Top Shelf Aquatics

Looking for Aquascaping Tips/Ideas **

Pisces28

Hello Everyone :bounce3:

I have just set up my BioCube 29, and aquascaped with live rock.

Unfortunately, I really dislike the way it turned out, and will be starting over. Any advice on aquascaping would help.

Here is what I would like to know:

1. I will be putting soft corals in eventually, so I am wondering if there are any shelf-like pr any cave-like rocks I can purchase.If so, where and what kind?
2. Is there a specific way this should be done for the corals to live properly on the rock?
3. Does the rock have to be live or can it be dry, or some other kind?

If anyone has pictures or can share some ideas, I would appreciate it because I am lost and cannot begin to cycle until this is done!

Since your early in the process you can try to do this right so you have a good foundation for your reef!!!

Few things that I learned and helped me.

Don't be afraid to smack apart a big rock with hammer and chisel. This gave me a lot of nice pieces to work with!! Being as though we are working with nano tanks, big pieces seem to make the tank look small.

Try to build a structure outside of the tank and make it look like one piece, but one piece that is proportionate to your tank. Then place it in your tank.

Built in a shelf or slope. Also if you break up your rocks, you can arrange them in any shape you want. Just try to make the seams of adjoining rock look natural.

Check out the link in my signature. It's my huild thread. You will see my past three years of blah scapes and my most recent which I love! I made this new scape by doing what I described above.

I've tried it all; too much rock, minimalist/too little rock, one big rock, and now my newest design which I actually am happy with for once. It is actually made of about 15 small pieces of rock. All joined together by drilling holes, joining with plastic hanger pieces/rods, and gluing with two part epoxy and superglue. The Zoa garden in the back right of my tank was made with about 6-7 pieces and all super glue.

Share a photo of your tank also. Need to see what your working with insofar as live rocks.

It's easy to make your own. A masonry bit and some fiberglass driveway rod(s) from Home Depot. Drill a hole in the rock where you want to join it (the rods are .3125" which is 5/16") and go to town making caves, shelves, etc. If you want a little extra piece of mind, you can epoxy them together after you're happy with everything but the rods are plenty strong.

Since your early in the process you can try to do this right so you have a good foundation for your reef!!!

Few things that I learned band helped me.

Don't be afraid to smack apart a big rock with hammer and chisel. This gave me a lot of nice pieces to work with!! Being as though we are working with nano tanks, big pieces seem to make the tank look small.

Try to build a structure outside of the tank and make it look like one piece, but one piece that is proportionate to your tank. Then place it in your tank.

Built in a shelf or slope. Also if you break up your rocks, you can arrange them in any shape you want. Just try to make the seams of adjoining rock look natural.

Check out the link in my signature. It's my huild thread. You will see my past three years of blah scapes and my most recent which I love! I made this new scape by doing what I described above.

I've tried it all; too much rock, minimalist/too little rock, one big rock, and now my newest design which I actually am happy with for once. It is actually made of about 15 small pieces of rock. All joined together by drilling holes, joining with plastic hanger pieces/rods, and gluing with two part epoxy and superglue. The Zoa garden in the back right of my tank was made with about 6-7 pieces and all super glue.Share a photo of your tank also. Need to see what your working with in sofar as live rocks.

Good info, I'm in the same boat as op I can't aquascape to save my life.I'm gonna try your method.

I have found that emaco hydraulic cement is the best way to hold rocks together. In my experience it was way easier and stronger than putty.

There are various 'aquascaping' putties available for a premium price, or you could use good old trusty milliput. Rodding is another great way of getting gravity deifying scapes, and never underestimate the usefulness of a well place zip tie. They can be a pain to hide if its somewhere exposed, but zoas will soon grow over them along with other encrusting corals.

If you don't like the shapes you have with the rock you've got.......... Hit it with a hammer and make smaller bits of rock and re-join them with the above options into shapes you do like/want.

I repeat, do not use tufa. If your trying to build a real reef tank avoid tufa.

I had a bad experience with it. I was trying to use in a simple FOWLR and all it did was grow nasty dark green slimy algae. I don't think I could have put a coral on that if I tried.

I do recommend rodding. Just buy dry real reef rock. You will thank yourself later.

You got to soak it first and test soak waters parameters, different tufa has different trace elements. It can be very useful, especially for some high calcium requiring corals.

Archived