ReefCleaners.org

Price check on some miscellaneous LED stuff

Baroose_Le

Hi all!

I don't know if this is the best place for this but I'm trying to get rid of some of the tank clutter I've accumulated and then reinvest in some new equipment. I built my own LED array a couple years ago for a 48 x 30 frag tank which I've taken down. I dont know what to do with the fixture and haven't kept up really with LEDs but wanted to see if it was worth trying to sell, parting it out, or just trashing it.

Basically, I got the LEDs, drivers and power supply from Steves LED and HeatsinkUSA heatsinks with some odds and ends and put it all together. There are 16 clusters of LED's each with 3 RB, 2 NW, 1 violet, 1 red, 1 cyan and 1 blue. There are 6 heat sinks, 4 x 18 inch and 2 x 12 inch and each one has a fan. I have 2 typhon controllers (8 channels total) and 2 power supplies which run the whole thing so that each color has its own channel (2 channels royal blue, 2 channels white, 1 violet, 1 red, 1 blue, 1 cyan). The fixture has been up and running for about a year at 50-70% power. The LEDs are attached to the control box with Steves LED extension cables but one of them broke so I rigged up a little patch which should probably be redone. Everything else is in working order. The thing probably weighs 30-45 lb so wouldn't be easy to ship but I could try to sell it locally (Oregon). Alternatively, I could part it out and maybe sell each heatsink with the LED clusters individually and maybe the Typhons individually. Or just trash the whole thing?

Also, I have a small fixture that is meant as a 29 biocube retrofit which I was going to modify to put in a small 25 gallon hood that I have but never got around to completing it. It is basically the RapidLED retrofit kit minus the drivers and power supply. It is a 10x6 inch heatsink with 24 LEDs. It has 12 RB on one string and 6 NW, 3 CW and 3 violet on the second string. I drilled the heatsink and put 2 fans on the sides of the heatsink which have their own power and speed regulator.

So, before I post on the hardware classified section or on my local forum....I dont want to rip anyone off but would like to get fair value....what is this stuff worth?

I am happy to answer any other questions about the equipment.

Thanks in advance to all you LED experts!

post-48210-0-44509100-1421878524_thumb.jpg

post-48210-0-14025800-1421878536_thumb.jpg

post-48210-0-94755300-1421878554_thumb.jpg

post-48210-0-51105500-1421878570_thumb.jpg

post-48210-0-83767500-1421878583_thumb.jpg

post-48210-0-87168800-1421878592_thumb.jpg

post-48210-0-11651100-1421878618_thumb.jpg

My opinion is that the Typhons are obsolete. Coralux Storm(X) and RLL controllers are the way to go. Bluefish if you want the light that's over Fiji right now.

Those 24v drivers scare me, always have. They are heat generating machines. I would put no value on them.

That power supply is a known fire hazard, have read of three either melting or burning up. Put that stuff in the trash.

The heatsink probably have no value, though nothing wrong with them, they are odd individual sized. Maybe $5-10 each.

Fans, I'm sold on the PWM Noctuas, for light cooling. They are virtually silent, great reputation, ugly color.

I could turn those you have into magnetic stirrers, though, for mixing salt in water jugs. Maybe $5 each.

That leaves the LEDs. Used LEDs go for about half retail. If the violets have browned primary lenses, not much value.

Thanks much for the input. I'm thinking selling it all might be more trouble than it is worth. Maybe I'll donate it to a local high school electronics club or something...

Archived