my light. This is a pretty awesome response to the popular ldd drivers. Maybe I missed it but, when is this suppose to be for sale?

Early March. :)

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey spencer what does the bottom of the board look like? Is it flat and bare or are some of the components/etchings on the back as well?

SpencerShepard

Hey spencer what does the bottom of the board look like? Is it flat and bare or are some of the components/etchings on the back as well?

It's flat except for where the pins of the main header come through. This is one of the prototypes, so the board will be blue, and the silkscreen art will be different.

mini-proto-back1.jpg

Yes, a Canadian quarter is the same size as a US quarter...and it's a Caribou, apparently. :P

This is the new silkscreen art for the back:

bf-mini-silk-blue.jpg

SpencerShepard

Hi Spencer is the Bluefish update here yet?

Hi Flo, not quite yet. Still in beta testing but looking good for the end of this month.

Is there a way we could get dimensional specs of the board? I'd like to start coming up with a case design so I can machine it up while at work. Maybe make it out of abs or delrin for starters, then try aluminum to test signal strength

SpencerShepard

Just want to make sure this is clear before I get into trouble. :) The $100 retail price doesn't include a power supply, or any cable attachments. The header is standard 0.1" x 0.1" pin spacing, so current Nano Box or Storm users don't need anything extra for the connection to lights. The board can be powered through the header, or through the mini USB port. If you've ever bought a digital camera, you probably have at least one of these cables already, and it can be plugged into a cell phone charger (the types with the USB port).

If you need a power supply, we will offer one for less than $10, and a ribbon "breakout" cable for about $5.

Is there a way we could get dimensional specs of the board? I'd like to start coming up with a case design so I can machine it up while at work. Maybe make it out of abs or delrin for starters, then try aluminum to test signal strength

I'll put together a pdf drawing with board dimensions and hole positions when I get a chance.

jedimasterben

What kind of power connector does this have anyways?

Mini USB or the Vin/GND pins on the 14-pin connector. 3.3-17v input, but obviously 5, 9, and 12v are the most common.

SpencerShepard

Hmmmm ... Need to figure out a way to power it with minimum wires needed.

Do you have a project thread or can you tell us more about what you're doing? Maybe tap into the fan power supply?

Do you have a project thread or can you tell us more about what you're doing? Maybe tap into the fan power supply?

I have a 30L I'm going to build a light for eventually. I'll be moving long before I set the tank up though so no rush. Gives me plenty of time to design and iron out bugs while technology moves on.

That and I generally like designing lights regardless of whether I actually build them or not.

Pardon my non techy ignorance, is this wifi controlled or is it a phone app? If it is for an app, is it only IOS or will it support android?

Phone app wifi with Android and ios support from the looks of the silk screen.

Needs windows phone support. Not that i need it to have that it's just nice to see windows phones get support since so many apps leave them out in the cold.

SpencerShepard

app-mockup-render-resize.jpg

appstore_logo_black2-300x101.pnglogo-android-app-wide1.png

wifi.png
Built-in Wi-Fi connection means you are up and running in a snap. No messing with long runs of ethernet cable or finicky Wi-Fi gateways. The cloud connection means your device is instantly accessible from anywhere, with no router configuration necessary.

location-simulation.png
Bluefish makes it easy to replicate the lighting conditions of any location, using actual weather data in real time! Just choose a city, and optionally use the current weather conditions (clouds, storms, etc), sunrise/sunset times (dynamic photo-period), and moon phase! Powered by Wunderground.com

weather-simulation.png
Bluefish simulates unique cloud cover patterns using the current weather conditions from your simulated location. Unique weather conditions include clear, partly cloudy, mostly cloudy, scattered clouds, rain, haze, overcast, and thunderstorm.

webcam-views.png
Integrate the video feed from webcams directly into the app! Check up on your tank, make changes remotely, or just have fun showing off….start a thunderstorm and watch the action from anywhere!

storms.png
Start a thunderstorm from the app and lighting strikes are synchronized with audio from a real thunderstorm. Connect your phone or tablet wireless to a Bluetooth speaker for maximum effect!

easy-setup.png
Wi-Fi configuration is extremely quick and easy. Select your network, enter the password, then hold the screen of your mobile device to the sensor on top of the Bluefish device. Your mobile device sends the configuration by flashing the screen (think Morse code). In about 10 seconds, your Bluefish controller is online and accessible from anywhere. Absolutely no router configuration necessary! Programming your light schedule and customizing your channels is a snap.

encrypted.png
Bluefish was created with your security in mind. End-to-end SSL encryption protects your data from prying eyes, and your settings are stored securely in the cloud.

iOS-Simulator-Screen-shot-Apr-26-2014-11 iOS-Simulator-Screen-shot-Apr-26-2014-11

iOS-Simulator-Screen-shot-Apr-26-2014-11 iOS-Simulator-Screen-shot-Apr-26-2014-11

Nice.

That would fit clean up in a .9" CNCReef fixture. The price is right too.

That demo tank is beautiful, the light is beautiful, the controller is beautiful.

That fixture has got to go. Waste.

Just to clarify. The Nano Box units that are currently using a Storm can be upgraded to this without any mods. Simply plug it in. I have been using one now for a week or so. :)

As for the fans. The Duo has a separate plug that you can use a simple wall timer with. The Mini series is stricly on/off. I will am almost finished with a how to for the fans to be separate. Tons of stuff in the works over here. Only to better your tanks!

-Dave

So literally plug it in to the storm and it will operate with the bluefish app like normal? -After setup of course.

jedimasterben

So literally plug it in to the storm and it will operate with the bluefish app like normal? -After setup of course.

No, the Storm and Bluefish are completely separate. You take the control cable out of the Storm, plug it into the control bits of the Bluefish Mini, and then apply 3.3-17 power to the remaining two pins or via the mini-USB port

Archived