inTank Media Baskets

PE Mysis alternative

lkoechle

What do you feed? Currently i feed ocean nutrition pellets, Neptune's crossover diet pellets, Nori, Sweetfish Roe, PE Mysis, and Rod's. I am looking for a cheaper alternative to PE Mysis. Any suggestions or anything i can find at the asian mart?? They really love the stuff, its just expensive IMO. I paid 3.65 for a half pound of roe. That is much more my speed. Lol. Suggestions?

$20.99 and I'm feeding it to just fish right now, but later corals and an anemone. My clowns tear into it, which is good because I want them nice and fat to start breeding sometime next year... I would just like something cheaper. I mean, in the scheme of things, it isn't that much. But the reasonable part of me is going, "They are fish. You spend almost as much on them, as you do on the dog and cat." and the other part of me goes, "But look at how much they smile when they get it!"

Just get hikari and soak it in selcon. PE smells the same as selcon and is oily, which makes me think they do the same, though the size of the shrimp is larger.

I have used frozen krill, its sometimes cheaper. Also sometimes its really good to diversify the diets of your animals so they can rely on others when the going gets tough. You can OCCASIONALLY use freshwater foods like bloodworms, tubifex, etc but limit it greatly because too much will hurt your fish. Also pellets are nice, some people even feed amphipods, but they can be more expensive.

Just get hikari and soak it in selcon. PE smells the same as selcon and is oily, which makes me think they do the same, though the size of the shrimp is larger.
chop it small, they'll never know the difference lol

I have used frozen krill, its sometimes cheaper. Also sometimes its really good to diversify the diets of your animals so they can rely on others when the going gets tough. You can OCCASIONALLY use freshwater foods like bloodworms, tubifex, etc but limit it greatly because too much will hurt your fish. Also pellets are nice, some people even feed amphipods, but they can be more expensive.

chop it small, they'll never know the difference lol

Where have you read that bloodworms will hurt saltwater fish? I have been feeding bloodworms daily for years and my fish have not shown any signs of sickness.

For SOME fish I've read they can suffer over long term consumption of freshwater animals in general, I've never tried it but I'd hate for someone to lose a pet from bad diet. I always give them whatever is available, then again most my saltwater friends were caught in an estuary.

Where have you read that bloodworms will hurt saltwater fish? I have been feeding bloodworms daily for years and my fish have not shown any signs of sickness.

I've never heard they were bad for fish in any way, only thing I've read negative about bloodworms is that they have a super high phophate content.

Archived