Cultivated Reef

Durso very loud

Bill Nye

I am setting up a new RR tank and the durso is so loud as the water enters the sump... sounds like niagra falls. I was on youtube and could hear some peoples dursos are nearly quiet. What am I doing wrong?

My set up is a 1 inch drain with a 1 1/4" durso pipe and a 3/4" return. The drain falls directly down into the sump (down pipe about 1" above water line). My return pump is a mag 5 which is attached using flex line that has two 90 degree angles in it.

There has to be something I can do because the sound is unbearable!

Putting a gate valve on the return line will allow you to adjust the flow rate. A slower rate will probably make for a quieter drain.

You have a vent hole for air to get in, right?

Maybe put a 45 degree elbow on the drain side so the water doesn't splash straight down.

If it's really bad, you could make a reverse durso in the sump. I ran one for a while, then switched to a filter sock set up, which actually quieted it down quite a bit.

I have mine below the water line but it's still kind of loud at full flow so I slapped a ball valve on it so I could adjust it. It's pretty much silent now.

Ok ran to Lowes and rigged a reverse durso together and it is 90 percent better. I think the rest of the noise I just have to get used to as tanks with sumps are nosier than those without.

For some reason it also fixed the fluctuation I was seeing in my overflow.

Ok so as I stated the reverse durso using 1 1/4" piping has pretty much silenced the water running into the sump but now I think the problem is the water flowing into the overflow is making it sound like a faucet is running constantly. This is a Reef ready Deep Blue tank with that weird adjustable weir and I was playing with it but I haven't had much success. Should I just cut a longer pipe to increase the height of my durso ... would this also increase the height of the water in the overflow so it doesn't drop as far???

Best of luck with your durso. I tried everything from raising the standpipe to reverse durso in the sump and I could not get it quiet on my rr tank. I finally broke down and replumbed my system with a herbie drain, using the the 2 holes in the tank for the drain and e-drain and running the return up over the back of the tank. It is vitrually silent now, and even though it was a lot of work and worry, I am thrilled with the decision.

Archived